Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: the case of the chaotic necromancer

If you are going to rob the shop in the fashion that Jack the Ripper explained, remember to talk to Yergius and learn pickpocketing first, otherwise he will no long teach it to you.
    You steal a scroll labelled HITME. The orc hits you.

i'm 100% sure that if you save the carpenter while chaotic you can come back at any time after that to receive the reward while neutral. also, killing franf niest, the mad doctor, is a lawful act. With De necro's i generally do the village quest, talk to the old man, kill the doctor and sometimes I even do the puppy cave tog et to NC w/o an altar.

Yes, you can definitely save the carpenter whilst chaotic and claim the reward later. It's a fairly lawful deed to do, but I must admit that it's unlikely to be of great help to a DE Necro. Altars are your best bet for changing alignment.
    Platinum Edition ADOMer
    http://gamesofgrey.com - check out my roguelikes!

I feel silly for being so cautious about this; the alignment jumped to N- after sacrificing just 6 gps. A message 'You feel your morals changing' was displayed.

By the way, if you have access to a cure wound spell, you can make an alarm trap on VD:4. Get some monsters (summon monster?) to fight and get hurt, and walk over to the healer and talk to him and (l)earn some more. Repeat at will. That will improve your dice with the healing skill, which should be helpful in raising it. And who knows what the healer will say once your healing skill reaches 100.
    ADOM General's warning: Treasure Hunting causes slowness, frailty, terrible markmanship and is dangerous to your characters' health

Quote Originally Posted by reich View Post
    I feel silly for being so cautious about this; the alignment jumped to N- after sacrificing just 6 gps. A message 'You feel your morals changing' was displayed.
    Don't. Caution is the name of the game in ADOM. Well, no, actually that's 'ADOM', but caution is how you survive . You get that message when changing from C to N on a L altar, or from L to N on a C altar. Just keep sacrificing gp until you reach lawful. If you want to keep asking about smaller details, feel free to ask on IRC: irc.freenode.org , channel's name is #adom. Some (most?) of the people here hang out around there as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Molach View Post
    By the way, if you have access to a cure wound spell, you can make an alarm trap on VD:4. Get some monsters (summon monster?) to fight and get hurt, and walk over to the healer and talk to him and (l)earn some more. Repeat at will. That will improve your dice with the healing skill, which should be helpful in raising it. And who knows what the healer will say once your healing skill reaches 100.
    Do I understand you correctly: if I heal a monster in Jharod's sight, he will count this as another act of mercy and teach me again? Can it be a hostile monster? I have the Calm Monster spell...

Just keep sacrificing gp until you reach lawful.
    I intend to stay neutral for now.

You know what, most of the spellbooks I read, I brought them to VD 1 were there is the room with the stones that 'almost look like rows of books'. I think that's why I got so large nubers of castings despite a lowly (for a spellcaster) Learning score. Having 'Treasure Hunter' probably also helped, I just got Acid Bolt on VD3! But the spellbooks at Barnabas still intrigue me, they're Fire Bolt, Magip Map and Cure Serious Wounds, all very useful. Plus, there is a nice balanced boomerang which I won't be able to afford fore some time now (over 90k gps)...

Default Jharod Mechanics?

Quote Originally Posted by reich View Post
    Do I understand you correctly: if I heal a monster in Jharod's sight, he will count this as another act of mercy and teach me again? Can it be a hostile monster? I have the Calm Monster spell...
    Yes, it is another act of mercy and he'll teach you again, which means he'll keep improving your dice, and giving you a blessed stethoscope (at least on the second teaching he certainly will). Once healing is at 100, he'll start giving you blessed potions of extra (or was that ultra?) healing. I think you can hit the monster on the head, thus wounding it, calm it with the spell, heal it, and repeat. IIRC you shouldn't wound it right in front of Jharod, though, just heal it there. Perhaps lure it to him while it's still hostile and wound it, calm it down there, heal it, get training and repeat. I'm not ENTIRELY sure about how the mechanism works, whether or not the healed critter needs to be non-hostile or it doesn't matter, whether the PC mustn't have caused the wounds, or be seen by Jharod causing them, or it doesn't matter. Better to wait for a second opinion on this.

! But the spellbooks at Barnabas still intrigue me, they're Fire Bolt, Magip Map and Cure Serious Wounds, all very useful. Plus, there is a nice balanced boomerang which I won't be able to afford fore some time now (over 90k gps)...
    Try the shop-robbing method I described above in the thread. If Barny sees you, then you can just drop the book and act like the innocent being you're NOT, but maybe it'll work

Quote Originally Posted by Jack the Ripper View Post
    Yes, it is another act of mercy and he'll teach you again, which means he'll keep improving your dice, and giving you a blessed stethoscope (at least on the second teaching he certainly will). Once healing is at 100, he'll start giving you blessed potions of extra (or was that ultra?) healing. I think you can hit the monster on the head, thus wounding it, calm it with the spell, heal it, and repeat. IIRC you shouldn't wound it right in front of Jharod, though, just heal it there. Perhaps lure it to him while it's still hostile and wound it, calm it down there, heal it, get training and repeat. I'm not ENTIRELY sure about how the mechanism works, whether or not the healed critter needs to be non-hostile or it doesn't matter, whether the PC mustn't have caused the wounds, or be seen by Jharod causing them, or it doesn't matter. Better to wait for a second opinion on this.
    So this implies that it is not necessary to bother with Yrrigs at all, just arrange that healing of a random monster and you get the training? That's good to know...

No, it isn't necessary. Here's the relevant excerpt from the Guidebook:
    Jharod will teach non-chaotic PCs the Healing skill, or provide a blessed stethoscope or blessed potion of ultra healing and increase the knowledge of the skill for those PCs that already have it, providing the PC is able to prove his ability to show "mercy."

This can be done in two ways. The first is healing wounded monsters with any healing spell or potions of healing. The wounded monster must not have been damaged by the PC. A pet can wound the monster. The second involves Yrrigs the carpenter, who has become insane due to his lengthy stay in the dungeon. Yrrigs can be found on the last level of the dungeon, level seven. He will be a purple 't' and will be hostile. He is moderately dangerous. Despite his purple color, Yrrigs does not have a corrupting melee attack, nor does using Mindcraft against him corrupt a Mindcrafter. Ideally he should be led to Jharod, who will heal him.