Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Stuck

Agreed. I can't remember the last time I played
    a mindcrafter. I will say though, that their powers
    are FUN if not effective, and that's good in it's
    own way.

If a player just wanted to make things a bit easier,
    they could set their system clock to DEC 31, and
    start the game with six blessed potions of booze.
    That's cheap I know, but if playing for kicks, why
    not?

hm? You all mentioned something that I am not familiar with...

Gremlin bomb?

in short....

gremlin, water trap, pickpockets, kill... ad infinitum

Ok...I'm kind of stuck with a character right now as well and could use a little advice. I have a high elf archer and is doing pretty well. Lvl 14 now...spears is skilled up to a 10 and bows are at a 7 right now. Need to work on the bow more..but I have more important issues.

I can't swim. And I have some orange potions, but I have yet to identify them as carrot juice...and I only have 2 of them that are not blessed. I've had a very hard time finding water as well. I have only found 4 so far in this game and 2 of them are used already. I can't get through to the bottom of the puppy cave as on lvl 4, there is a large river. No means of freezing the water yet (if I even have a wand of cold, it's not identified yet...I guess I could start zapping wands to see what they do) and I can't swim. I already saved the carpenter. I can't get through SMC right now. Generated it on lvl 1, but couldn't find the stairs after exploring half of it. So I went to CoC to further myself along. Generated an alter on S:2 in there...which was nice. Arena is on floor 4 I think. Floor 5 though...is a huge river cutting through it. Again...I'm stuck. No means of freezing the water and I can't swim.

Now...I could possibly swim through these rivers, but I would quickly find myself wanting to come back up and really don't want to have to swim it again. Not to mention, that I don't want my stuff to rust while I'm drowning in the water. Is there any for sure way to prevent your items without making them all rustproof? I have a waterproof blankie...two of them, but that won't help the gear I have equipped at the time. I guess I could take it all off and put it in my inventory and then cross....

But I'd like to hear some other ideas of how to get myself...unstuck. I think another thing that hasn't helped is that I have tried to read a few scrolls and didn't do so well. I'm pretty sure that I am cursed and quite possibly doomed because of it? Oh..and I goofed up and hit a karmic lizard once too. lol. I haven't been able to work up enough piety yet to clear the cursed and doomed effects. What can I do at this point other than waste time in the ID?

Edit: Also...when I was lvl 5, I ran in to a tension room full of wild cats The down staircase was in that room. So the Cat Lord is gonna have to die when I get down there. Just another bit of bad luck this character has had, but I've enjoyed playing this character and gotten out of some sticky situations with her.
    Last edited by Kato; 05-13-2008 at 02:15 PM.

First of all, don't get too obsessed with the cat lord quest. It's optional, and while the reward is nice, don't let it get to you. It's not like it's the main quest of the game (-:

As to your river problem, it's all doable without swimming, if you have okay HP. One thing to do is minimise the number of moves it takes to cross the river. IF you're afraid of rusting, and drenched scrolls, you need waterproof blankets, yu may also want to remove the rustable equipment for the swim.

If you think you might want to come up, go upwards and finish your business beforehand, so that you don't have to cross the water more than twice.
    You may onsider to scum the ID for a few levels, if you're short on stuff such as water.

There's yet another alternative, if you have a want of trap creation, you could try to create a teleportation trap and cross your fingers.

There is a guaranteed wand of teleportation in the
    VDDL. There is guaranteed potions of booze in
    Lawenilothehl, in the form of easily killed beggars.
    That should get you across rivers easily enough.

Thanks guys. A little luck finally swung my way with this character. I took off my gear and put it in my backpack and started across the 4 spaces I would have to cross to get through the river in the CoC. I had 83 HP at the time. I thought it would be enough...but it wasn't. Before I went in to the 4th space, I had to pray and get healed. But I made it through. Got down to the dwarven city and went below it. First floor below it has a shop...a bunch of figurines. Went down one more floor and there was another shop. Luck would have it that I found a helm of water breathing! That's made my life much easier Now I'm about 5k from getting lvl 17 and I am entering in to the Pyramid and crossing my fingers that I make it

I hope to god you've removed that dooming before you enter the pyramid. Otherwise traps are going to destroy everything of value you own!

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    And I have some orange potions, but I have yet to identify them as carrot juice...
    Dude. Orange potions are ALWAYS carrot juice.

Why was I the first to point this out? Spectre, gut, Grey, shame on you!
    ADOM Guides - whatever you wanted to know about playing a certain class, but have been afraid to ask!

Check out my youtube channel to see my ADOM videos, including a completed playthrough of the game. I try to give instructions, so if you want to see some place you haven't been before and get some hints on how to deal with it, this might help! There's also some other games featured there that you might find interesting.

Shame is for the weak (-:
    From what he wrote, I reckon he knows what these are, he just wants to bless them to give to Blup.