Early game but doing well, born under Candle so, after successfully bringing joy back into the life of a tiny girl, decided to go after Keethrax. However, as I only had a small amount of Fire Bolt and Acid Ball, thought it wise to go looking for spellbooks in the ID, between levels 1 and 5 or 6. Didn't have much success after about 20 or 30 mins so headed back up, finding (finally) a spellbook of Lightning Bolt on lvl 2. On lvl 1 I then found a handy altar, so set about sacrificing some monsters to get in Berwan's good books.

Anyway, what's the next thing you do after that? Drop a bunch of stuff to see it's B/U/C status, of course. Having done which, I picked it all up using the comma, and then pressing "a" a lot. Holding it down, in fact, long enough for the list to disappear. And a few keystrokes more, by accident. It took me a moment to realise what I'd done, as I read backwards from "you die" through being ripped apart by an explosion, my armour being burned off, and some stuff about bubbling, to understand that, holding "a" a little too long, I'd Applied Alchemy with some fairly random ingredients, knocking 130 HP or so off my 43 HP character. :'(

Oh well. Lesson learned.