Thread: Fighting juggernauts, or not

Default Fighting juggernauts, or not

New to ADOM and loving it. Lifelong Rogue-like player (since playing Rogue in 1982, and decades of Nethack, and others), and somehow only just started playing ADOM this year. A couple hundred play hours in, and I'm still only just scratching the surface of the game.

So a semi-noob question: I've got what's probably my best game going thus far, with a decently equipped 20th level-ish Wizard. I was just now hoofing it through a dungeon and discovered a room full of juggernauts. This is the first time I've ever even encountered one of the things, let alone a couple dozen of them at once. I just pulled a cheat and looked at their info on the wiki, to see how rough they are (very). And I figured I'd finally register on this site here and ask ye veterans WWYD (what would you do)?

Fortunately I'm perma-invisible and I just opened the door, saw them, aggroed nothing, closed door. Even more fortunately, I don't actually need to take them on, as far as I can tell, as they're not in the way of the stairs, etc. So this is more a case of me considering playing curious cat and getting myself killed by foolishly trying to take them on for fun. It seems like I could Acid Ball them repeatedly, if I could survive long enough, but that seems wicked unlikely.

I'm also not sure if this is a room I've discovered that isn't random (dungeon/level D6:2). It's actually not a tension room, and the door is still intact, etc. I'm wondering if it's for a quest that I don't yet have. I still barely have a sense of the order in which it's wise to proceed through various quests, and haven't yet discovered the vast majority of them, I'm sure.

I would avoid the room. Killing them with ball spells while invisible isn't completely suicidal, but it's not really worth it either. Rooms filled with a single type of monster are a random dungeon feature.

I have no idea if juggernauts can destroy doors. It sounds like the type of monster that can. But in case the answer is no, you should know that ball spells can destroy things right through walls. If you are able to boost your willpower to the point where you get a 3+ ball radius, you can lock a door and destroy monsters behind it without any risk. Provided, again, that it are monsters that cannot destroy the door.
    You steal a scroll labelled HITME. The orc hits you.

Thanks, both!

I wish I could just encounter one of them to see what the fight is like. But I'm pretty sure this would just end up w/me dying or having to perform my Brave Sir Robin impression ("Run away! Run away!").

Quote Originally Posted by D'Artagnon View Post
    Thanks, both!

I wish I could just encounter one of them to see what the fight is like. But I'm pretty sure this would just end up w/me dying or having to perform my Brave Sir Robin impression ("Run away! Run away!").
    I'd say run away if you're a lvl20+ Wizard. I've encountered one juggernaut and I killed it with ammo of construct slaying (as a wizard but lvl40+ and having an artifact bow). You may need to collect quite a lot of ammo to get enough for cleaning the whole room. Juggernauts sometimes get speed boosts, so they can hit you from a few squares distance. They are one of the more dangerous monsters in the game, and D6 is the most dangerous easily accessible dungeon in the game.

A few things.

D6 aka crumbling dungeon can have some seriously dangerous stuff.
    DL range that suggests level 40+ and there was a message when you entered warning you.
    Nothing prevents you entering at level 20 but don't blame the game if you run in to a LOT of trouble.
    I'd say crumbling can easily be more dangeous than TOEF.

There are tension rooms and there are threat rooms, threat rooms dont have the exploding door, infact they can even be in open cavernous areas in lower CoC.
    Threat rooms can be very rewarding but also very dangerous.

Juggernaughts arent that bad, they're fairly slow and construct slaying ammo works wonders, with low hps penetrating attacks can be dangerous.
    I'd assume acid ball also works but if your willpower is too low that would take a lot of castings to clear out.