Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Drawing ideas from other games..

Quote Originally Posted by Laukku View Post
    A gravestone will be generated on the spot where the "bone PC" (BPC) died, with a text like "Here lies [name], the [race\class] that was killed by [reason]. May he rest in peace."
    Then who would have cared enough to bury the adventurer deep in the dungeon?

Quote Originally Posted by Laukku View Post
    The PC may decide to ignore the grave or rob it. If he digs it open, a ghost of the BPC will jump out. This is similiar to "Great Treasures" graves, except that the treasures are in the the ghost's inventory. (And maybe a special monster type should be developed for this purpose, as normal undead monsters could be unbalanced with their special powers and weaknesses. I will call this monster "Memory" from now on.) Artifacts convert into similiar non-artifact items. The Memory also gets the same attributes, spell and skill list etc. as BPC. In other words, the Memory would be as similiar as possible when it was alive.
    Hmm, well... if the undead wears the equipment it cannot be a ghost because they are too ethereal to wear any physical clothes so some kind of a zombie could be more fitting.

Otherwise good idea but I don't think the beings of the dungeon would be bothered to bury all unfortunate adventurers.
    Last edited by Nezur; 07-18-2008 at 04:29 PM.

NetHack had gravestones in bones files, too. :p Maybe a lawful NPC that happened to pass by buried them. Wait - at the moment of writing this, I realised that this is a logical explanation :) As lawul NPCs encountering the dead PC before other monsters are uncommon, bones levels should be uncommon, too. :)

@Grey: "Graveyards"? What graveyards?
    Last edited by Laukku; 07-19-2008 at 06:55 PM.
    You hit Andor Drakon, the ElDeR cHaOs GoD, and severely wound him.
    The greater balor summons some help!
    The ratling duelist disarms you. You drop your blessed Trident of the Red Rooster (+36, 6d12+18) [+12, +12]. It flies to the west.
    Andor Drakon, the ElDeR cHaOs GoD, picks up the blessed Trident of the Red Rooster (+36, 6d12+18) [+12, +12].
    Andor Drakon, the ElDeR cHaOs GoD, wields the blessed Trident of the Red Rooster (+36, 6d12+18) [+12, +12].

I'd like to see JADE add some storylines that allow you to choose from several factions which you can give your support to. The outcome of the rest of the game would change depending on what you did. This type of story is used heavily in the Spiderweb Software games, like Geneforge or Avernum.

One very useful feature (present in Rogue itself) I'd like to see, is the ability to name unIDed item types. When you use a wand/potion/scroll/other item and the effect does not reveal what the item was, the game asks you to name the item. For example, after you zap an oak wand at a monster and it gives the message "-foo- seems to blur for a moment", you can call all oak wands someting like "blurring monster". This feature can also be used at any point of the game, by using a special command. The command in JADE could be the same as 'n'aming monsters, with the game asking "Name a [m]onster or an type of [i]tems?"
    You hit Andor Drakon, the ElDeR cHaOs GoD, and severely wound him.
    The greater balor summons some help!
    The ratling duelist disarms you. You drop your blessed Trident of the Red Rooster (+36, 6d12+18) [+12, +12]. It flies to the west.
    Andor Drakon, the ElDeR cHaOs GoD, picks up the blessed Trident of the Red Rooster (+36, 6d12+18) [+12, +12].
    Andor Drakon, the ElDeR cHaOs GoD, wields the blessed Trident of the Red Rooster (+36, 6d12+18) [+12, +12].

I like the idea of being banished to other planes, though only by high level enemies. The planes you are banished to should work more like side-quests than insta-deaths though. Like getting banished to Dis and having to deal with demons to get out, rather than spawning into a giant field of really strongs monsters.

Quote Originally Posted by Nezur View Post
    Passers-by might strip the corpse of highly valuable and powerful items. Perhaps some of those beings will still be around when you find the corpse so you'll still have to fight for the powerful items. The beings will be harder to defeat because they will be wearing the high quality equipment.
    I like the ideas of finding dead players. I think items should disappear randomly: a representation that travellers and monsters have looted the body which still prevents the cheating of dying right where the player starts off.

Being able to name unIDed items or monsters also sounds really good.

the Wizardry series had two names for all monsters, a generic name like if you come across some bats you can clearly see they're bats, then after a bit once you recognize them you realize they're Dusk Bats, or Vampire Bats. Went with all creatures in that game, and i thought it was really cool. What you thought was a simple zombie you miggt soon realize is a fearful Revenant that might just mean your doom.