Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: More Weird Tome stuff.

Default More Weird Tome stuff.

Just got the Weird Tome from the Ghost Librarian, and just for kicks, tried giving it to Khelvaster. (This is in the village, after saving him with AoLS.) Got the following message:

Khelavaster curiously looks at the uncursed weird tome. "Huh? Oh, I have read
    that a long time ago. Pretty interesting." Khelavaster drops the
    uncursed weird tome.

Haven't seen this documented anywhere. (searched the Guidebook and Forum)

Hmm, that is interesting.

I wonder, has anyone tried giving it to the ancient dwarf? Or Andor? Or any of the other random people in the chain? If so, what happened?
    The Adom wiki: everything you need to know about Adom.
    http://ancardia.wikia.com/wiki/ADOM_Wiki

Darned librarian refuses to give me the tome Has anyone found out yet why this happens? I have stealth 100 and have waited profusely large amounts of time in between 'C'hattings, and still nothing but 'psst!' and 'Heed the silence!'.
    Code:
    Really kick the child? [y/N]

....@.....
    ....t.....
    Yo dawg I heard you like buffalo so I put buffalo in your Buffalo now you can buffalo Buffalo buffalo while your Buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo!

Ultras: GE Farmer, Hurthling Thief, Orc Weaponsmith
    Wins: HE Priest, GE Wizard, Human Necromancer, Gnome Elementalist, HE barbarian, Gnome Mindcrafter, Hurthling Paladin, Troll Healer

2000 turns, I recall is how long it takes of silence. Spells, music, anything like that resets it.

No ideas otherwise.
    The Adom wiki: everything you need to know about Adom.
    http://ancardia.wikia.com/wiki/ADOM_Wiki

I'm a barbarian...no spells, no music I think maybe worms spawning or webs ripping ("You hear a popping noise" "You hear a ripping noise") might have something to do with it...but then, I don't think I'll be able to get it, because after i've cleared out those noises, he still won't give it to me (after waiting 2000 turns).
    Code:

....@.....
    ....t.....
    Yo dawg I heard you like buffalo so I put buffalo in your Buffalo now you can buffalo Buffalo buffalo while your Buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo!

Wins: HE Priest, GE Wizard, Human Necromancer, Gnome Elementalist, HE barbarian, Gnome Mindcrafter, Hurthling Paladin, Troll Healer

The guidebook says that there may be a die roll that determines that you can never get the weird tome, no matter how long you wait in silence. I do not know if this is true or not, however.

Oh, buh. I'll just have to go without the scrolls then.
    Code:

....@.....
    ....t.....

Spells are fine to use. Not sure about music... I normally wait 3000 turns before chatting with him to be sure.
    Platinum Edition ADOMer
    http://gamesofgrey.com - check out my roguelikes!

I could certainly believe there being a die roll for a small chance of just not getting the book no matter what... Just once I struggled, but oh how I struggled, only to eventually abandon the rift Weirdless.

It could also be a roll on the number of turns required, so that sometimes it requires less than 2000 but other times it requires more, and talking to the librarian (of course) resets it.

Not that I have any idea if what I'm saying could be true, but since it seems that no one actually knows how this works, it is an explanation like any other (and perhaps somewhat simpler than just having a roll that puts the weird tome out of your reach permanently, which would be strange).

Could cursing/dooming have any effect?