Thread: Is this the best wooden shield possible?

Default Is this the best wooden shield possible?

My Dark Elf Merchant found a wooden shield (+3) [+6, +4) today in the small cave. It's the biggest outlier of an item that I can remember finding so now I'm wondering how close it is to the best possible stats for the item

Yes, it is indeed the best possible variation. +3 is the maximum bonus to the base stats.
    gremlin - karmic lizard, dark orc, acid vortex, staring eye - dragon turtle, fairy dragon, ogre lord, minotaur emperor - pit viper, orc butcher - greater mimic, dark elven wizard, carrion crawler, dwarven child - imp - ochre jelly, dark elven archer, king cobra, goodwife - kobold shaman, magebane eye, floating eye, quickling king - giant centipede, hill orc sergeant, mimic hivemind, greater claw bug, brown bear, large gnoll - giant bee queen, giant ant warrior, shadow centipede, kobold

Awesome. It's like getting a winning lottery ticket. Except the prize is dying in Dwarven Halls to an ancient dragon who breathed fire at me from offscreen before I could see it. It breathes you die Angband style.

Quote Originally Posted by Cactus View Post
    Yes, it is indeed the best possible variation. +3 is the maximum bonus to the base stats.
    More variation is possible at higher DLs. Wishing at DL 50 produced some wooden shields with up to 7 DV, 7 PV, and +4 to-hit. +/- 3 is a pretty good rule of thumb though and seems to hold true at DL 1.