Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: [ancardia.ath.cx] "Kill all user processes" option to be removed due to misuse

Quote Originally Posted by CheatMan View Post
    Adom freezes for me when i play faster than the server. i'm used to playing it in DOS mode, so i go real fast on my keystrokes. Eventually, if i go too fast on my commands, the server freezes.

When it jams, i attempt to hit space a few times nothing happens, i leave it be for a few minutes nothing happens, then i kill the process.

So now, if i'm playing and it freezes, i have to make the server send an IRC notification to server mainteners and pray they're online? If they aren't, that means I can't play for a few hours? And if they are, I have to wait 5+ minutes so they can look into it before they kill the process for me?

I'm sorry, but this isn't convenient at all. I don't want to have to wait several minutes to play. the kill process should still be an available option, just remake it so that it leaves you those bug reports in another location.
    I have never seen anyone play faster than I do, and I have also never seen this "jam" effect. So you prefer losing high-level characters to waiting a while? I certainly don't. Or maybe the kill processes option needs some kind of character level check?

Quote Originally Posted by Soirana View Post
    i believe all times i got stuck were crashes due to massive drops on altar.

I actually loved "easy" option. Why i should bother for something else... [no i won't buy your perfectionism as reason.]
    This isn't perfectionism, this is at least three people have shot themselves in the foot with this. It needs some kind of safety; maybe restricting it to users who appear to be Soirana?

There is another fairly obvious approach, of rearranging the backup system so that backups are restored on start instead of end and unnatural termination restores them. I don't really like the idea of putting a "Save Scum" option on the main menu, though.

Look guys, I think I figured out a neat solution.

You do have the kill processes option, but you will need to give a good reason for it (more than 10 characters )

So we shall see if you fools start messing around!

Edit: this screen was now added:

KILLING YOUR PROCESSES
    ----------------------

Please give a brief explanation for why you are doing this.
    It must be at least 10 characters long, and admins will
    most likely read it. Thank you

Note: for interactive help, please join #adom on irc.freenode.org
    or #ancardia on ancardia.ath.cx!

Type in your message and hit enter. Your ADOM processes will then
    be slaughtered.

>
    Last edited by jaakkos; 09-18-2009 at 11:03 PM.