Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What do you think of the 90 day limit?

I think the idea of a soft time constraint like this is quite creative and unique. At least I donīt know of any other game that has this effect. There are a lot of games with a hard time constraint, but what ADOM tries to do has the potential to give you an awesome sense of impending doom.

Itīs sad that the effect has almost been nerfed to death. I miss it.
    You steal a scroll labelled HITME. The orc hits you.

I might boost it to 100 or up to 120 days to allow Wilderness-oriented characters the chance to shine in the hands of unspoilt players.
    You constantly practice. You feel exhausted!

Just being curious... What is wilderness oriented character?
    So far rolled 15 casters with RoDS and shamelessly killed them within 200 turns. For eternium glory!
    (after 15 I stopped counting...)

Quote Originally Posted by Blank4u47 View Post
    That sounds pretty boring, besides; people are trying to stop chaos from destroying the world, not go on a fishing trip.
    Seriously? Do you know how much time I waste in games that have a fishing minigame? I probably spend more time fishing than playing the actual game.

I don't miss the effect, might as well not be there at all.
    My play-style though is usually slow build-up so that I feel prepared for anything.
    The only thing that the 90 day limit achieved for me was that it forced me to spend extra time collecting means of removing corruption.
    Otherwise, there was too little impact on the world for me to care.

If instead we had stuff like in Fallout 1 after obtaining the water chip - super mutants invading towns, killing inhabitants etc, then there would be incentive to make haste.
    Here's a few ideas that would work for me:
    Parts of CoC could get corrupted so that random rooms would turn into chaotic zones, something like chaos plane, starting from ~D48, ascending each level every 1k turns, then after it gets to D1, it starts spreading over the rest of the world.
    Higher generation of WMoPC and other chaos monsters as time goes by, dwarftown in flames, dwarves turning into dwarven chaos knights, Thrundarr cursing the player for failing to prevent that, random wilderness squares turning into scorched, mutated land, like the greater black unicorn glade meets emperor moloch level.
    Terrinyo invaded by chaos spiders and rats that chew on children and turn them into purple t's, cute dogs with tentacles and multiple eyestalks...
    Chaos should be this horrible thing that twists all of reality, not just the PC.
    Only when finally faced with what it does to the world, would the players really feel the need to deal with it ASAP, to stop it from turning beauty and innocence into corruption and vileness.
    "Hell is empty and all the devils are here."

My bad.

Being such a noob, I had the wrong Idea about what the 90 day limit was. I does not sound so bad.
    Maybe survival oriented characters should get an extension on the limit to 120 days. But all in all the 90 day limit does not seem to be a game breaker.

Quote Originally Posted by grobblewobble View Post
    I think the idea of a soft time constraint like this is quite creative and unique. At least I donīt know of any other game that has this effect. There are a lot of games with a hard time constraint, but what ADOM tries to do has the potential to give you an awesome sense of impending doom.

Itīs sad that the effect has almost been nerfed to death. I miss it.
    You should really check out Star Control II: The Ur-Quan Masters.

On top of being one of the greatest games ever made (seriously), it has a 5 year limit (it gets extended to 6 years if you complete a certain side quest). Once you pass that limit, the main villains in the game start spreading out from their home star systems and killing everything in their path. You start getting frantic last messages from your allies sent right before their worlds are destroyed, and it becomes a desperate race against the clock to find a way to beat the Kohr-Ah before they reach Earth. It's really cool, and kind of dark to go visit the blasted ruins of former inhabited planets that have been destroyed since you failed to win the game in time. It's sort of like what Blasphemous suggested later on in this thread, and what I would really like to see in ADOM: the incursion of Chaos gradually causing the game world to become increasingly twisted and corrupted.

In personalized mode you can turn off background corruption.

There is however no option to turn it up to pre 1.2 levels but I also don't know if it was THAT bad before or if thats how ppl remember it when at the same time not as good at the game.

Quote Originally Posted by blunk View Post
    In personalized mode you can turn off background corruption.

There is however no option to turn it up to pre 1.2 levels but I also don't know if it was THAT bad before or if thats how ppl remember it when at the same time not as good at the game.
    I am pretty sure I was better ADOM player in 1.1.1. It was that 'bad'... (I think it was proper, and current variant is easy mode).
    So far rolled 15 casters with RoDS and shamelessly killed them within 200 turns. For eternium glory!
    (after 15 I stopped counting...)

Yeah, it was really that 'bad'. I can remember playing post-90 day characters in 1.1.1 where I would get 2 or 3 corruptions just making my way through the UD to the Mana Temple, or clearing a vault. It legitimately added a lot of pressure to the late game, where being deep in the CoC felt pretty genuinely dangerous and you had to be very careful with your time.

That being said, I thought it added a lot to the game. I think it should really be improved now with something like Blasphemous suggested, since it doesn't feel like an important part of the game any more, whereas corruptions used to be a huge part of gameplay. (and are something I kind of miss)