Thread: Should killing Kherab not prevent access to Rolf?

Default Should killing Kherab not prevent access to Rolf?

I'm posting this as a discussion first, since I'm not sure how people feel about this.

I had this situation: my assassin was going back from D:32 via the shortcut.
    Kherab stood in my way and I accidentally stabbed him. Seeing as this is a level 27 assassin wielding Silence of the Dead... well it was a one-hit wonder.
    So now Kherab is dead and despite doing everything before that right, I am now going to be unable to access Rolf, correct?
    Should that be changed perhaps? You can already slaughter dwarven chaos knights indiscriminately without consequences for the quest.
    Kherab clearly is a very chaotic NPC and wants other dwarves dead. One could argue he's beyond salvation, just like DCKs.
    Maybe there should be some special quest given by the ancient dwarf or any other NPC related to dwarves, that would allow the player to legitimately kill Kherab without rendering Rolf inaccessible?
    I think with the lawful alignment of the whole questline, it's somewhat strange that killing a highly chaotic character prevents an otherwise also lawful PC from finishing the quest.
    Personally, I believe that sparing any regular L/N dwarves should be absolutely necessary but C ones? These have made the choice regarding their alignment.
    Also, it's not like there's 10 different Kherabs randomly roaming the dungeons, ready to be accidentally stabbed.
    True, it was my bad luck/misclick I was going with a super-powerful melee char and ran into him but still.

What do you think?
    "Hell is empty and all the devils are here."

I think the idea is that he's friendly and doesn't actively try to hurt you despite the fact that he's evil. I think it would sense if you got some reward for killing Kherab from some lawful guy I'd say otherwise but there's really no reason to kill him besides his guaranteed anvil. Just have to be careful in darkforge nowadays.

I don't mind one way or another but the fact that the Ultimate Dungeon is sealed off to Paragons of Order (since you need to grave-dig to get the Rolf line and volcano) is really silly.

pjsb1 I suppose I can agree with him being non-hostile and thus not a threat but then there are situations with non-hostile dwarven chaos knights, albeit rare. They can be safely stabbed with no repercussions.
    Conversely, tension rooms with dwarves can be nasty if you happen to cause a trapped door to explode and inadvertently kill a dwarf.
    I guess there will always be marginal cases.

I'm not sure how common a problem "accidentally killing Kherab" is for most characters haha.

(although "don't kill xxx monster" quests are generally ugly interface screw, more likely to be failed by stuff like button mispresses when luring or junk)

Yeah it's not a very common problem, that's for sure.
    Still I'm considering it more from the perspective of lore.
    I wish there was a quest to kill Kherab, maybe given by the Ice Queen?

Personally, I'd be happy with learning more about Kherab's backstory, since he's the only peaceful chaotic dwarf in the game, and I'd like to know about how he fell to Chaos and where he came from.