Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: The Weakest Link: League of Air

I screwed up.

It went nicely in the beginning, In ID: 13 I found 7LB!!! After some killing I found enough food to keep myself alive and continued slaughtering. There was big mess near at the stairs leading down and I went down when vortex was generated and I was coming there, I left all of our rocks there.

ID: 14. I got hunGGGGry aGGGain, Gotta find some FFFFooooDDDD. But unfortunately, no food to be found. No one left corpses, nothing. Got desperate and found myself fighting Dark elven lord which almost killed me, an there went my all piety. Next step was: "MORTAL YOU ART A NUISANCE" "You are starvng" "You are poisoned" "You are overburdened" "You feel uncomfortable" etc etc etc. "You die...."

Xantia, the hurthling priest, starved to death.
    She scored 11960 points and advanced to level 12.
    She survived for 0 years, 6 days, 11 hours, 37 minutes and 31 seconds (13536
    turns).

Im out.

LOL my turn, looking forward...Should be able to do it tonight even though I just landed in Slovakia and I'm going to visit friends first :-)

This is unbelievable.
    We are starving with like 95 Food Preservation. For 12 ID levels we never found a single combat spellbook. Not one decent melee weapon, hard to kill anything with that lousy mace. Not even a spear to get some DV. No rocks. A giant frog busted our armor. How can it get any worse?

Quote Originally Posted by reich View Post
    This is unbelievable.
    We are starving with like 95 Food Preservation. For 12 ID levels we never found a single combat spellbook. Not one decent melee weapon, hard to kill anything with that lousy mace. Not even a spear to get some DV. No rocks. A giant frog busted our armor. How can it get any worse?

we can start to be corrupted...
    Science sans conscience n'est que ruine de l'?me (rabelais)

Dieu ne joue pas aux d?s (Einstein)

you want to fight me?!

Actually, m_bowwarrior, some of the corruptions that are available make my mouth water. I'd consider entering a corruption trap over and over for a shot at the tough scales one, or the corrupted tissue one.

What's with that food trouble - I hope none of you got back to burdened? We really have to stay in unburdened status now. We have no food, and we need the speed to run away with!
    ADOM Guides - whatever you wanted to know about playing a certain class, but have been afraid to ask!

Check out my youtube channel to see my ADOM videos, including a completed playthrough of the game. I try to give instructions, so if you want to see some place you haven't been before and get some hints on how to deal with it, this might help! There's also some other games featured there that you might find interesting.

Ok i find myself counscious again good news...I try to pray and i feel comfortable no better way to start a day...First thing i see tho are door in front of me cracking and looking as if some biig demon was trying to get through them. Not being coward i open them and see thousands of worms crawling towards me...BAAAD first one punched through my armor and took me down to 47. We sure are at least cursed!
    I still don't give up and smash through some 5 worms pretty easily but it start's to be big mess around. Floor is already slick enough and all those worm bodies...i have bad feeling our lovely girl is developing WORM phobia so i just decide to go downstairs and look if i don't find some nicer friends

50 turns left and i descend...one freaky worm still in my heels! So i finish him off! Picking up scroll of Kapow that was lying on the floor and hooray to explore...But i first pray a bit and heal up...K up to 70 hp and female bandit shows up...They say 'they look for weak and helpless' K i'm gonna show her i'm not that weak! K i press 4 and the button gets stuck so i happily smash through her and run head on through corridor bumping into annis hag and letting her hit me twice before i manage to free the poor button! Our first aid increased to 100 during that headlong charge at least some nice news.

K now really i don't like hags so i gotta be careful...Switching to aggressive ouch few turns later i'm bleeding and have like 50 hp left while doing small dmg to her. Now only chance is rocks. Pity we trained slings and not rocks so now we are pretty weak at throwing them! Took me 3 rocks to kill her but i found them in her body along with new ring(aquamarine again) into our collection. Invoked magic 4 times total but nothing happend luckily!

200 turns passed and i better heal up again...Oh wait i'm Hungry baad news so i gotta explore...
    Lol werewolf and his company await me k i thing foooood...well killed a few volwes, never managed to get to their corpses so they rotted stupid me...So i run to get them somewhere i can pick their corpses at. They damage my armor so now we lost 2 PV.
    K managed to kill wolf and eat him but i had hard time defending while killing him so i knew it's going to be bad. I was enclosed in the room with up stairs and dire wolf just killed me!

Blah well good luck someone else. I don't think i wrote anything in this post that's gonna help next player so i leave it like this! i'm writing as i'm playing so you know.
    Lvl 11 when died, and nothing really changed in those 448 turn, just descended one lvl in ID so i don't post flg. ENJOY!!! Those that survived that is

bad luck kupito... but (of course, don't tell us) you know if we are doomed, cursed, etc...

another question : it's me who start to increase slings. for me it's obvious we need to use a weapon, because a weapon can increase caracteristics. Is the race/profession we have change something to that ?

why people don't like slings ?

and another question, what mean rng (something about the random creation, but...)

we are the first leage with so many dead people, hang on your helmet guys
    Science sans conscience n'est que ruine de l'?me (rabelais)

Dieu ne joue pas aux d?s (Einstein)

you want to fight me?!

Well, when I started up, I noticed we were at level 5 in slings and level 5 in thrown rocks. Had we continued to use thrown rocks, we'd have achieved level 7 in that, and ended up with considerably higher damage and to-hit. The difference between sling and thrown rocks is usually only marginal: A normal sling adds one point of damage and probably some range. OUR sling added one point of damage, but SUBTRACTED three points of to-hit. Considering our skill in thrown rocks and our dependency on the rocks we find, it was a very bad choice (sorry, m_bowwarrior) to "waste" the rocks on poor sling skills instead of further improving our killing power throwing them.

As I said, by the time I got the game, we were on 5 in both skills, so I figured "Bah, the damage is already done" and kept on using the sling so we could switch to one without to-hit penalties at some point and at least get the extra point of damage, also there's the chance for a sling with higher modifiers or one of the long shot.

The RNG is the Random Number Generator, or Random Number God. It's the supernatural entity inside all of our computers that determines whether our character finds early seven league boots or meets an acid vortex right after entering a new level... Or both in quick succession. Cruel, cruel Random Number God.
    ADOM Guides - whatever you wanted to know about playing a certain class, but have been afraid to ask!

Check out my youtube channel to see my ADOM videos, including a completed playthrough of the game. I try to give instructions, so if you want to see some place you haven't been before and get some hints on how to deal with it, this might help! There's also some other games featured there that you might find interesting.

First, some general points.

Quote Originally Posted by M_bowwarrior
    another question : it's me who start to increase slings. for me it's obvious we need to use a weapon, because a weapon can increase caracteristics. Is the race/profession we have change something to that ?
    Yes! Hurtlings have a racial bonus to thrown rocks. I think the notion of the small folks being good throwers goes as far back as JRR Tolkien's The Hobbit, where Bilbo used to kill giant spiders with stones. Slings are okay, but in our case it's probably better to use bare hands, especially as we have a very lousy sling with -1 to hit.

Quote Originally Posted by M_bowwarrior
    and another question, what mean rng (something about the random creation, but...)
    Random Number Generator is a mathematical algorithm that ADOM (and other roguelikes) uses to create a random number from a given set. It's like some virtual dice. If a weapon deals 1 d8 damage, each time it hits the RNG gives you a random number from 1 to 8. In fact, the RNG is used to determine every random element of the game: monsters spawned, items generated, size & layout of rooms on a dungeon level etc. So the RNG rules everything in a roguelike game, and it's been quite cruel to Xantia.

And now...

######################THE REPORT: 14 000 turns#############################

The bad news: Xantia still doesn't have any offensive spells
    The good news: Xantia has plenty of food now. And other things. Here's what happened:

• For a warm-up, I decided to fight the white worms for a while. A paricularily nasty panzer-white worm almost killed me, so I retreated to ID 13.
    • The threat of starvation was temporarily prevented when I found a displacer beast corpse. Eating it put me in minor trouble, as I found myself dazed & confused next to a hostile gnoll chieftain and master swordsman! They pushed me around a little, but when my mind cleared and I defeated them I found an orcish spear of vampirism. It has -2 to hit, which sucks, but it gives a nice little bonus to health each time Xantia hits a living enemy. Now we can even kill something in melee, finally!
    • An encounter with a wererat left Xantia with a supply of 5 giant rat corpses, no less. I cooked them of course. This should be enough for at least the next two players
    • Death was close when two flesh golems and a hill giant trapped me in a corridor. Desperately, I tried out the tin wand, which turned out to be a wand of magic missiles! I used up the two remaining charges to blast my way out of the trap, so sorry guys! Maybe you will find some booze on the way Still, I had to ask for divine help to get out alive. But I used the holy symbol quite a lot and Xantia is still comfortable with her goddess.
    • Xantia is now level 12. I upgraded First Aid to 100, Food Preservation to 100, Archery and Music (hey, we have a harp and could use the help of a tame gizzly bear!). New Talent: Good Shot (I was also considering Stealthy).
    • Thanks to the corpse of said hill giant and to me for carrying a lot of things we had +3 Str in total. Xantia is now at her current maximum!
    • I intended to stay on ID 13 for the rest of my turns, but the situation got hairy. More master swordsmen, clay golems and such started chasing me around, and I still had just a couple of not-stacked rocks left. So I had to venture deeper to ID 14.
    • Explored part of the level. Found a strange metal girdle (never knew what those were for - it gives -1 DV) and an iron ration. Small key broke when I locked some doors.
    • Watch out for monsters! THere's a lightning vortex directly behind the closed and locked door to the west (I locked the door so no pesky kobold opens it). And, frustratingly, more white worms in the locked room to the east!!! They had some time to multiply when I stopped for healing, so getting through them can be tough! Better to check out the door to the north first, maybe they lead to the stairs.

CLOSING COMMENTS:
    Those 2000 turns were not as bad as I expected, despite a few tense moments. Xantia gained a level, 3 points of Strenght, a good weapon and a supply of food. The current situation may be troublesome, but hey, it could have been far worse!
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by reich; 05-26-2008 at 01:33 PM.

Code:

(locked door)
                     #########+#             #####
                     #.........#             #.....
                  ####.........###############.....
               VORTEX+.....@.../..%..........+......WHITE WORMZ
                     #.........###############......
                     #/........#             #......
     #########       #/#########             #.....
     #.......#       #.#                     #.....
     #..<....#########+#                     #####
     #.................#
     #############.....#####
                 #.....+....
                 ###########

Xantia        St:15  Le:15  Wi:22  Dx:14  To:16  Ch:14  Ap:11  Ma:15  Pe:13 L
    DV/PV: 18/7    H: 54(94)      P: 84(84)      Exp: 12/32582      I14   M: 14000
    Burdened
    Last edited by reich; 05-26-2008 at 01:36 PM.