Page 57 of 58 FirstFirst ... 747535455565758 LastLast

Thread: The 'treasure hunter' talent sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyreles View Post
    Hate to keep reviving this thread, but how great would it be to see a patch note that just says:

The "Treasure Hunter" talent has been adjusted in power

And leave it at that. He wouldn't even have to change anything. That one note could keep this thread alive for another 4 or 5 years arguing over whether it got stronger or weaker...

I can't believe this thread lives on after all these years. And this, Sir, is a majestic suggestion. LOL

Anyhow, I still think TH pays off in the adjusted version. Specially for the very weak classes or anyone who might find themselves in dire trouble in the early game. Why? Flexibility to deal with the RNG whims.

Yes, extra PV or speed could save your life but ADOM sometimes just doesn't let you do that. A number of situations exemplify this: it could be a jackalwere ambush in the wild with a weak char where that extra potion of invisibility (and previously used scroll of identify) saves the char's life and he goes on to defeat great foes.

It could be that shield that dropped and provided the char with enough DV/PV to survive a tough encounter.

It could be all the tiny stuff, and often IS the tiny stuff! Like finding gloves,boots,helms, girdles and cloaks with PV rating on them to make a char buff enough to survive the early game.

And my point after all is focused on survivability. Yes, for me TH brings survivability to the table. Just like PV or Speed.

By the mid-game everyone usually has everything they need. The THunter only has more of it. But in the early game, after a VD and PC raid, you can usually count the THunter to have more reliable gear for a UD dive. Of course, one might not like this playstyle and that's OK too. But I do, and after a long break from (old) TH and now back to using it again (the new one) I find myself in love with it all over again.
    Wins:

Lvl 50 Dark Elf Mindcrafter.
    Lvl 50 High Elf Assassin (Dual weilding).
    Lvl 50 Dark Elf Paladin.
    Lvl 50 Gnomish Assassin (Failed ultra turned normal gate closer)
    Lvl 50 Hurthling Thief (ULE).

I think instead of just a generic Treasure Hunter, it would be much more interesting to split it into separate categories - "Potions hunter", "Scroll hunter", "Spellbook hunter", "Sword hunter", "Shield Hunter", etc., that would increase drops of that particular type of item/probability of suffixes/prefixes in case of weapons and armor.

Quote Originally Posted by pblack View Post
    But in the early game, after a VD and PC raid, you can usually count the THunter to have more reliable gear for a UD dive.
    most of good stuff usually comes from PC6 vault. Vault monsters are known to have different item drop percentage and if they are affected or not via TH was never tested.

In short TH sucks.

No, actually it doesn't suck. It's the best talent.
    "Hell is empty and all the devils are here."

Quote Originally Posted by Blasphemous View Post
    It's the best talent.
    Given overall impact of talents - saying "It sucks" and "It's the best talent" are not contradictory.

Just a question for you guys.....for the sake of argument, if you could only choose alert/porter/quick as the 1st talent, and never again, which one would you choose? i would still choose alert for TH or MissileWM! also, TH is not just 1 talent, it is 3...including a blocking talent on lvl 1. however, i still think it is OP cause miser is good too and increased loot is always welcome! also, the post abv regarding the other talents being utterly useless! (except beast of burden perhaps)

Quote Originally Posted by divij View Post
    ause miser is good too and increased loot
    Isn't miser the one which replaces some items on level generation with gold piles? Or it just me having memory issues?

Quote Originally Posted by Soirana View Post
    Isn't miser the one which replaces some items on level generation with gold piles? Or it just me having memory issues?
    i don't think it replaces, it increases gold generation.

But, divj, i agree, i would pick TH, i rarely even pick porter line and speed is more than enough during the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Soirana View Post
    So what are your starting talents of choice?
    Last edited by sweetnothing; 04-23-2015 at 01:15 PM.

Why would you start with Porter or Quick? They aren't starting talents. Alert is. So of course you're taking it.

Treasure Hunter rocks, as per usual. May this thread forever shamble.
    ADOM Guides - whatever you wanted to know about playing a certain class, but have been afraid to ask!

Check out my youtube channel to see my ADOM videos, including a completed playthrough of the game. I try to give instructions, so if you want to see some place you haven't been before and get some hints on how to deal with it, this might help! There's also some other games featured there that you might find interesting.