Thread: Complete Novice to ADOM

Post Complete Novice to ADOM

I'm sorry if this thread is completely redundant, but I can't seem to find any help elsewhere. If there is an online location or location within the game with this information, please feel free to delete this thread.
    Is entering 'k' or 'Z' the only way to attack creatures? Do spears and such alter how much damage is done when one presses 'k'?
    How do I buy and sell things? I attempted purchasing an item from the shop buy picking it up with the ',' key which worked but when I gave the shopkeeper money with the 'g' key it didn't seem to register that I'd bought anything. I died of starvation in the shop.
    I've absolutely no idea how to sell things.
    Are there any other important keys I should be aware of? So far I've been able to kick, use spells, talk, drop and pick up items and read books.
    I'm completely new at this style of game (I'm even unsure what the genre is called) but I really like the freedom and I want to be able to progress in my games.
    Thanks!

First of all, there is another simple way to attack creatures. Just move against them! It will automatically make you strike with your equipped weapon(s).

Spears and such do not alter "k" or "Z" damage, because "Z" consists of your spells and "k" is your "kick" so to speak. Either "Alt + q" or "Shift + 2" will let you see how much damage your normal attack and kick does.

To sell things, just (d)rop them. To buy things, pick them up (,), and then walk over next to the shopkeeper and (p)ay for them.

For the genre of this game, Its a rogue-like. And yeah, its really fun. If you have anymore specific questions, just ask. Most of our helpful threads drop off the first page rather quickly anyways.
    Normal - GE Ranger, Human Monk, GE Wizard, Hurthling Beastfighter, Hurthling Farmer
    Ultra - ULE GE Wizard

The ingame manual does a pretty good job at explaining things, and there's a list called 'keybindings' that will explain what all the keys do. You can access both of them with '?' while you're playing if you need to check something. When you walk into a monster you will automatically use your weapon (or your bare hands) to attack it. You can also throw or shoot things at monsters with 't' if you have them equipped in the missile slot. Weapons do not affect the damage from attacking monsters with 'k' because that key is for kicking.

Paying is done with 'p' and you can sell items by dropping them in the shop.

Some other commands I found useful when just starting out:

i - Goes to the equipment screen, allows you to equip stuff.
    _ (underscore) - Pray to your god for help. This is useful if you're low on health, because you can get healed this way. At the start of the game you can pray for health about twice before your god starts to think you're a nuisance.
    @ - Shows information on your character, such as how much damage you can cause with your weapons.
    z - Zap wands
    D - Drink potions
    C - Chat to people. If it's friendly and especially if it seems unique, it's good to talk to it.

But it's a good idea to read the 'keybindings' list, because there are lots of commands that are especially useful in certain situations.

Smile

Ah! Thank you both for your extremely prompt responses! I am now buying and selling like a pro!
    I attempted to use the keybindings list but I found the information to be an overload and not explicit enough.
    Using your advice I managed to get to level 6 which is the furthest I've managed! I unfortunately died to poisoning, could I pray to my God to cure this? I also managed to equip a cursed item, is there a way for me to un-curse this item or inspect the item to see if it is cursed before I equip it?
    Thank you both for being tolerant of me!

You can't, but you can temporarily survive by praying. Use First Aid each time the poison strikes.

I'm guessing from what you've said that you probably don't know how to use the skills yet? Forgive me if I'm wrong on that assumption.

First of all, press the "A" key. That'll bring up your skill list. Then, press any number key, followed by the letter of the skill you want to assign to it. For example, if you want First Aid as #1, and First Aid is skill "j", you would press, "A" to bring up the skill list, "1" to choose the #, and then "j" to assign the skill. Then you can simply press "a" then "1" in the future to use First Aid.

To deal with early game cursing takes experience more than anything else. Having the Detect Item Status skill helps, along with other factors (which I won't spoil for you unless you really want to know =P). The main thing is knowing when the "risk" of it being cursed is worth the "reward" you will likely get from it. As in, its not worth risking a cursed equip to try out a quarterstaff, but it would be for a shield, or some sort of heavy armor.
    Normal - GE Ranger, Human Monk, GE Wizard, Hurthling Beastfighter, Hurthling Farmer
    Ultra - ULE GE Wizard

Thumbs up

Ah, I knew about skills I just wasn't entirely sure what they did.
    I think I can make my way about the game, I just need to worry about completing quests now.
    You were all very helpful!

One method of uncursing which wasn't mentioned was (r)eading a Scroll of Uncursing after equipping, or reading a Scroll of Identify before equipping the item. If you go to the Outlaw Town at the beginning of the game and walk on each square of the shop, or (l)ook at the different squares, often you can find different scrolls there. Even if you can't afford them, just seeing them in the shop will allow you to identify them in the future, which you save you from trial-and-erroring items until you end up not being able to take of a Girdle of Weight or something. A couple other handy keybindings would be:

(O)ffering. If you find an altar in a dungeon, you can lure creatures onto it and Offer them to your god. If you keep this up, it will increase the number of times you can pray (_) without having your deity dislike you. Also, once the colour of the altar matches your alignment, you can (d)rop all your items on it, and it will tell you whether they are cursed or not.

(u)se. If you have a Holy Symbol or Torch equipped in your Tools slot, you can use it with the u key. Most characters start with a Torch, which is useful in dark rooms, obviously, and one particular dungeon.

(w)alk. If you are in a long corridor, you can press w and then a direction and you will automatically keep going in that direction until you get to an item, reach a door or room, or an enemy enters your field of vision. It's much more safe than holding down the direction you're heading in.

The gods will cure poisoning, but only if you have full HP. Praying two times in a row should get rid of it.
    ADOM Guides - whatever you wanted to know about playing a certain class, but have been afraid to ask!

Check out my youtube channel to see my ADOM videos, including a completed playthrough of the game. I try to give instructions, so if you want to see some place you haven't been before and get some hints on how to deal with it, this might help! There's also some other games featured there that you might find interesting.