Page 38 of 41 FirstFirst ... 283435363738394041 LastLast

Thread: SSH-accessible public ADOM server online (experimental)

new server is up now.

ancardia.us.to
    port 22
    ssh protocol 2

It has somewhat more limited cpu resources than the old server (for the time being anyway),
    and there is no way to throttle the cpu 'perfreakingcent' from the autoroller (that we can find), so please
    keep autorolling to reasonable levels. Additional server info is here: http://ancardia.us.to/

Major thanks to Karrde for being a super motivated uber linux guru of server creation.
    Last edited by gut; 07-11-2012 at 11:02 PM.
    "Whip me!" pleads the adom player. The rng replies... "No."

Thank you so super many times for this.

I was having to go to nethack@nethack.veekun.com but the character creation screen didn't offer the special features like this one does.

I'm so back to being happy again.

Consider ancardia.us.to in beta. Amazon EC2 might not be the best platform for a 24/7 VPS (though the free tier price can't be beat).

@Addison you were asking for the ADOM source code, but no one but the Creator has that. You can't compile ADOM.

Those who want just the server files: I started writing down how I set up the server. I might want to go through it again from the beginning (on a Linode?) before releasing them & the necessary files. So I'll release notes & minimal files eventually (days/weeks from now).

I prefer to go by Alucard, but it's of course taken on Freenode; Karrde is my personal VPS' name and Nakiami is about my 17th choice of a nickname, which was finally not taken on Freenode.

Can we put the server files on some public source control? github? Jaakos and sorear are the main developers, yes? It'd be polite to get their permission/license before publicly releasing them though.
    Last edited by Alucard; 07-12-2012 at 04:03 PM.
    ADOM, where the most commonly used letter in the alphabet is the explosive rune. - starfries

jaakkos used to have them in a publicly accessable repository
    "Whip me!" pleads the adom player. The rng replies... "No."

Ok, so you have something:

http://ancardia.us.to/ancardia.us.to.tar.gz
    http://ancardia.us.to/setup.txt

That's what 'should' be enough to set up your own server. No user files included. Second link is my setup notes, HOWEVER, they were compiled post set up and so are not thoroughly tested.
    ADOM, where the most commonly used letter in the alphabet is the explosive rune. - starfries

Both of the previous links have had changes made.

I like seeing the number of players on the server

That said, I'm going to switch the server to the cheapest Rackspace unmanaged VPS plan, and the number of players and their time zones make it difficult to find a time when no one's on . To ensure a data sync, I'm going to disable logins about 11PM US-EDT (GMT -4) tonight, and make the data sync & switchover tomorrow morning. I'll have to kill anyone still playing when I go to do the switch. The server will be back before 12PM EDT Friday.

This switch will: make it cost me less per month (especially once Amazon EC2 free tier runs out); allow more and more constant CPU usage and prevent excessive rerolling from causing lag; and allow me to stop worrying about disk i/o. It will drop me to 256MB RAM, but the EC2 server is currently using only 107MB RAM for applications (the rest for buffers & cache) so I doubt that will be a problem.

Edit: switched
    Last edited by Alucard; 07-20-2012 at 08:54 PM.

I've put a copy of the Guidebook at http://ancardia.us.to/guidebook/ and also added a menu option to browse the guidebook via ssh (open a new ssh window).

tty recording is DISABLED by default on ancardia.us.to. Users who created before I implemented this will still have it enabled. Toggle it with the 'r' menu option.

The front page is now pretty, and the readme menu option works again.

http://ancardia.us.to/ancardia.us.to.tar.gz is automatically regenerated every morning, so my other changes make it into the publicly available image.

PuTTY users, please enable compression under Connection -> SSH -> Enable Compression. Be sure to save this setting to your ancardia.us.to profile if you have one.

Not to quintuple post (ok, to quintuple post, but I think the delay between posts excuses me):

Fistanarius is now on Twitter, laughing at your pitiful attempts. Follow him or be blasted.

140 characters is not much to work with, so he has to abbreviate the R/C and truncate the death reason. But I like it.

Tweet volume will be on the high side as the 1.2.0p3 hi score list isn't full yet (nobody plays 1.0.0 and the 1.1.1 bar is pretty high on the server), but it'll slow down as people die or win 1.2.0p3.

P.S. Did I not link my changelog before? There it is. Those are my server changes from FFLaguna's AncardiUS image. A much smaller backup of my AncardiaUS server, with my changes, is linked above.
    Last edited by Alucard; 10-12-2012 at 02:34 PM.

I didn't realize you had 1.2.0 p3 up and running on the server. I'll go play now.
    Proud member of Team Silfir in the Treasure Hunter debate.