Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: What we like about ADOM...

Default What we like about ADOM...

I made this thread so that forum members could post their favourite aspects about ADOM. I'm hoping that this could provide Thomas with helpful research data on what to set as a priority, and possibly what to omit, from further developments into JADE, ADOM and any other projects he might persue in the future.

Actually I just made it to have bragging rights on the first ADOM thread.

I like how it sticks to straight-up roguelikeness (no graphics, text based), the everything-random generation and the world map.
    Last edited by Jeziah; 03-07-2008 at 12:25 AM.
    Jeziah: ...It's unpleasantly like being drunk.
    Nub: wut soes uknplesant abut bee-in drunk?
    Jeziah: Ask a glass of water.

When Jeziah stood in front of a mirror, the mirror shattered. Hypothesis confirmed: even glass isn't stupid enough to get between Jeziah and Jeziah.

I like everything about ADOM except for the lack of moose =p
    Ancient Domains of Insanity
    Insane Dungeon of the Rogues
    Twitch

If you happen to know of a location to a missing chapter of ADOI, please contact me. <3

The thing that makes ADOM stand out from other roguelikes most, for me, is that it doesn't go the 'everything plus the kitchen sink' route. It has a coherent story and setting and sticks with it. There aren't a ton of races and classes all over the place like some others.

Of course, you can't forget that the interface is one of the simplest and most elegant out there, the good combination of structure and randomness (Law and Chaos?) in level design, or the shiny artifacts. Good stuff all over really, but the cohesiveness of it all is what grabbed me.

I like the straight forward design that's often missing in rogue-likes, the intuitiveness of the interface is helpful.

I like the fact that it has a well thought out story line but you don't have to do it to have fun.
    Guns don't kill people Magic missiles do!

If I had to pick one thing out of the many, I'd say the almost complete lack of unfair deaths. Almost every time I died, I could look back on it and see something I'd done wrong, or something I should have done differently, and I can learn from it. This is much more fun than walking along minding your own business and suddeny getting "an elder god teleports in from another plane of existence and eats you" without any warning at all.

Thumbs up Danger!

I'd have to say I love the danger factor. Granted one wrong move at any char level in most roguelikes CAN mean insta-death, but the world of ADOM just SEEMS more dangerous, it makes me think more, and it draws me in more. The random encounters, the dungeon generation systems, and the VERY unique locations all add to the huge amount of danger around. I remember my first month of playing I always went to the small cave and kept dying, not understanding why i died there and no where else it wasnt until later i found the secret of that cave, and I dont think i have to mention the first time I stumbled upon the tower of eternal flame, we all know how that went our first time lol. And I happened to be playing a drakeling ranger too lol. Adom rocks.

Quote Originally Posted by Sradac View Post
    I dont think i have to mention the first time I stumbled upon the tower of eternal flame, we all know how that went our first time lol.
    Don't remind me xD
    Ancient Domains of Insanity
    Insane Dungeon of the Rogues
    Twitch

If you happen to know of a location to a missing chapter of ADOI, please contact me. <3

ADOM is simply the best CRPG I've ever played. Endless replayability, great storyline, fascinating game world and hundreds of little things that make it stand apart from all other games (from cats to bridgebuilding)

Love it for it's simple-complexity, yes I know it makes no sense... Until I say this: In ADOM you can do absolutaly anything you want, you can get quests from people, explore, level up, Hang around areas, make companions, tame monsters, train magic or strength, etc... Yet ADOM is quite simple in terms of graphics and the GUI, on how it displays the enviroment... Not to mention the tiny size of the executable...