Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Luck

Default Luck

Well, I think Creator Day start for my Dwarven Ranger really did help. I had forgotten that I had yet to obtain Teleport Control when I went to the DDL/VDDL. I dove down to the VDDL, and hit a teleportation trap, which sent me to the center of the level. I go "Damn, I forgot to install teleport control on this guy! How could I forget that!" I take 5 more steps, hit another teleportation trap, and teleport right into the room with the wand and the downstairs. My reaction? Something like this...

Me: ............................
    Me: Holy Shit.

EDIT: Also, I forgot to mention that I got only my 2nd ever RoDS during my exploration of SMC/UD, the very first dungeon I delved with this character. And then generated the Stone Giant Lord. Neutral. Whew.

EDIT 2: Further luck. At 25 STR, drink from a pool, get slightly strengthened. Two dozen steps later, gain 1 pt of Strength. I think I agree with Grey now, Karma wasn't with me because I made my first Creator's Day character a few hours early, but this character, who I made on the day itself for me, is rocking faces and taking names.
    Last edited by FantomFang; 07-04-2008 at 04:12 AM.
    Normal - GE Ranger, Human Monk, GE Wizard, Hurthling Beastfighter, Hurthling Farmer
    Ultra - ULE GE Wizard

Another thing, actually a question here. What could I expect of the risk/reward of fighting/eating the Oracle? I understand that I need to stand at an angle, 'cuz she won't even move, but how much gain should I expect to get, considering i can make myself at least sick before it eat it, and I'll likely be around 14-15 Le? I wanna be able to read books better, because I lucked out and found a book shop on D:1, and I am sadly unable to read most of them (If only I had a wand of wonder, eh?)
    Normal - GE Ranger, Human Monk, GE Wizard, Hurthling Beastfighter, Hurthling Farmer
    Ultra - ULE GE Wizard

Per "improved" guidebook
    Oracle corpse - Spellcasting monster, (+6 Le), Bad luck
    As oracle is spellcasing moncter - Cursed: 5%: +2d3PP; Uncursed: 25%: +2d3PP; Blessed: 50%: +2d3PP, 16.7%: +1 Ma
    Parenthesised Stat Chances are 100% at 1-20
    "Bad luck" means lose Lucky and Fate Smiles intristics if present, and gain Cursed and Doomed intristic.

Almost everything in adom depends on luck. I remember having AoLS and 7LB lying next to each other in HMV shop. Or AoLS in black market(just started with candle-born DE beasrfighter).
    Last edited by DeSt; 07-04-2008 at 12:57 PM.

Pretty sure +6 Le is possible if your Le is sucky enough at time of consumption - go for sick and starving. And know where your nearest altar is, as thou shalt be doomed for thy Oracle consumption, with or without spoon.

I don't think that good item finds are linked to the lucky intrinsics, or the teleportation to the stairs - you just got lucky.

I agree that the luck stuff is unrelated to the Creator's Day bonuses - I certainly noticed none in my game, required hard effort to keep my druid safe. The many dead will likely agree.

As for eating the oracle, she usually gives +6 Le if it's low enough. I always bless the corpse and usually make myself sick before eating. Just remember to head straight back to an altar to sac something and get rid of the dooming.

Yea, I know it isn't. I just felt the karma gods speaking, considering your post the other day Gray, about the creation of my contest character a few hours early.
    Ultra - ULE GE Wizard

And speaking of the karma gods, the game crashed. Right after I had just spent an hour or two herbing it up (I like doing it all at once, and not as I go along). Crashed on ADOM Sage as I was just holding down the move button to mow through a horde of rats.
    Ultra - ULE GE Wizard

Speaking about luck. Gnome mindcrafter. Eternium two-handed sword in SMC. Precrowned by an Executor and cleared pyramid and DF. lvl 21. Surge of power at D:7 - BoW. Still not used mindcraft even once.

More crazy RNG stuff:

PC:6 Undead Vault (as always)

D:3 Orc Vault (happens most of the time on CoC near surface)

D:5 Mixed vault (Wow, more of vaults)

D:7 Another Undead Vault (Even more vaults?)

D:12 Another Mixed vault (Ohh cmoon...)

Ridiculous!
    Too bad I died here, there could have been even more of them