Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: the case of the chaotic necromancer

I just found bracers of war in a gnome & hyena vault at CoC 7, wheee! "Ain't got no grills but I still wear bracers!"

I don't remember having them before, but I've seen you people talk they're good.

Oh yeah man, even if it weren't for the crap you normally have in that slot, they still would be one of the best artifacts in the game by my reckoning (darn you bracers for your rarity...)
    Normal - GE Ranger, Human Monk, GE Wizard, Hurthling Beastfighter, Hurthling Farmer
    Ultra - ULE GE Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by reich View Post
    I just found bracers of war in a gnome & hyena vault at CoC 7, wheee! "Ain't got no grills but I still wear bracers!"

I don't remember having them before, but I've seen you people talk they're good.
    Along with Preserver the amulet they're probably the best non-weapon artifact in the game. My current archer pickpocketted the BoW off an orc in the vault on PC 6

I'm borrowing this DE necro thread to ask some questions instead of starting another one.
    Right now I'm playing a DE necro for a second OCG attempt. Haven't gotten very far yet, but he is taking shape nicely. I think I've figured out how to avoid the mistakes I made the last time, but there is still one issue: how to kill Andor Drakon. Acid ball works well enough, but it would raise his speed too much if I relied solely on it. Poisoned humanoid slayers could be an option, but it would be extremely painful to scum for the weapon skills with a necromancer. Minions would only be worthwhile if they are created with quicklings, but their corpses don't exactly grow on trees. Perhaps a combination of the three would work? Am I missing any other strategies?
    For the moment, however, I face a more immediate problem. I'm in the CoC graveyard, and there seem to be something wrong with the save file so that I can only perform a single action upon loading the game, then the game automatically saves and exits with no error messages. The game would obviously be unplayable if I can't find a solution to this. Any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by reich View Post
    The bracers of war grant regeneration, which makes the Healing skill redundant and useless. Embrace C-, it's fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Lich View Post
    For the moment, however, I face a more immediate problem. I'm in the CoC graveyard, and there seem to be something wrong with the save file so that I can only perform a single action upon loading the game, then the game automatically saves and exits with no error messages. The game would obviously be unplayable if I can't find a solution to this. Any ideas?
    I've had that happen to me before a couple of times. Sometimes it went away if I would load the game, then immediately save and exit. Other times it kept closing after every action, but once I went up or down a set of stairs, (don't remember which,) things returned to normal. Things continued to work normally, even when returning to that level.
    You hear the cries of the crowd: "Freebird!! Freebird!! Freebird!!"

You play some tunes on your lute.

I'm borrowing this DE necro thread to ask some questions instead of starting another one.
    Right now I'm playing a DE necro for a second OCG attempt. Haven't gotten very far yet, but he is taking shape nicely. I think I've figured out how to avoid the mistakes I made the last time, but there is still one issue: how to kill Andor Drakon. Acid ball works well enough, but it would raise his speed too much if I relied solely on it. Poisoned humanoid slayers could be an option, but it would be extremely painful to scum for the weapon skills with a necromancer. Minions would only be worthwhile if they are created with quicklings, but their corpses don't exactly grow on trees. Perhaps a combination of the three would work? Am I missing any other strategies?
    I've always been partial to just thumping him with a melee weapon, regardless of the class. If you hit Vanquisher for your crowning gift for example, well, I think your problem basically solves itself. Uh, throw a PoCC at him to neutralize his melee attacks.

Walk/teleport yourself off the level. The rest of your game should play normally, except for that one area.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

Quote Originally Posted by JellySlayer View Post
    I've always been partial to just thumping him with a melee weapon, regardless of the class. If you hit Vanquisher for your crowning gift for example, well, I think your problem basically solves itself. Uh, throw a PoCC at him to neutralize his melee attacks.
    Or two melee weapons; my last (and so far only) OCG (a DE mindcrafter) used Needle and Sting to great effect on ChAoS. +50 to-hit means overcoming Andor's DV isn't a problem, plenty of damage; low-skill attacks cost 2000+ EPs but that's not much of an issue as IIUC background corruption is figured on a per player turn basis.

Just be careful about what you're wielding when you kill him.

For an OCG it doesn't matter. It's only the ultras that have the trident requirement.