Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Ways to Die

Quote Originally Posted by Elone View Post
    You dip the scroll of chaos resistance into the good potion of raw chaos. Both
    the potion and the scroll are consumed by a huge explosion! You are
    engulfed by the roaring flames! You die...

Nina, the gray elven wizard, was ripped apart when confronting Order and
    Chaos.
    That one is there already, number 53

Okay, so there's more than those two. I just rememebered another one (or, more like, noticed that it's not on the first page). Killing yourself with a wand of acid gives a different message.

Zap a wand.
    Which direction [896321475, Z = ABORT]?
    You engulf yourself in a stream of acid! You die...

Nina, the gray elven wizard, dissolved herself with a wand of acid.

Nina St:15 Le:29 Wi:16 Dx:18 To:10 Ch:12 Ap:20 Ma:22 Pe:17 N=
    DV/PV: 11/8 H: 0(37) P: 74(74) Exp: 8/9225 WE LE: 1000
    ▼ All their fault. ▼

Yeah, it seems that I've read all those and only skipped #53 for some reason! Hmph! Can you blame me for trying?

And so, inspired by the last death, I wanted to try yet another wand. Fire, this time. I noticed that far slaying, lightning, and magic missile wands were included because they bounce. But you can still point other wands at yourself.

Zap a wand.
    Which direction [896321475, Z = ABORT]?
    You burn yourself with a cone of fire! You die...

Nina, the gray elven wizard, transformed herself into an ash heap with a
    wand of fire!.

Nina St:66 Le:80 Wi:36 Dx:26 To:51 Ch:13 Ap:12 Ma:36 Pe:53 L+
    DV/PV: 68/75 H: 0(377) P: 247(349) Exp: 23/1610951 WE M: 134183

Notice the typo, where there's a period right after the exclamation mark. It's not my typo, mind you! Message from wand of cold gives the same typo in the end, and is a separate death.

Nina, the gray elven wizard, froze herself with a cone of cold!.

It doesnt say 'wand', but is says 'herself', and you can only freeze yourself with a wand, and not with Frost Bolt spell or something. So it must be a separate death.

EDIT: Another death. Now, death #83 says "Suicidal use of Improved Fireball", and I dont know if it means that someone just killed self with the fire. But I know (thanks to Grey) that Improved Fireball drains additional 5pp per range. What I did, was to go into wilderness pains, use Farsight, and then cast Fireball from one side to the other, from HP (i also found out that you cant cast out of your range of vision, it just fails). Anyway, this is the message.

Nina, the gray elven wizard, exhausted herself by casting an improved fireball.
    Last edited by Elone; 05-11-2008 at 12:59 PM. Reason: Editing this post for another death. Just so that people dont say that I'm farming posts.
    ▼ All their fault. ▼

Killed by something that is not arrows or quarrels (coin, rock, huge rock, orcish spear...) thrown by a foo.
    The message will not be "...shot to death...".

Will this do?

Quote Originally Posted by Elone View Post
    Nina, the gray elven wizard, exhausted herself by casting an improved fireball.
    This is just the message you get when killing yourself by casting out of HP (death no 12). Thanks for the other 3 though - forgot that you could aim those wands at yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Nezur
    Killed by something that is not arrows or quarrels (coin, rock, huge rock, orcish spear...) thrown by a foo.
    The message will not be "...shot to death...".
    As I understand it in that case the message is just "killed by <foo>", is it not? Or is it something different?

I was doing some reading on smithing today, and found some mention of a critical failure when smithing can lead to you sustaining fire damage. Anyone seen that?

Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    As I understand it in that case the message is just "killed by <foo>", is it not? Or is it something different?
    The message will be "<character> was killed by a <projectile> thrown by a <monster>" in the Hall of Fame.

I was doing some reading on smithing today, and found some mention of a critical failure when smithing can lead to you sustaining fire damage. Anyone seen that?
    No, I haven't even heard of it.

You hit yourself with a Burning hammer of hotness in the head... you die...
    I never won a Adom game...

Yesterday I made a nice meaningful post, and then, instead of Crtl+A, I've hit Ctrl+W. I instantly logged out of everything, and started doing something else to supress frustration.

Anyway, what that post was supposed to say, is that death from an improved fireball is indeed a unique one. When you die from any HP casting, it says "died from casting too many spells". But when you die from improbed fireball, it says "died from casting improved fireball". That's because that spell drains you in 2 different ways. Once for the initial PP cost, and second time is 5 additional PP per range (thanks to Grey for telling me). If you die from the initial drain, it gives the same message as for any other spell. If you die from the secondary drain, you get a different message, and therefore a different death. For which I gave a clear example in a previous post. Period.

It would be very, very hard to keep smithing (and hp at the moment!) SO low, that you get an easier critical miss and die from it. I suggest fine-tuning your health with wand of far slaying which can damage for as low as 1d6, and also to wear armour that prevents regeneration. Oh, I have a mean idea - this may best be tested with an OutOfLuck character, if you know what I mean. I'd do it now, but I have to go do some things in RealLife(tm) tomorrow, so wish me luck, cuz it's a big day.
    ▼ All their fault. ▼

Hmm, interesting... Added 2 others as well - scroll of charging without wands (thanks to deepshock for discovering that for me) and throwing crystals of fire next to yourself.

Gotten close!

Please, do try to post death messages as precisely as possible; those small details is what makes them special.
    ▼ All their fault. ▼