Thread: Old timer getting back to ADOM

Question Old timer getting back to ADOM

Hello, guys. I'm an old fan of ADOM. I used to play back when 1.0 hadn't even been released and kept playing for years up until 1.1.1

Now I wanted to go back to it, and I see there's been a lot of new versions. I'm not interested at all in the tiles version (I find the cartoony art style to really clash with the darker mood of the game in general) and being a nostalgic old-timer, I was looking to have the same look and feel of the old DOS version. I think I've played 1.2.0 DOS version (on Win7/64bit with DosBox) a while back with no problems, but I hjave now downloaded the new version and the game just crashes constantly, so I decided to finally give the Windows version a go. I had never done it before because I had never managed to make it look like the DOS version (like this: https://imgur.com/a/KWKee and on full-screen). But now that I can't play the MS-DOS version, is there a way to make the Windows version look like the image above? I'd really appreciate some help, because this time the Google gods have deserted me... :/
    Last edited by btonasse; 01-05-2018 at 06:41 PM. Reason: image not showing

I have tried download some old-school fonts and changing adom.cfg to use them, but for some reason the font is only changed when I select some standard system font, like Arial, Georgia or whatever. My newly installed fonts have no effect when I set adom.cfg to use them.

The closest font I could find was Fixedsys. As far as full-screen goes, the best you can do is create a shortcut for adom.exe and then set it to run in a maximized window.

However, in the NotEye version it should be possible to get the appearance to match more closely:
    1. Switch to ASCII with F10.
    2. Use Alt+Enter to switch to full-screen.
    3. Use Ctrl+m r f to select a font (the default DOS font is an option).
    4. Use Ctrl+m x h to toggle health bars.
    5. Use Ctrl+m x i to toggle images in monster memory.
    6. Use Ctrl+m x I to toggle inventory graphics.

Thanks a lot. I've tried using the NotEye version, but it's just too slow, and I have a relatively powerful machine. I guess I'll just go back to an earlier MS-DOS version that doesn't crash.