Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Challenge Games

Quote Originally Posted by Dudley View Post
    Quantum effect. They are a device which disrupts your atoms, send them through guided tunnel effect to another random place, then give them back form. At distance.
    What if we assume everything is nanotechnology? Or better yet...what if the PC believes he is in some sort of virtual reality...controlled by an outside intelligence...a "player" of sort. This could be called...Paranoid Man.

Quote Originally Posted by kapsi View Post
    What if we assume everything is nanotechnology? Or better yet...what if the PC believes he is in some sort of virtual reality...controlled by an outside intelligence...a "player" of sort. This could be called...Paranoid Man.
    Code:
     "You shoot an arrow at the rat. Dudley says : "You shall pay for your cowardice!" You are hit by a bolt of raw power! You are turned to steel. You wake up."
    Haven't won with : Druid, Priest, Elementalist, Weaponsmith, Ranger, Merchants, farmers, Necromancer,Thief
    Currently trying : Entertaining girlfriend. Very, Very, VERY hard.

Just a silly online game

Have had an idea for a new challenge. This is adapted from a gaming idea from someone else a year or two ago, but I'm probably the first to put it as a 'challenge'. Since it is not on the _list_ and all.

I might call it the longevity challenge, or the suck up to the RNG challenge, or the grinding challenge, or the Molach challenge. But

"THE TEAM CHALLENGE" it shall be.

The Challenge:
    Start up 10 games, one with each race. The PCs all must have unique classes. Style points for choosing appropriate ones.. (elf archer, dark elf assassin, troll barbarian, orc priest, gnome wizard and so forth) but up to the player. Apart from that, and obvious rules like "do not savescum" thats it for rules.

Except for the TEAM. Which means, you must prove your advanced ADOMing skills and take them all home to victory. Yeap, all. One dies, you scrap all other savegames and try again.

To keep with the team spirit challenge of things, you must never allow a gap of more than 10 levels between the PCs without switching chars (to the lowest levelled one). For instance, you can take one char to level 12 (or even to level 15 if you went from 11-15 in one kill) but then need to change to one of the level 1s. You can also of course change PC earlier if you wish.

Short Rules:
    Start up 10 games, all different races and classes. Finish the game with all 10 without any deaths. If more than a 10-level gap between the PC should develop you switch to (one of) the lowest-level characters.

Strategy:
    Choosing races and classes carefully seems to be a given, so you give races weak in one area a class that can compensate for it. The rule about forcing the challenger to keep switching characters is to avoid it being played like "win 10 times in a row", but more like a team game. It has the added benefit of keeping the challenger confused about which character did what and so forth. So (how this was originally thought out to be played) a good stategy might be to play the chars to the same point - Finish starting dungeon with all, then reach dwarftown with all, then ...whatever. The Troll character will probably soon be the 'advance scout' for the party...until he starts levelling too much up from the balors from the deep. I hope the rules are clear that you will not FAIL the challenge if a big gap appears (after you gain 20 levels from killing cat lord or something) it just means change character. But remember, lose one and you delete them all, even the unplayed level 1 cannon fodder waiting behind the scenes. So it could be called the 'endless PC genetative' challenge as well. I foresee that one would need either a memory bank like mr. Cray, or take careful notes about the progress of PCs. I also foresee a great lot of cursing. That is what I did when I had a team around level 13-17, all at dwarftown, when I managed to get killed with the bleeding WIZARD. Never tried it since.

I guess it could be evolved to the LEGION challenge, in which you get 2 of each race, and 1 of every class. 20 guys. Take em all home.

Or how about starting small, the ADVENTURE PARTY challenge. Take 4 guys, Dwarf, Elf, Human and...whatever. Fighter, Priest, Wizard and Thief. Same rules, win with them.
    -M
    Last edited by Molach; 11-30-2010 at 07:31 PM.

Instead of 10 levels, maybe "never leave a dungeon alone"? As in every dungeon each character does the others must do at the same time.

10 chars is pretty crazy though. One is bound to get horribly bored at some point, and then frustrated at a stupid death.
    Platinum Edition ADOMer
    http://gamesofgrey.com - check out my roguelikes!

I would play a scaled down "D&D circle" challenge. This sort of challenge game could very easily be turned into a community challenge game. Simultaneous server games with irc sounds pretty fun.

Possible rules:
    Four simultaneous characters, each with a unique race/class combination. They must fill sufficiently different roles. (i.e. druid, mindcrafter, beastfighter, merchant).
    All characters must enter the same dungeon at the same time.
    All characters must be within 10 dungeon levels and 5 character levels of each other.
    Trolls are permitted to have a some (50%?) level penalty from the highest level character.
    Party alignment cannot contain a L alignment and C alignment at the same time.

Winning:
    You are allowed to win with a subset of your starting team (i.e. your mindcrafter dies in a horrible acid vortex accident) but to get a true win, your entire party must complete the the game.

Special cases:
    If any member is to attempt some ultra ending, they must pass through the Chaos Gate before any member closes it. (Mega bonus points for the most members to accomplish ultra endings.)
    I said it before, and I'll say it again. If I knew scripture like you, I'd prolly be an athiest too.. -gut

/l、
    (゚、 。 7  
     l、 ~ヽ   
     じしf_, )ノ

Instead of 10 levels, maybe "never leave a dungeon alone"? As in every dungeon each character does the others must do at the same time.
    Perhaps. But a diverse team should probably do different dungeons. Silly to drag the beastfighter through the library, and for strong starting chars going through the UD is a good thing (speeds up the pace in the game greatly). Rule is a bit easier to enforce. 10+, you switch. Each as heck. But style points, again, for taking it as a team. You still can.

10 chars is pretty crazy though. One is bound to get horribly bored at some point, and then frustrated at a stupid death.
    In order:
    • Yes
    • I would not agree with boring part, as you play over as much time as you want. The suspense is always there, more so than any other game. One false step and ...kaBooM
    • Oh yes, totally frustrated

There is a good balance here, you can't play too conservatively or you will get bored out of your mind. A challenge not for the most brilliant player, but the most thorough ones.

Great idea about the Adventure Party as community game. Just make sure there is no weakest link in the party... I'd simply disallow trolls as player race, and keep the 10 level

Quote Originally Posted by fazisi View Post
    Special cases:
    If any member is to attempt some ultra ending, they must pass through the Chaos Gate before any member closes it. (Mega bonus points for the most members to accomplish ultra endings.)
    I think it would be a nice joke if some member did OCG, others closed the gate and new poor chaos god would not have the gate to Ancardia to send minions.
    'And instead of sending Chaos troops to Ancardia every couple of centuries you suffer from boredom, go insane and kill yourself.'

got an idea for another challenge

Elitist Jerk

Never use any item in any slots unless its an artifact...
    bonus points for doing it with a character without spells or Natually boosted unarmed fighting (ie. Beastfighter & Monk)

Double Bonus if you never carry anything but Artifacts (dropping as soon as you make sure stuff aren't an artifact which should be done asap)

Great idea, and simple too. "A designer knows he has attained perfection, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to take away"

Another of these hard-to-start-but-growing-easier-but-still-some-restrictions-near-the-end challenges.

I'd disallow full bonus with drakelings as well.

snobman challenge! how funny
    "Whip me!" pleads the adom player. The rng replies... "No."