Thread: Hint request: Dwarven Gladiator

Default Hint request: Dwarven Gladiator

I'm trying to figure out what I assume is the Rolf quest, and I can't figure out how to satisfy the dwarven gladiator.

I've gotten two pieces of the map (GY and ID). I've been to the battlefield. I couldn't figure out what to do there, but I assume I need another piece of the map first.
    I've tried a lot of things to satisfy the dwarven gladiator, but he never seems happy.

Since he just wields an axe, boots, and pants, I've tried just an axe, leather boots, and a leather girdle. I've also clothes instead of girdle, or neither. Also done it just wearing pretty good gear.
    I've tried wielding Rolf's axe and a shield. I also tried the Gladius and Big Punch.
    I've dumped all other equipment while doing one of these tests in case that's what he didn't like.
    I've tried an eternium halberd in case he wanted an eternium weapon.

I assume it has to be something either I'm guaranteed or likely to find, so that you can complete this. (Rolf's is "guaranteed" for lawfuls, so I thought it fair game).

The only guess I have that I haven't tried is the AotME - but... (a)I don't want to go deal with that unless I have to. (b) The other quests have all been about the same difficulty level (GY, ID 13-15, UD) - requiring the AotME would be a giant leap up.

So... can I get a hint? Should I go back to the statue? Am I just missing something obvious with the gladiator?

Quote Originally Posted by Harwin View Post
    I've tried wielding Rolf's axe and a shield.

So... can I get a hint? Should I go back to the statue? Am I just missing something obvious with the gladiator?
    If you wielded shield and axe... well... you do not happen to be troll/orc?

If so, the only way is to arrange (like order companion to do it) his death. He ought to drop fragment on death, but obviously doing it yourself would beat counterproductive.

I guess, it;s not really a hint, but for these two races situation is rather stupid, IMHO.
    So far rolled 15 casters with RoDS and shamelessly killed them within 200 turns. For eternium glory!
    (after 15 I stopped counting...)

I'm a dwarf, so that's not the issue.
    So it is just a shield and axe combo - I'll try again. Maybe when I had a shield equipped. I had Rolf's axe, not a battle axe, and it didn't count.
    Thanks.

You need to wield the Rolf's axe in the left hand and the Rolf's shield in the right.

I had Rolf's axe in the left. I had _a_ shield in the right. If the gladiator requires Rolf's shield in particular, then I don't know what I'm going to do because I don't have it. I thought it was a random drop.

You can get it as a reward for Thrundarr's Fourth Quest, if you speak to him about Rolf beforehand.

Quote Originally Posted by Dlightfull View Post
    You can get it as a reward for Thrundarr's Fourth Quest, if you speak to him about Rolf beforehand.
    Thanks for the info - yeah I'm used to it being random, so I assumed I wouldn't need it because it's not guaranteed. Also(prior to getting to HMV) assumed that talking to him about Rolf was just to get a hint, not to actually affect rewards.
    Too late this time, but I'll try again with another character (and I suppose there's always a chance I'll get it as a drop)

Unfortunately, there isn't a chance that you'll get it as a random drop. That's not how artifacts work in adom.
    Last edited by Tyrnyx; 04-26-2018 at 01:40 AM.
    Completed: All Races, All Classes. Twice.
    Fastest Run: Dwarf Mindcrafter - 34803 turns. No wand of tele.
    Challenge Games: C- CK (stupid ending), Platinum Girdle x10, Westside Story, Team Teleport - illiterate troll barb, Scroll of Omnipotence obtained
    ULE - DE Archer