Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Weakest Link Challenge Game - Sign Up!

Hybrid View

Default The Weakest Link Challenge Game - Sign Up!

Post here in this thread if you wish to join the newest ADOM group challenge - The Weakest Link. It is now being hosted here instead of on the Hall of Fame forums.

The aim of the game:

A character will be created that goes straight to the infinite dungeon, the intention being to see how deep it can go and how well people can survive. Each player gets control of the PC for 2000 turns. During that time they must descend by at least one level - you may go as deep as you like in fact, should you dare, but you must go at least one level deeper. When they have finished they save the game, post the save here along with a report of what's happened, and the next person picks up the save game and continues for 2000 turns. As the game goes on the PC will go deeper and deeper in the ID, and sooner or later everyone will start dying gruesome deaths.

If you die then you are The Weakest Link - goodbye! You're out of the game and the next person on the list must then pick up from before you played and try to survive the same encounters. Post the highscore details from your death (no flgs though) and you'll be entered onto a group high score table. Eventually everyone will start dying away, and it'll be left to a couple of very skilled or very lucky players trying desperately to survive in the depths of infinity. Finally all will inevitably die, as the ID kills everyone in the end.

The game will be structured into several leagues, and the top two players from each league will then play against each other in one big final game. There'll obviously be a touch of pride in coming out top, but I'll give a little bonus reference to whoever manages the most stupid or amusing death too.

Rules:

-descend at least one level during your round
    -no use of the up stairs (the one exception being if there's an impassable river - then you can quickly <>)
    -do not exceed the turn limit of 2000 by more than 50 - try not to exceed it at all! (the tactical display will be changed to show number of moves instead of speed)
    -give a post describing your activities after your round, including important info like using up prayers, items found and monsters encountered that could affect future players
    -you have 72 hours to play when it comes to your turn - this can be extended to one week if you have special circumstances (this is to keep the momentum of the game going)
    -no competitive hindering tactics allowed during the first 2 rounds
    -any and all competitive and dirty tactics allowed on round 3 or after
    -lastly, have fun - this game relies mostly on luck, with a little bit of skill; try to enjoy it and don't take things too seriously

These rules are not strictly enforced - they mostly rely on faith in the player, just as we have faith that people posting YAVPs haven't save-scummed. If you break the rules in any way and then lie about it, then the only loser is you.

Notes on Competitive Play:

After 2 rounds have passed players can start using competitive tactics to increase their chances and reduce the chances of others. For instance, a player could throw away a good melee weapon or armour because they think they can survive better than other players without it. Or someone (unnamed) could deliberately doom the PC because they think it'll improve their survival chances compared to everyone else. There are no restrictions on what you can do to damage the PC in the hopes of it giving you a competitive edge after the first 2 rounds have played out, as long as it's within the rules stated above. However you cannot deliberately benefit from withholding information about the PC! All actions that could affect other players must be noted in the game report after your turn - no hiding info about monsters around the corner, stuff you've found, etc.

Also, should you create an unsolvable situation then you're out of the game and everyone continues on from before your turn. What this means is that if everyone after you dies from your dirty tactics, and then the file comes back to you and you die too, then you are The Weakest Link, goodbye! So be careful with extreme competitive tactics - they could back-fire.

Other Details:

The deadline for sign-up is extended to midnight on Sunday due to the change of forums. On Monday the game will begin in earnest, and I'll create all necessary threads, and randomly create the groups and playing orders. The character used will be a priest of random race (no trolls though) - I will generate it and take it to the mouth of the ID, save it there and post the save here for others to continue from. The ADOM version used will be Winbeta4/DOS (the saves are compatible with each).

You can see previous discussion about the challenge on the ADOM Hall of Fame forums.

Signed up so far:

Grey
    gut
    Timpak
    Silfir
    Subconcious
    FantomFang
    Maul
    Ars
    riktikticheck
    ElectricalFire
    DeSt
    Soirana
    Molach
    Evil Knievel
    Reich
    Covenant
    deepshock
    Orbic
    Kato
    kupico
    ewolf
    Oliphaunt
    M_bowwarrior
    PeanutGod
    JSuvanto

Total: 26

(I've had to cut vogonpoet, Kingsdragon and Mozzy Tunes from the list because they haven't signed up here)

Please affirm or reaffirm your interest in this game, even if you're already on the list.
    Last edited by Grey; 05-19-2008 at 12:19 PM.

If it's going to be hosted here (which seems to be FAR more stable and accessible than the other forums) then I would be more than willing to sign up and take a turn at it

I think you should if someone creates a situation that all other players die from, but survives it himself, he should receive the title "MASTER OF OWNAGE" or something. That's the most triumphant form of victory one can achieve in this game...
    ADOM Guides - whatever you wanted to know about playing a certain class, but have been afraid to ask!

Check out my youtube channel to see my ADOM videos, including a completed playthrough of the game. I try to give instructions, so if you want to see some place you haven't been before and get some hints on how to deal with it, this might help! There's also some other games featured there that you might find interesting.

I registered here so I'm still on. (was thinking of registering here for a while but now I finally did it)

(Timpen)

I wonder about one thing, how do you keep track of how many turns already passed and how much you have left?? I hope it doesn't have to be done manually!

You know how your speed is shown in the bottom left corner? With the ":t" command, you can switch what is shown there. It is called the tactical display. There is one setting that shows the number of turns passed, and updates with every action you take. The existence of this option is what makes these kinds of games even possible!
    ADOM Guides - whatever you wanted to know about playing a certain class, but have been afraid to ask!

Check out my youtube channel to see my ADOM videos, including a completed playthrough of the game. I try to give instructions, so if you want to see some place you haven't been before and get some hints on how to deal with it, this might help! There's also some other games featured there that you might find interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Silfir View Post
    You know how your speed is shown in the bottom right corner? With the ":t" command, you can switch what is shown there. It is called the tactical display. There is one setting that shows the number of turns passed, and updates with every action you take. The existence of this option is what makes these kinds of games even possible!
    Fixed And this will make sure it's 10 characters for the forums. hehehehe

I am still in. (But only from Tue, May 20 onward)
    Last edited by Evil Knievel; 05-17-2008 at 06:52 PM.

I'd love to join, but my first opportunity to play will be Thursday evening, 22 May. If that's too late, I'll join in some later instalment.
    Last edited by Oliphaunt; 05-17-2008 at 07:13 PM. Reason: sp

singing up too(lol)

La la la la.....
    Science sans conscience n'est que ruine de l'?me (rabelais)

Dieu ne joue pas aux d?s (Einstein)

you want to fight me?!