Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Ultra Questions

> the Dwarven Mystic will give you SoCR instead of the axe

That info came from me I think. I was playing limited turns games, and
    was having real trouble getting the SoCR. They were important, because
    I could rarely save Khelly to get his, and couldn't spare turns to persue
    others. I noticed that for 6 games in a row, if I held N+ or N- for ~2000
    turns without changing, then chatted with the mystic, he would give SoCR.

This isn't a great test, as it could have been luck, or some other factor I
    hadn't even considered. I have not paid attention to this in my other
    games, as they aren't that important in my other games. To the best of my
    knowledge, getting the SoCR's is supposed to be random chance,
    "Whip me!" pleads the adom player. The rng replies... "No."

Certainly in my experience being N+ or N- is essential. Whether the number of turns spent at that alignment matters or not would require a lot of testing to determine - there may be other forces at work, or it could even just be random.

Being neutral is the sole requirement of having a 50% chance to get the SoCRs.

I'm pretty sure you can't get the SoCR's, if you are N=.

Some flavor of neutrality is the only requirement. Characters that are N= should be equally eligible.

RGRA - getting SoCR from dwarven mystic.

I followed that link, and all I saw was:

> Somebody who disassembled the program told me it's a 50/50 chance for neutrals,

That's not much. I have never recieved the SoCR's while N, and I
    have tried many many times. I don't really remember anybody posting
    that they have recieved them, while at N. If anybody has, maybe I
    will test that a bit.

Well, it was Malte that said it... one might presume he has good sources. However I've always been keen to point out that code-dived info isn't the whole picture, and it takes a very very skilled code-diver to find every relevant nuance to a game feature. The only way to prove it is to test the info in-game.

In this case I will point out that I came to the conclusion myself that N= never gets you the scrolls before I ever heard gut suggest his own views on the subject. So that's two experienced ADOM players that independantly came to the same conclusion. Whilst speaking to him only when N- or N+ I can only remember 2 or 3 times where he didn't give me the scrolls in at least the past year of gameplay - that means the odds for me have been way over 50%. Perhaps that's due to random chance, but from what I've heard gut say I think it's been the same for him.

Well, i was gonna try a bard for this, but he is so utterly weak at the beginning that it is problematic. I don't want a rat for a first kill, but i don't have the abilities to go kill a bandit or something. Any advice on this front? (I got a nice 6 talent gnome that I have rolled that I was saving for when I can get past the road bumps =)

EDIT: Random question, but thinking about it, why in the world can you bless scrolls by dipping them in holy water when water traps/rivers ruin them??? I can't believe I have never thought about it before, but now it just seems plain odd.
    Last edited by FantomFang; 06-07-2008 at 04:21 AM.
    Normal - GE Ranger, Human Monk, GE Wizard, Hurthling Beastfighter, Hurthling Farmer
    Ultra - ULE GE Wizard

I can't be 100%, but I'm pretty sure that I've gotten the scrolls directly after having been crowned as a champion of balance, and hence N= at the time.

FantomFang, try and find yourself a beggar in Lawl, if you can. *chuckle* I always try to make one my first kill. Or, if there isn't one there, you mihgt try a giant frog, perhaps? Not all that frequent in dungeons, and fairly easily avoidable in the overland map.

Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    In this case I will point out that I came to the conclusion myself that N= never gets you the scrolls before I ever heard gut suggest his own views on the subject. So that's two experienced ADOM players that independantly came to the same conclusion.
    i thought you guys were experienced enough not to trust things like i feel that...

To stop guts nonsense i did mini research (luckily digging proper file in my saves library):
    Adom 1.1.1
    N= 13lv char piety at pleased, lucky, fate smile, no ankh or rongs of luck (having nothing in backpack except wand of teleportation):
    7times - 4SoCR+7potions of insight
    3times - 1PoGA+2potions of training

Same char at N-
    5times - 4SoCR+7potions of insight
    5times - 1PoGA+2potions of training

Same char at N- and bad standings with diety (inventory cursing level):
    8times - 4SoCR+7potions of insight
    2times - 1PoGA+2potions of training

Numbers are not statistically reliable but I see no point to do deeper researching.

For future I would greatly ask to do at least minimal investigation before stamping false statements with your own authority. Thank you.
    P.S. I was sober at research moment, so don't even bother with jokes about booze.