Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: "Saving" your game

Default "Saving" your game

We all do this. If you haven't, you are a better man that I am Gunga Din.

I was curious as to how much people do this. When I started playing the game, I "saved" the game every few steps and would restart if I didn't get an outcome that I liked (I.E. Getting cold immunity from crowning). Eventually I progressed through the game and didn't need to "save" nearly so often. With intermittent "saving," I achieved the Neutral Ultra Ending. It was wonderful and glorious and I partied for weeks on end, but soon I figured out that I felt my victory cheapened by the "saving". It became my goal to win the game without the dreaded "save". Working my way through, I would get frustrated at the slowdown between levels 25 and 50 generally rush headlong into an early death. Finally with a Bard of some sort for a challenge, I made it without "saving".

I now only "save" once I have completed major parts of the game in the case that my computer craps out or ADOM encounters a bug. (Multiple 30's level characters lost this way!)

How much do you do this? If you are brave enough to share.

P.S. If you don't know what "saving" is, it is copying your .svg file to another folder so that if you die in an untimely fashion, you can put your character back in the savedg folder. (Or other saving shenanigans that are not part of the ADOM game itself.)

The only time I've "saved" was to move a game from one computer to another computer. I've never save-scummed (the popular term for what you are describing), but I've also never won a game. I'm ok with that. It's supposed to be hard.
    Bowen, Knight of the Old Code

I did the same that Bowen.

I copied my save file to my fathers computer to play a little.
    I never won a Adom game...

Wow, that's great you guys. I may have been less mature than you as I was 16 years old. That's my only defense. I will at least say that I think that saving is different from save-scumming. In my mind saving is making sure that if you die a horrible death you can go back to an old saved game. Save-scumming is saving and then repeatedly quitting until you pull the thing that you want. I did this earlier in my ADOM career when I as absolutely sick of waiting for an Amulet of Life-Saving or a Scroll of Danger! I also used this once to descend to the special level of the infinite dungeon at only level 16!

Hmm.

No. Any sort of reverting to an old save game (be it because you died, didn't get an arti drop etc) is save scumming, and against the 'rules'. Generally, people don't do it. At least, the people that used to regularly posted on r.g.r.a didn't, although admittedly this was about 6 or 7 years ago when NZ ISPs still provided usenet access.

I did it for a little while myself, and I've gotta say, it ruined the game for me to a certain extent. I stopped enjoying it. Removing the threat of permadeath removed some of the excitement.

Also, please never post a save-scummed victory post unless you have it up in neons that you cheated

Last year I finished the game without ultra ending with human barbarian (and save-scumming =)). After this I play without svg copying. ) But it is toooo terrible, when your orc beastfighter meets the ghost! I hate undeads in fair game. I remember many times when single ghoul paralyses and kills my strong berserker.

P.S. By the way! It would be good, if the JADE had more serious protection from save-scumming!
    Last edited by yisk; 03-07-2008 at 06:28 PM.

That's why I stopped playing melee characters. Not enough 'outs' for tricky situations.

Quote Originally Posted by Baranor View Post
    Wow, that's great you guys. I may have been less mature than you as I was 16 years old. That's my only defense.
    WHAT? I'm 15! no defense.
    I never won a Adom game...

Ok, so then I was an immature 16 year-old and you are a sage and wise 15 year-old.

I'm honestly surprised that no one saves at all! Considering that I have played up to level 10 around 10,000 times. Save-scumming has allowed me to play parts of the game on a more regular basis that I would never get to play.

I've beaten the game by savescumming. I've been trying to beat it again without savescumming since (nearly 2 years <_<) and havent even been able to get the water orb xD.
    Ancient Domains of Insanity
    Insane Dungeon of the Rogues
    Twitch

If you happen to know of a location to a missing chapter of ADOI, please contact me. <3