Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: the case of the chaotic necromancer

Default the case of the chaotic necromancer

Hi,

with my renewed interest in ADOM, I created a character and found myself in an interesting situation. Please advise!

I have a dark elven necromancer at level 12 but still no Healing. Right after starting the game I headed to the dangerous cave and made it to the mountain village. Picked up some good spells on the way, so my list looks like this:

Astoria St:15 Le:17 Wi:16 Dx:17 To:16 Ch: 2 Ap:11 Ma:20 Pe:18 C
    DV/PV: 20/5 H: 56(79) P: 96(96) Exp: 12/57110 M: 14817

Acid Ball : 324, 35pp (Effectivity: +0)
    Calm Monster : 761, 8pp (Effectivity: +1)
    Darkness : 1194, 4pp (Effectivity: +1)
    Farsight : 559, 17pp (Effectivity: +3)
    Frost Bolt : 584, 9pp (Effectivity: +16)
    Improved Fireball: 325, 30pp (Effectivity: +0)
    Invisibility : 324, 10pp (Effectivity: +1)
    Magic Lock : 319, 8pp (Effectivity: +1)
    Magic Missile : 487, 6pp (Effectivity: +11)
    Slow Monster : 820, 7pp (Effectivity: +1)
    Strength of Atlas: 796, 9pp (Effectivity: +5)
    Teleportation : 301, 22pp (Effectivity: +1)
    Web : 442, 12pp (Effectivity: +0)
    I even managed to get teleport control. I thought doing the Village dungeon would be a cakewalk, but then I realized it was pointless, since I'm chaotic and the healer won't teach me anything! The Chaotic way of geting the skill is closed, because I already killed the crime lord. I actually did it in order to move towards N, but it proved to be too little, and the damned amulet of law will rather kill me without healing than help me improve alignement.

I retrieved the doggie's corpse, spent time with the tiny girl, gave gold to beggars but I'm still at C. The Guidebook does mention that dark elven necromancers are truly devoted chaotics. I got the fast healing talent to help me cope, but still without any reliable ways of restoring HPs further progress is tedious and dangerous.

Any suggestions as to next move? Also, do you have any experience with the Necromancy skill? What corpses make good slaves and are they even worth bothering with? I'm refraining to use it now because it's probably a chaotic act.

Necromancy is excellent for training mana.

If you're looking for a better method of regaining health, you could always scum the ID for a healing spellbook (Cure Light or Serious Wounds, Heal, etc.)
    If you still want to become more lawful, find a nice altar and make small sacrifices to move your alignment towards that of the altar. Be careful though, and take a look at the precautions advised in the guidebook.
    Normal - GE Ranger, Human Monk, GE Wizard, Hurthling Beastfighter, Hurthling Farmer
    Ultra - ULE GE Wizard

Have you found a grey or white altar anywhere?

Quickling corpses make great slaves if you can get them. In one of my very few necro games I had the luck to generate two quickling corpses very early in the game (SMC). They made terrific ghul slaves.
    You steal a scroll labelled HITME. The orc hits you.

yeah there is a white one in the puppy cave but I don't know what to do with it

Take off all equipment except for a single worthless item in your missile slot. Drop everything except your gold beside the altar. Lock yourself in the room and starting saccing 1 gold piece at a time. If the missile gets turned to dust then replace it. It shouldn't take long to reach NC.

Necromancy is great fun by the way, and a brilliant way to train Mana up hugely.
    Platinum Edition ADOMer
    http://gamesofgrey.com - check out my roguelikes!

Quote Originally Posted by reich View Post
    yeah there is a white one in the puppy cave but I don't know what to do with it
    Take off and drop almost all of your equipment. Leave just one gold piece in whatever slot you can stick it in, or have an artifact equipped, then sacrifice 1gp on the altar repeatedly until you reach the desired alignment. You can stay neutral ( the color the Dwarftown altar is if you've generated DT while chaotic) or you can keep sacrificing until you reach LN status, 'cause that's as far as a lawful altar will take you. Keep in mind that once you're neutral you can wear the amulet without having any problems with HP, since it won't damage you, just itch, which is a purely flavor effect, though it's useful for tests, if you want to see how often the amulet activates.

As Fantomfang said, make small offers on it to move your alignment toward lawful. Gold works best, just sac 1 gold piece a time.

It might be wise to unequip everything except one unimportant item, just in case the lawful god is very angry with you, because the lawful god could destroy your equipment in that case. But do not unequip everything, because if the god wants to destroy your equipment and he sees that you don't have any, he will doom you instead.

EDIT: oops, response is a little late I see.
    You steal a scroll labelled HITME. The orc hits you.

Doom you? No, the bigger problem is when he strikes you with a bolt of true matter for over 100 damage.
    Platinum Edition ADOMer

Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    Doom you? No, the bigger problem is when he strikes you with a bolt of true matter for over 100 damage.
    Gods to whom you've never paid allegiance don't normall get THAT angry. I've only seen it happen with former gods of PCs who have since changed alignment and left those gods while they were pretty angry with the PC. He shouldn't really have any problems like that, Grey, don't go around scaring the guy

In ADOM you must be scared of everything :P
    Platinum Edition ADOMer