Thread: The Door that Trapped Itself

Default The Door that Trapped Itself

You close the door. You hear a strange clicking sound!
    A stone block drops from the ceiling in front of the door. You hear a pained grunt.

Okay, so what the hell just happened. The open door trapped itself?

My character is doomed, so it may have something to do with that, but... Has anyone heard of this?
    ADOM Guides - whatever you wanted to know about playing a certain class, but have been afraid to ask!

Check out my youtube channel to see my ADOM videos, including a completed playthrough of the game. I try to give instructions, so if you want to see some place you haven't been before and get some hints on how to deal with it, this might help! There's also some other games featured there that you might find interesting.

Monster on the other side triggered it?
    The Adom wiki: everything you need to know about Adom.
    http://ancardia.wikia.com/wiki/ADOM_Wiki

Something like this happened to me yesterday. I was searching for a hidden doors, found one and it detonated while I was still 's'earching. Didn't know that is possible.

I've created trapped doors too, IIRC the wand of door creation was cursed but I'd have to check that.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascaron View Post
    Monster on the other side triggered it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Subconscious
    Something like this happened to me yesterday. I was searching for a hidden doors, found one and it detonated while I was still 's'earching. Didn't know that is possible.
    The point is that the door had been open already, and became trapped upon closing.

Did you create the door, Silfir? If not, was it generated open, or had you opened it first?
    Wins:
    Creator, level 33 Drakish Beastfighter.

Regular dungeon door. I'm not sure if it was generated open. Even so, should it lock itself too? I just had to unlock it.
    ADOM Guides - whatever you wanted to know about playing a certain class, but have been afraid to ask!

Check out my youtube channel to see my ADOM videos, including a completed playthrough of the game. I try to give instructions, so if you want to see some place you haven't been before and get some hints on how to deal with it, this might help! There's also some other games featured there that you might find interesting.

Perhaps the product of dooming - can't think of anything else that would lock and trap any door you touch. Unless maybe trapped doors that are opens with knocking rearm themselves after being opened?
    Platinum Edition ADOMer
    http://gamesofgrey.com - check out my roguelikes!

Quote Originally Posted by Silfir View Post
    Regular dungeon door. I'm not sure if it was generated open. Even so, should it lock itself too? I just had to unlock it.
    Well, there's no such thing as an unlocked trapped door.

Perhaps it's possible to generate an open trapped door upon level generation, and the trap doesnt become active until the door is closed. But if it's based on dooming, that's simple enough to test.
    Wins:
    Creator, level 33 Drakish Beastfighter.

I'm pretty certain there are open doors in the dungeons that are trapped. Since they are open, you almost never realize that they are trapped. When you close them, it activates the trap. I haven't done extensive testing, but I do believe it to be the case. Traps are probably just as common among open doors as closed doors. We just never know because we rarely close doors that are open.

Unless there is a bad kitty.