Thread: 6420 white stones?

Default 6420 white stones?

So I was playing a paladin; I had been wearing an amulet of order for a while, and at level 10 I got crowned with Justifier, killed Keethrax, gave the corpse to Guth'Alak and completed the quest. I had heard that the druid quest draws alignment towards neutrality; so, figuring that I was at 6000 white stones before killing Keethrax, I then (after chatting with Guth) read a scroll of balance.

You have a vision. You see a huge scale. The left side is empty. On the right side there are 6420 white stones. The right side of the scale weighs more.

Can anyone explain what just happened? Either the Guidebook is wrong, or cursed scrolls of balance lie. I didn't think to make a backup of the save before continuing, sadly.

I think the guidebook says that because picking up the druid corpse is a chaotic act, which will draw you toward neutral, but the turn in is a lawful act, it balances out mostly in the end. should check before and after picking up the corpse.
    To this day I have not once scummed in ADOM.
    Probably why I dont have a win.

My main point here is that my character is impossibly lawful; the details about Keethrax were just for people trying to reproduce.

It could be that not all acts check for the 6000 stones limit properly... Or that the scroll was indeed cursed.
    ADOM Guides - whatever you wanted to know about playing a certain class, but have been afraid to ask!

Check out my youtube channel to see my ADOM videos, including a completed playthrough of the game. I try to give instructions, so if you want to see some place you haven't been before and get some hints on how to deal with it, this might help! There's also some other games featured there that you might find interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by sorear View Post
    My main point here is that my character is impossibly lawful; the details about Keethrax were just for people trying to reproduce.
    I think the status of the scroll is to blame for you being impossibly lawful.

The scroll was definitely cursed, however, the guidebook states the effect of scrolls of balance as independant of status. If you are correct, the guidebook is still wrong.

My tests:

I read 10 uncursed scrolls. Each time, they said 2206 white stones.
    I read 10 blessed scrolls. Each time, they said 2206 white stones.
    I read 20 cursed scrolls. They gave values ranging from 1533 to 2884, with an average value of 2165.

I think cursed scrolls give a random figure that is, typically close to the correct figure but not the exact right figure.
    The Adom wiki: everything you need to know about Adom.
    http://ancardia.wikia.com/wiki/ADOM_Wiki

Cursed scrolls of balance gives wrong results.

With 10000 trials (real alignment was +4451) the maximum error between real alignment and the value given by cursed scroll was +737 and -731.
    Average error was -1.5 and average deviation was 249.2.

2464 trials had ABS(error) < 100.
    5015 trials had ABS(error) < 220.
    5572 trials had ABS(error) < 250.
    8919 trials had ABS(error) < 500.