Thread: Describe your first death

Default Describe your first death

I can still remember my first death in ADOM.

I was playing an elven wizard, I went off to the VD dungeon and was wondering around the dungeon killing things when I ran out of food. I started to make a mad dash for the town, as I remembered seeing the food store there, but I was already in the red and starving. On my frantic rush back I killed a kobold and saw the corpse drop. I had already eaten goblin and orc before and I thought thank god something to eat, and that now I might have a chance to make it back to the store. So quickly I ate the kobold corpse, and then instantly realized that I just doomed myself. I only made it a few more steps in my already weaken state before dying. That's when I knew I would like this game.
    Last edited by Jeremiah; 03-15-2018 at 10:02 PM.
    AKA: Jbc
    1st win no spoiler & no cheating version 1.1.1
    Favorite Race Class Combo: Darkling Farmer

I just downloaded the game and immediately began playing, it didn't end well. I picked a troll barbarian and moved left until I found jackals which surrounded me and slowly tore me apart. I decided to print and read the manual at that point, I probably spent 2 days reading every part of it. This was the summer of '97 or '98 I think.

I think my first death was due to starvation cause I didn't know about the whole food thing, it was a first for me in games.
    Don't remember specifically, it must have been 20 years ago.
    "Hell is empty and all the devils are here."

I was in the third or fourth floor of the village dungeon and read the IBM Guild Manual - starved to death waiting for the confusion to wear off.(didn't know it was permanent and didn't know prayers did anything but heal at the time.) version 1.1.1

"you are the only cactus in the garden of my life" Gomez - Adams Family

Quote Originally Posted by Blasphemous View Post
    I think my first death was due to starvation cause I didn't know about the whole food thing, it was a first for me in games.
    Don't remember specifically, it must have been 20 years ago.
    Same here, I don't remember, but it was likely one of my many starvation deaths. I didn't realize you can pray for satiation and spent way too much time in the wilderness.
    You steal a scroll labelled HITME. The orc hits you.

It seems starvation may be a common first death, but a lesson quickly learned and not that hard to adjust for.
    AKA: Jbc
    1st win no spoiler & no cheating version 1.1.1
    Favorite Race Class Combo: Darkling Farmer

Looking at the weekly challenge games output, there are some funny death messages

Your rusty horned helmet melts away!
    Your bandage is burned to ashes!
    You notice a slurping sound in the distance.
    You die...
    The last thing noticed in your mortal life is some giant spider splorting out a web.

No idea but from what I recall of playing this in the 90s it was either starvation or wilderness encounter.

A ghul paralysed me and then slowly killed me, 1 HP at a time...