Page 55 of 58 FirstFirst ... 5455152535455565758 LastLast

Thread: The 'treasure hunter' talent sucks.

Many heroes tried it, but none succeeded... the mighty TH thread was just unkillable. Occasionally, somebody would be lucky enough to apparently defeat the horrible beast, but it would be only a matter of months before it would resurrect again and continue its reign of terror upon the forums.
    You hit Andor Drakon, the ElDeR cHaOs GoD, and severely wound him.
    The greater balor summons some help!
    The ratling duelist disarms you. You drop your blessed Trident of the Red Rooster (+36, 6d12+18) [+12, +12]. It flies to the west.
    Andor Drakon, the ElDeR cHaOs GoD, picks up the blessed Trident of the Red Rooster (+36, 6d12+18) [+12, +12].
    Andor Drakon, the ElDeR cHaOs GoD, wields the blessed Trident of the Red Rooster (+36, 6d12+18) [+12, +12].

Obviously, there is a pressing need to discuss the value of Treasure Hunter once more in light of ADOM 1.2.0. Clearly the talent is unbalanced and must be nuffed. I mean berfed.
    ADOM Guides - whatever you wanted to know about playing a certain class, but have been afraid to ask!

Check out my youtube channel to see my ADOM videos, including a completed playthrough of the game. I try to give instructions, so if you want to see some place you haven't been before and get some hints on how to deal with it, this might help! There's also some other games featured there that you might find interesting.

Is the current theory thought to be incorrect? (If a monster would otherwise drop nothing, there's another bonus 1/8, or 12.5%, roll for it to drop something.)

I guess that kind of formulation would be annoying to test, but I'm okay with leaving it as a mystery

Quote Originally Posted by Laukku View Post
    Many heroes tried it, but none succeeded... the mighty TH thread was just unkillable. Occasionally, somebody would be lucky enough to apparently defeat the horrible beast, but it would be only a matter of months before it would resurrect again and continue its reign of terror upon the forums.
    Yep. And the thread title is still blatantly erroneous. The exact opposite of the truth actually.

Quote Originally Posted by Al-Khwarizmi View Post
    Yep. And the thread title is still blatantly erroneous. The exact opposite of the truth actually.
    Haha well it's a guy's opinion. We're all entitled to one.

I personally win more games with TH than without.
    If heir wasn't so terrible for every non-bard (maybe thief) PC I would like it over TH.

Funny, I never knew TH existed until I joined this forum. Nowadays most every pc of mine acquire this talent.
    Having played maybe 98% of the time without it, believe me. It makes a huge difference in the quality and quantity of items generated.
    Last edited by Stingray1; 08-24-2012 at 05:19 AM.

My level 20 paladin has quite excellent gear. I got good armors, tons of rings and amulets and stuff. Also I got both the sword of devastation and the sword of sharpness. Just found Seven league boots [+4, +2] too. Quite well supplied with potions and scrolls. If I had 1/5 less stuff without TH, that would mean I wouldn't have 10 potions of holy water but only 8. I think in the long run TH might just very well be worth it. Many of the alternative talents discussed here make merely the early game a bit easier but turn meaningless later. TH gives lasting benefit.

What I always do is get Alert in the beginning and then go with some more urgent talents before getting Miser and TH.

> Haha well it's a guy's opinion. We're all entitled to one.

I changed my mind about this years ago when a code diver (i think twinge) gave me some
    accurate numbers on it. I now forget what they were, but they factored out to be better
    than I thought.
    "Whip me!" pleads the adom player. The rng replies... "No."

Then you should edit the title to redeem yourself and cleanse your soul. Or something.

this forum doesn't allow thread title editing, even for mods, which I am (kinda)

PS most humerous example of this is the thread entitled 'time shitters avenue'
    "Whip me!" pleads the adom player. The rng replies... "No."