Thread: Bugville and bards

Default Bugville and bards

I poked in to bugville fairly early as bard with the intent to cheese bugville and the temple.

However stuff was hard to tame and went very quick from neutral to aggro before tamed.
    I quickly scampered out unscathed from bugville w/o touching the temple.

Is there a an aggro trigger here to prevent bards cheesing this or was I too low level to effectively tame these or was my instrument too crappy?

(I was below level 20, Music was at 100, charisma around 15, uncursed flute.)

I think there was an RFE that explicitly addressed this cheese. Somewhere someone (probably Grond) has tested this at all levels and I think I saw something on these boards that it was nearly impossible to tame one even at level 50.
    Last edited by Tyrnyx; 01-18-2018 at 06:07 PM.
    Completed: All Races, All Classes. Twice.
    Fastest Run: Dwarf Mindcrafter - 34803 turns. No wand of tele.
    Challenge Games: C- CK (stupid ending), Platinum Girdle x10, Westside Story, Team Teleport - illiterate troll barb, Scroll of Omnipotence obtained
    ULE - DE Archer

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrnyx View Post
    I think there was an RFE that explicitly addressed this cheese. Somewhere someone has probably tested this at all levels and I think I saw something on these boards that it was nearly impossible to tame one even at level 50.
    Ooh, oh well lvl 23 and toughness on the rise, will maybe do icequeen first so I can brute force it safe with fireballs.

Btw funny with an orc who have more dex and le than str and to.

I believe this is due to the same bug with Calm Monster, where monster hostility almost immediately reverts from "neutral"/"semi-hostile" to "wants to eviscerate you."

Quote Originally Posted by psy_wombats View Post
    I believe this is due to the same bug with Calm Monster, where monster hostility almost immediately reverts from "neutral"/"semi-hostile" to "wants to eviscerate you."
    No, it actually seems to be something specific to the bug temple levels. Taming killer bugs elsewhere works fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrnyx View Post
    Somewhere someone (probably Grond) has tested this at all levels
    This was not me.

Quote Originally Posted by blunk View Post
    I poked in to bugville fairly early as bard with the intent to cheese bugville and the temple.

However stuff was hard to tame and went very quick from neutral to aggro before tamed.
    I quickly scampered out unscathed from bugville w/o touching the temple.

Is there a an aggro trigger here to prevent bards cheesing this or was I too low level to effectively tame these or was my instrument too crappy?

(I was below level 20, Music was at 100, charisma around 15, uncursed flute.)
    It is still possible to cheese this. Enter BUGWIL with Bard, play on instrument until greater claw bug becomes "friendly", but still not tame (attempting to tame it will most likely cause bug to become hostile). Then lure friendly bug from BUGWIL and enter any wilderness square. Now taming works perfectly. Haven't tried this with killer bugs, but I think it is also possible, you just need to lure bug to map's edge.

Quote Originally Posted by iquare View Post
    It is still possible to cheese this. Enter BUGWIL with Bard, play on instrument until greater claw bug becomes "friendly", but still not tame (attempting to tame it will most likely cause bug to become hostile). Then lure friendly bug from BUGWIL and enter any wilderness square. Now taming works perfectly. Haven't tried this with killer bugs, but I think it is also possible, you just need to lure bug to map's edge.
    Oh my intention wasn't really to grab an early uber pet it was to just cheese the bug temple.

Currently I probably have enough hps, booze and speed to grind it my normal way.