Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: On the subject of wishing...

What does RNG stand for?
    Random number generator.
    What is the 19 ring trick?
    19 is the maximum quantity of rings for dipping. So with PoEx you can get 19 RoDS at once.

We've already established I don't know my abbreviations...

Is PoEx a potion of exchange? If so, how does this help you get 19 RoDS? Would you need to find 19 stackable rings, dip them and hope for the best?

Also, does the RNG turn on you if you get too lucky or are you guys just superstitious?
    Last edited by electric_wizard; 06-16-2008 at 09:42 AM. Reason: addition

Aye, a PoEx is a potion of exchane. RoDS is a Ring of Djinni Summoning. Since you'll no doubt have a large stack of rings by the time you want to start dipping, you should be able to get to a stack of 19 easily enough once you're started the process. Best place to dip them is Coc: Level 8. Or 9. One of those. I rarely do it anyway.

As for the RNG. No idea if it actually ever seems you're getting too lucky. But a lot of people are superstitious, and when a character is on a roll, are just waiting for the bad thing to happen that will bring the character back down to earth.

LoRd Of CoRrUpTiOn

I still don't understand. Surely in order for that to work you'd need 19 identical rings wouldn't you?

Also, a PoEx would surely just turn them all into random a ring so the chances of getting RoDS must be pretty small.

Out of interest, what difference does the floor your on make?

Danger Level of Dungeon Level predetermines item generation.
    I've seen numbers like:
    On D:8 and Dwarven Graveyard - 5% chance to get RoDS
    On DH:1 - 4% chance.

yes, you need identical rings. but say you had -

3 blessed rings acid resistance
    2 uncursed rings cold resistance
    2 cursed rings fire resistance

You dip the 3 acid rings, and they turn into 3 rings of cold resistance. They will go into a seperate stack until you identify their status. Identify them, and you find they are all blessed. Bless the other 2 rings of cold resistance. you now have 5 rings. Dip these 5 - they turn into uncursed rings of fire resistance. Uncurse your other 2, and you're up to 7. Thats how you build the stacks up, until you reach 19 one one type, and start dipping them.

And for the floor level, every place in ADOM has a different danger level, with certain items only coming on certain danger levels. Level 8 is when RoDS can be generated. Going deeper leaves the option for higher rating rings to be introduced.

Hope that explains it, someone else might to better.

LoRd Of CoRrUpTiOn

And the trick is to have enough Exchange potions to start with. So if it's a 5% chance to get them into Djinni summoning rings, on average you'd need 20 of those to start with. But after you manage it once -and you don't need 19 rings necessarily to make it work- just wish for more Exchange potions with all or most of the rings - then you can dip the brass rings and so forth.

Never done it myself, seems just kinda pointless. No fun in it.

Same here. Having 19 wishes pretty much breaks the game, unless you spend them on fun things.
    ADOM Guides - whatever you wanted to know about playing a certain class, but have been afraid to ask!

Check out my youtube channel to see my ADOM videos, including a completed playthrough of the game. I try to give instructions, so if you want to see some place you haven't been before and get some hints on how to deal with it, this might help! There's also some other games featured there that you might find interesting.

Yeah I guess that makes sense. Seems like an awful lot of work though and how often do you have 20 PoEx lying around?

Wishing for fun things...

Well, I just spent 73 wishes on 'JADE'
    Of course it's unfair - that's the whole point.

The Adom wiki: everything you don't want to know about Adom.
    http://ancardia.wikia.com/