Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help with A Weaponsmith

Default Help with A Weaponsmith

I've been playing ADOM for over 10 years and one of the only classes I've not had any luck at all with is the weaponsmith. In fact, I've never smithed anything before with any character. The constraint of carrying around a 1000 stone anvil and a git big hammer has always been more than I could be bothered with.

Can anyone recommend a good race for a smith and perhaps some suggestions for surviving more than five minutes!

I've played lots of high elven weaponsmiths because their melee skillset is quite good, but they're pretty weak. I'm not really a smithing pro, I'm afraid, so I can't give you much in the way of good advice.

One hint - make use of that anvil! Crush doors with it! That takes out those damn door traps without trouble.
    ADOM Guides - whatever you wanted to know about playing a certain class, but have been afraid to ask!

Check out my youtube channel to see my ADOM videos, including a completed playthrough of the game. I try to give instructions, so if you want to see some place you haven't been before and get some hints on how to deal with it, this might help! There's also some other games featured there that you might find interesting.

I tried a grey elf and didn't do so well. The lack of magic OR any real combat abilities seem to make it a really tuff class to get started with. I could try a more brutish race but they always come unstuck later on.

Nice tip with the door crushing. I knew you could do that with huge rocks but never tried it with anvils.

Elven weaponsmiths have elven chain mail. Find a shield and your combat abilities should be more than okay. First goal should be the healing skill though, for better staying power.
    ADOM Guides - whatever you wanted to know about playing a certain class, but have been afraid to ask!

Check out my youtube channel to see my ADOM videos, including a completed playthrough of the game. I try to give instructions, so if you want to see some place you haven't been before and get some hints on how to deal with it, this might help! There's also some other games featured there that you might find interesting.

hurthling.

Basically you get good skills, good dex, good toughness and anvil grants reasonable strength

Drakeling, good stats, acid spit, nothing more needed to say. Safekeep the anvil at ministrel until you use it if it's too heavy.

I've always stayed clear of drakelings. I hate the ToEF enough as it is and from what I hear it's even worse with a drakeling.

Hurthlings on the other hand are one of my favorite races. Good and versatile. I'll give them a spin and see how I get on.

Just realised why I can't keep these fools alive early on. It's Friday 13th!

Yeah we should have run a challenge for me to poison suicide in... Will try to generate plenty of PCs later on today.. always fun... might try gut's uberdooming idea, if I can survive long enough to piss off 3 gods....

I like weaponsmiths. nOrmally use dwarves, just for the feel of it, hurthlings are good if you find some rocks early on, gnomes are cool for the gems, and I also like dark elves. Female dark elven weaponsmiths. How are they not hot???

Just leave the anvil someplace safe whilst you do terinyo quests, (get the ants on PC2 to mine for you) then head on over to UD for early forge goodness - if you find one in the UD, pimp all your best armour (forget actual weaponsmithing until ego weapons found, you are really an armoursmith) with all the ore you and the PC2 ants could find, and then proceed with ease for ages.

Later, if generated high enough, just lure the dwarven smithy to the level below dwarf town, as for some reason you wont be able to mend your own pickaxes.

Keep smithing beyond "despite your best efforts, you fail to improve the blah blah" messages. Don't stop smithing your phase daggers until you have at least one point of DV attached...

But mainly, smith your armours.... use different metals for your helm, sheild, body armour, gauntlets etc - that way you wont waste your ore.

I've always found weaponsmiths to be a right pain in the arse. Even Dwarven Weaponsmiths (which are supposed to be extra good at smithing) just die right off the bat. Must just not be patient enough I guess.

LoRd Of CoRrUpTiOn