Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Leaving items in houses?

Default Leaving items in houses?

So, I'm thinking about setting up a vault. I'm sick of lugging around four hundred stones worth of gold, so I'm probably going to stash it in Hotzenplotz's place in the outlaw settlement. I've killed most of the inhabitants of the town, as they like to attack me, including Hotz and his bodyguards.

I think there are only three inhabitants left, the thief in the big building, the shop keeper, and the mad doctor. I locked the door, and left all my stuff in there. Is there any chance of my stuff going missing?

Also, I was trying to use a wand of door creation on grass earlier, and it doesn't seem to work. What's the deal?

The building with the thief is really safe, according to my experience.
    I don't recall having problems with the room, even if i just close the door without locking.
    I think the only chance for a mess-up is should an inhabitant get generated inside the room.
    If you are feeling really paranoid (and paranoid is the man with all the facts), order an animal companion to stand on top of your things.

And, what's the deal with putting doors on grass? Well, you simply can't (-:
    Same goes for traps I think.
    I've heard that digging a hole, then placing a blanket over it may change the situation, but thb I haven't got time to play with it.
    Last edited by spectre; 04-29-2008 at 12:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ter13 View Post
    Also, I was trying to use a wand of door creation on grass earlier, and it doesn't seem to work. What's the deal?

to create a door you need two walls with only one case between them. and in this case you can create a door.
    Science sans conscience n'est que ruine de l'?me (rabelais)

Dieu ne joue pas aux d?s (Einstein)

you want to fight me?!

Quote Originally Posted by M_bowwarrior View Post
    to create a door you need two walls with only one case between them. and in this case you can create a door.
    Might be true for wilderness squares. In dungeons, you can create doors on any free square, i.e. squares containing the light grey full stop or period.
    ADOM Guides - whatever you wanted to know about playing a certain class, but have been afraid to ask!

Check out my youtube channel to see my ADOM videos, including a completed playthrough of the game. I try to give instructions, so if you want to see some place you haven't been before and get some hints on how to deal with it, this might help! There's also some other games featured there that you might find interesting.

Bandit town houses are pretty safe to stash stuff in. Barbarian clearing is decent too. Nothing moves on the level whilst you're gone, so the chance of a new monster being generated and nicking your stuff is almost non-existant. Also none of the bandits can break through locked doors.

Not long ago one of my characters had teleport control and I wanted to leave some items in the mystic dwarf room in CoC, quite safe place. So i had to create a teleport trap and use it to get there. Like 3 or 4 times in a row I couldn't teleport to the place I chose (damn luck), being then random teleported to other place in the city. When I finally got inside, guess what? A random dwarf had randomly stepped onto the teleport trap and randomly teleported inside there, so I couldn't leave anything

Hah! I guess it's bound to happen some time though. Stashing stuff in the ogre cave is safer - no monster generation there. My favourite place actually is the white unicorn glade - no corruption, and the unicorn never picks stuff up. Not available till later in the game though.

> So, I'm thinking about setting up a vault.

It's not complicated to have secure storage
    areas. Time (for some reason?) freezes after
    you leave a level. Monsters can only pick up
    your stuff, while you are on the level with
    them. So if you enter the bandit village,
    immidiately drop your stuff, and leave, it will
    be safe.

If you drop your stuff on the stairs of any
    dungeon level, and then exit the level, your
    stuff will be there when you return. For
    most items (not potions!), it doesn't matter
    if a monster picks them up or not. Just kill
    the goon and get your stuff back.

Monster corpses do not decay if held in a
    monsters inventory (monsters must all have
    the food preservation skill at 110!), so you
    can actually exploit this a bit. If you know
    you can't make it to a shop with your extra
    blink dog corpse, just drop it for some
    monster to pick up. If you lose your TP
    control later, just return, kill, and collect.

For more protection, the top line of the
    Terinyo map can not be entered by any
    villager except the sheriff. If you lead him
    away (puppy cave), you will have ultimate
    security.

Wow, gut. I never knew the Terinyo trick.

However, you're wrong about monsters carrying corpses for you. As soon as you kill the monster (which held your spare corpses for a longer while), it will drop the corpse and corpse will rot immediately.

I like to sell my items to a shop. That's quite secure too. No one will touch those items even tho everyone will walk over them. Dont worry about buying them back - by the time you need them again, you'll have much more money too (si, anyone?)

I like to store in Barbarian's glade. If he's too close to the place where you enter, teleport him away a bit - he'll appear on the other side of glade, and will not give you any more problems. When I gain huge amounts of items (and whenever i visit surface), that's where I drop them. I classify them them into item types (plus artefacts get a different square, and food goes to Terinyo shop).

I drop ALL of it. Then I slowly pick items up, constantly asking myself for every single item, "Knowing myself, will I ever have a use of this item or not?" which makes the burden of my problems (pun) a bit easier.
    ▼ All their fault. ▼

> However, you're wrong about monsters carrying corpses for you.

I have done this in several games. One of which was quite recent.
    I suppose it's possible, that it was a short timespan in which the
    monster actually carried the corpse. I was teleporting around a
    lot to save turns.

I still do think though, that the monster corpse will keep longer in
    a monster's inventory, than your own (if your PC has no food
    preservation skill). Yes, I have seen the occurance of old monster
    corpses rotting, as soon as you re-enter an old dungeon level, but
    I think it's different with monster inventories. I can't recall a monster
    corpse ever rotting, immidiately upon killing the monster that was
    carrying it.

Then again, my memories are glitchy : )