Page 35 of 41 FirstFirst ... 25313233343536373839 ... LastLast

Thread: SSH-accessible public ADOM server online (experimental)

I'm using the ssh command to connect to the server via a urxvt terminal window (ubuntu). Sometimem when I try to hit the "page down" key (or "page up" key) in a menu, i typo and hit "home" or "end" instead. For some reason, these are interpreted as letters. Specifically, Home gives me 'F' insert gives me 'K', 'end' gives me 'h', and delete gives me 'J'

this is annoying, because hitting 'end' instead of 'page down' invariably results in me wasting a talent on affinity with some weapon i don't want.

I have the same problem in the linux version of adom. is there a way to fix this, possibly editing .adom.kbd?

the home/end keys work normally in vim.

I am sure this has been asked before but I couldn't pinpoint it down via search.

I note all games are recorded. Is there a way I can see my played games? I would love to watch myself run a game, see where I go wrong and what I did right in various situations I encounter. Great learning tool if this is possible.

Love the server, should have tried this a long time ago. I don't even play much on my ADOM netserver I built at home anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Deg View Post
    I am sure this has been asked before but I couldn't pinpoint it down via search.

I note all games are recorded. Is there a way I can see my played games? I would love to watch myself run a game, see where I go wrong and what I did right in various situations I encounter. Great learning tool if this is possible.

Love the server, should have tried this a long time ago. I don't even play much on my ADOM netserver I built at home anymore.
    This is actually covered in sever readme, http://ancardia.ath.cx in [Session recording and playback] section.

Thanks but I woke up this morning refreshed and with a semi working brain (see my latest YASD post) and read the readme again, found it in there.

I should have posted I had found it.

I do have a question on spectating. I noticed while spectating someone said something to the player. What keycombo allows that? I am trying to talk my GF into playing on the server since I have stopped playing local now so we can do some coop play. Would be nice to talk to her ingame. Also is there a way to password protect games from spectators?

Cheers.

nathrakh Guest

Are you talking of the Ancardia server or Moult's server here? You can chat to spectators via 'monster memory', press & key.

Ancardia server doesn't have co-op, Moult's does have. So if you play on Ancardia (or AncardiUS), you're game is "safe" so to speak. Or did you mean disabling the ability for spectators to connect at all?

Quote Originally Posted by nathrakh View Post
    Are you talking of the Ancardia server or Moult's server here? You can chat to spectators via 'monster memory', press & key.

Ancardia server doesn't have co-op, Moult's does have. So if you play on Ancardia (or AncardiUS), you're game is "safe" so to speak. Or did you mean disabling the ability for spectators to connect at all?
    There has been a co-op for a couple of days now. To use it, you log in to the same SSH account and choose the co-op menu option.

Quote Originally Posted by Deg View Post
    Thanks but I woke up this morning refreshed and with a semi working brain (see my latest YASD post) and read the readme again, found it in there.

I should have posted I had found it.

I do have a question on spectating. I noticed while spectating someone said something to the player. What keycombo allows that? I am trying to talk my GF into playing on the server since I have stopped playing local now so we can do some coop play. Would be nice to talk to her ingame. Also is there a way to password protect games from spectators?

Cheers.
    To send messages to spectators, you need to log in first. There is then a menu option. Unfortunately spectating is completely public atm and there's no way to protect it...

If you've found a good way to introduce girlfriends to ADOM, though, let me know.

if it is just the messages that you don't want others to see, you
    could use a different way of sending messages. irc private
    messaging?
    "Whip me!" pleads the adom player. The rng replies... "No."

Quote Originally Posted by jaakkos View Post
    To send messages to spectators, you need to log in first. There is then a menu option. Unfortunately spectating is completely public atm and there's no way to protect it...

If you've found a good way to introduce girlfriends to ADOM, though, let me know.
    Having spectators public is no big deal just something I thought of. We have various means to chat about whats going on so a fairly non-issue.

Good way? Umm, not really. She was a gamer to begin with, I just suggested after a conversation we had about zork she should try ADOM. She is a little frustrated with it, I think her highest character was 12th which isn't a bad start. I am hoping if she spec's a few players including myself she will pick up some tips or see certain aspects of the game differently then she currently does.

In reference, I have been playing on Ancardia server under Jinx (My typical character name).

Thanks for the co-op play information. Still working on her to play good to know she will have to use my ssh account.

Quote Originally Posted by fflaguna View Post
    There is now a clone of jaakkos' server, still administered by jaakkos, but based in the US. User profiles could not be migrated so you have to log on as adom/adom the first time you connect and make a new user account.

The address is ancardius.ath.cx (AncardiUS), and is based out of Tacoma, WA for the time being.

See you there with better latency, fellow North Americans!
    Woo-hoo!

I can't believe I went so long without checking this forum.

I know what I'm planning to do tonight, and I can't stop smiling.