Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: This forum needs...

Fly to emirates and kill him having fun...
    So far rolled 15 casters with RoDS and shamelessly killed them within 200 turns. For eternium glory!
    (after 15 I stopped counting...)

Wasn't he on one of the Cook Islands?
    ADOM Guides - whatever you wanted to know about playing a certain class, but have been afraid to ask!

Check out my youtube channel to see my ADOM videos, including a completed playthrough of the game. I try to give instructions, so if you want to see some place you haven't been before and get some hints on how to deal with it, this might help! There's also some other games featured there that you might find interesting.

Wherever he is, I think we can wait until he gets back... no need to DHL the man a postcard to his honeymoon suite... not that there wouldn't be a certain humour in such an action...

Quote Originally Posted by Silfir View Post
    With all respect for the wiki, it's an outside source and not affiliated with this forum... And just like jaakkos' server, it's highly possible for a newbie to find this forum and not know about the wiki, equally likely as he is to not know about the server - he would find out about the wiki from people talking about it and from Ascyron's signature instead of - you guessed it - a stickied thread or an entry in the stickied ADOM Links thread. I'm not even sure what you're talking about. How does the wiki relate to new people knowing or not knowing about the server? Besides, it's located on a service that sometimes loads slowly and is ridden with ads (though overall bearable) - wouldn't it be much preferable if people can stay on this nice ad-free forum instead?
    Forums are great for discussions, but I think wikis are way more useful for presenting facts (such as a list of links, or a list of reasons why TH sucks, or instructions on how to use jaakkos' server). And using the wiki for those things would bypass the whole sticky-threads issue, because obviously you dont need to make wiki pages sticky.

Then *maybe* make a thread with the link to the wiki and sticky it if you really really want to.

There's a lot of cool ADOM stuff people don't know about. Rather than randomly picking it up after weeks of lurking or posting ("Hold on, I can play ADOM over the internet? And other people can watch me play? Why didn't I know this?!") stickying the relevant threads would not only save us old forum nuts the trouble of seeping through the archives to post a link, it would instantly show people these things exist without having to stumble over them at some other point and then coming up with the courage to ask and risk sounding like a n00b - this is what I mean by newbie friendly. Even stickying the ADOM Links thread alone would go a long way.
    But still, the only one that could maintain such a link list would be the thread starter, since he is the only one who can edit the first post. Too much power.

I'll definitely agree that spam is much more annoying than thread titles with typos. But both are annoying and there are no reasons not to fix them if asked to if you've got someone who can do that, right?
    I dont *really* like it, but as i said somewhere above, I'm fine with basic typo fixes.

I don't want to come off like we're telling Thomas how to run his forum, that's what's making me feel somewhat reserved about holding a vote and dumping a community choice in his lap - it smells a bit of "Appoint this person or your community is sad", even if we don't mean it that way.
    1. I wont sign my postcard with "The ADOM community" or anything like that, for I can only speak for myself. I'll sign it with Epythic, and give him a link to this thread. [EDIT: And I really dont care if you disagree about me contacting him. I think its a good idea to do it, therefore I will. Btw, remember that TB himself has said that he likes postcards, so I guess it *is* gonna be fine.]
    2. Its just a recommendation, if he doesnt like it he can still burn the postcard. But that he might possibly not like it or get it wrong or anything is not a reason not to ask, or to tell him what we (each of us, not "The Community" (whatever that would be) -- but still votes are a great way to get an overview) would like

I am certainly fine with discussion, though. I feel a good moderator could add a lot to this forum
    Wrong attidute.

A moderator cant really be a bad moderator if his only job is removing spam. I personally do not want him to do anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by Soirana View Post
    Quote for truth. From my past experience on local forums one of problem is detecting good moderator. It has really nothing to do with being good player, having certain number posts, dedication to community etc. More like a blind guess which often goes wrong.
    "Remove all spam threads, other than that just behave like everyone else" != "Here are the mod tools, use them, try to be a good mod"

The more tasks/powers a mod has, the more possibilities for him to fuck up there are.

Now how to reach Thomas?
    As I said, I'll send him a postcard. No joke. If you want to contact him yourself, feel free, but this is what I will do.
    But I'll wait for a few more days because a) I want a polished, creative front side and I do not have time *right* now and b) I want to wait till we've reached consensus on the issues we spoke about here.
    Last edited by Epythic; 09-02-2009 at 07:06 PM.
    Of course it's unfair - that's the whole point.

The Adom wiki: everything you don't want to know about Adom.
    http://ancardia.wikia.com/

I think the postcard idea is fine, and certainly can't do any harm.

I agree with everything Epythic says. A moderator should have the least power possible. Otherwise power corrupts, yada yada, or can be misused with good intentions and upset the community. I personally love the absence of moderators on this forum, and it's only the present spam problem that is causing any upset. Let's try and maintain our open and unmoderated community.
    Platinum Edition ADOMer
    http://gamesofgrey.com - check out my roguelikes!

Look, I'm all for clear-cut responsibilities and all that jazz. I didn't think correcting typos would already set off the alarms - and I guess it's the stickies that did it. I thought there was some degree of consensus that it would be nice to have someone who can sticky threads, but if that crosses the line to "too much power" to you...

Quote Originally Posted by Epythic
    Wrong attidute.
    Let's not get into that one, shall we? As much as you could accuse me of naiveté I could accuse you of paranoia.

As for using the unofficial wiki to keep tracks of official forum threads in order to help newbies on the official forums... Of course, if Thomas decides to endorse the unofficial wiki instead of realizing his plans to make an official one, that's on the table. Not our decision though. (In the meantime, someone could start making the relevant wiki article, so I can link to that one in my own posts on non-stickied threads, as the idea of having a repository like that is very sound )
    Last edited by Silfir; 09-02-2009 at 08:35 PM.
    ADOM Guides - whatever you wanted to know about playing a certain class, but have been afraid to ask!

Check out my youtube channel to see my ADOM videos, including a completed playthrough of the game. I try to give instructions, so if you want to see some place you haven't been before and get some hints on how to deal with it, this might help! There's also some other games featured there that you might find interesting.

Honeymoon? Oops, I had no idea, I feel so stupid.

If you want to contact him yourself, feel free
    No way, but I like the card you came up with.
    You steal a scroll labelled HITME. The orc hits you.

I'm still with you on this.

Spam removal
    Thread stickying
    Typo-corrections

Can't see what harm these things would do to the forums, and I don't think that undertaking those responsibilities could corrupt all too much, this forum has a much too low danger level for that to happen.
    Last edited by Necropassion; 09-02-2009 at 09:56 PM.
    Suddenly a stream of acid pours down from the ceiling! The cute dog is horribly mutilated by the acidic fluids! The cute dog dies!

Quote Originally Posted by Necropassion View Post
    I'm still with you on this.

Spam removal
    Thread stickying
    Typo-corrections

Can't see what harm these things would do to the forums, and I don't think that undertaking those responsibilities could corrupt all too much,t his forum has a much too low danger level for that to happen.
    (emph mine)

The problems I see with thread stickying:
    - if the thread gets old and outdated and the mod disappears, we are stuck (bad pun, i know) with the thread...
    - who gets to decide which thread is important enough to be made sticky?
    - owner of sticky thread can still modify the post at will -- and that way basically put any message he likes right on top of the forum

And I still fail to understand why you think we'd *need* this. Can't we just stick to spam removal? Which is why this thread was started, and what the opening post says?
    Last edited by Epythic; 09-02-2009 at 09:30 PM.
    Of course it's unfair - that's the whole point.

The Adom wiki: everything you don't want to know about Adom.
    http://ancardia.wikia.com/

Looks like there is consensus about the spam removal but not about anything else. Since a decision based on implementing force and power should be based on consensus imho, it seems obvious that mod power should be limited to spam removal only (unless a different consensus can be reached).

Lets not try and make things unnecessary complicated. There is no need to splatter a rat with a brutal large eternium hammer of devastation (-1, 7d10+16).
    Last edited by modular; 09-02-2009 at 09:30 PM.