Thread: Another AoLS thread

Default Another AoLS thread

Trying my first avatar ending and the search for AoLS is starting to get ridiculous.
    EVERY place in the map is visited and cleared to the last level except the Tree level. All the pools are drained. Ratling fed, crone quests done, Keriax down, Water cave explored etc. No potions of exchange left for item polymorph.

So my question is simply: what is the best place for level 48 Human Wizard to scum for an amulet or wish (djinni ring)? I've been leveling up and waiting for items in Ice Queen dungeon level and Putrid Cave. Can anyone confirm if either of those is the best place for getting what i'm after?

Since you're a Wizard and you're high level you can get a Wish spell from Library and cast it once. Just wait for specific day of the month when there's mana cost reduction.

On a side note: how did you even get to lvl48 before diving into CoC?

Quote Originally Posted by AlterAsc View Post
    Since you're a Wizard and you're high level you can get a Wish spell from Library and cast it once. Just wait for specific day of the month when there's mana cost reduction.

On a side note: how did you even get to lvl48 before diving into CoC?
    This did cross my mind. Library is cleared and I do have the book. But I am going to get 10 point stat drain (it is going to be willpower hit) right? I tried searching wiki for how to learn and cast wish but either I did not find the right page or then the wiki is just full of that Archmage bullshit. I just need to cast it once without severe consequences but i assume that isn't possible.

The best answers to your question are probably: all experience talents on human, clearing crumbling dungeon that had several greater molochs, slow monster spell on myself and high exp that Ice Queen dungeon monsters give when you're around lvl30. Also FGJC5 had 10 titans but I don't think that contributed to the later leveling because I did it pretty early.

10 point stat drain is random stat. Also since you're not likely to cast it entirely from PP you'll also get severe negative training in Wi and To, losing several points there too. Of course, penalties are undesirable but it's guaranteed way to get your wish (provided you don't accidentally kill yourself during the process).

To read the book, you'd need a lot of time (base length is 3000+ turns) , so you need a lot of satiation for that too.
    To cast you want is to be L or C and date to be Silvernight/Darknight respectfully. That cuts down PP cost to 1500. You need your HP*2 + PP to be higher than that. Pump your satiation level to the max, drink all of relevant stat boosting potions and that's it.

Ok. Thanks Asc! I do have what it takes to cast it then.

I'll scum down in Ice Queen dungeon one more session (white dragons there hit about as hard as white wyrms now) just to make a Monday to go away. If and when it doesn't score me the amulet, I'm getting the wish spell whatever it costs. I've reached Mastery in crossbows and highly pre-trained polearms for later trident swinging during this ordeal.

Too bad pool sipping didn't work. If I don't get a wish from the frost giant vault, I usually score one from Dark Forge. I assume you already dug graves in the Griffyard?

If casting wish doesn't work, you can always scum the crumbling dungeon. Super high DL and ancient dragons and wyrms have a decent chance of dropping something. Only problem is that it's a high corruption area.

This may be redundant for you, but make sure you are very bloated before casting from hp, or you may starve to death when casting.

Quote Originally Posted by AlterAsc View Post
    To cast you want is to be L or C and date to be Silvernight/Darknight respectfully. That cuts down PP cost to 1500. You need your HP*2 + PP to be higher than that. Pump your satiation level to the max, drink all of relevant stat boosting potions and that's it.
    C and Darknight does not work for wish.

If you are not into casting can always do chaos alchemy ... (dip Moon Sickle or Chaos or Crown or smthing with corruption essence, to gen raw chaos pots, dip chaos pots into each other at DL1. If result is PoExchange use it, if not recycle the results.)
    So far rolled 15 casters with RoDS and shamelessly killed them within 200 turns. For eternium glory!
    (after 15 I stopped counting...)

Go to I50 and scum for threat rooms full on ancient wryms. kill them and see what they drop. repeat until you have your wish(es)

Thanks for all the info here.

I decided to make an ID dive for the amulet. Never used that cave in any of my serious games. It just feels like a very, very slow wish engine
    As I had never dived there, I was surprised how quickly top-tier monsters started to appear. That must have got something to do with my high XL. First heavy footsteps around I20.
    Some giant finally dropped a djinni ring on I61. As I was already that deep I checked the SIL and gave Malakai an acid bath.

After that trip I gotta tip my hat to all the fellas who have completed the iron man challenge.