Page 39 of 41 FirstFirst ... 2935363738394041 LastLast

Thread: SSH-accessible public ADOM server online (experimental)

Quote Originally Posted by Kyreles View Post
    I didn't realize you had 1.2.0 p3 up and running on the server. I'll go play now.
    Oh thank God! I've been holding off on playing it since there's no easy way to resize the windows version but this fixes all that.

1.2.0p4 is now available on the server. The 'mp' command will now give you a prompt for which prerelease you want to play. 3 is still free, but for 4 on, you will have to provide the same details you got in the email you received for donating enough money to the campaign.

I plan for 1.2.0p4 on to the last prerelease to share hi score files if they are compatible.

On Sage: it does work with 32-bit Debian p3 (but not 32-bit Ubuntu p3), but it doesn't work with 32-bit Debian p4. Sorry.
    ADOM, where the most commonly used letter in the alphabet is the explosive rune. - starfries

Quote Originally Posted by Alucard View Post
    1.2.0p4 is now available on the server. The 'mp' command will now give you a prompt for which prerelease you want to play. 3 is still free, but for 4 on, you will have to provide the same details you got in the email you received for donating enough money to the campaign.
    Surprising! That's a nice solution so that we can play in the server without violating the donor-only nature of the prerelease

I got Sage to compile and work with ADOM 1.2.0p4, but I'm not certain of its stability. It will be disabled by default but you can turn it back on in the usual manner.

jaakkos' magic is still beyond me, for now, so no autosaving (except on save and quit), star sign selector, or roller, but the vanilla Sage seems to work. Please test and report bugs.
    ADOM, where the most commonly used letter in the alphabet is the explosive rune. - starfries

So, when I first put p3 on the server, I went with the 64-bit version, which proved to be a lot of trouble with Sage. I've already made Sage p4-compatible; making it 64-bit compatible be a lot more work*, and I don't really want to do that again. I'm switching p3 to 32-bit for that reason and just to be consistent (and will stick with 32-bit with further releases until they aren't offered). Now, save files and hi score files are not compatible between bitnesses so I've coded up some transition support stuff. The 14 of you who have 64-bit p3 save files can continue to use 64-bit p3 and compete against the 64-bit p3 hi score file. Once all of your p3 save games are gone (either win, die, or quit), you'll have the option** of switching to 32-bit p3. Anyone without p3 save files as of 10 minutes ago will get 32-bit p3.

* p4 switched from vsprintf to vsnprintf. 64-bit p3 uses __vsprintf_chk. I don't even want to know what 64-bit p4 uses; probably __vsnprintf_chk. Sage works by intercepting these basic C++ functions in several different places, so to maintain support for all versions would require quadruple the number of functions 1.1.1 support requires. Some of the functions are easy to refactor out into a common block and and *printf command, but some aren't, at least, without code duplication and all the gotchas that entails.
    ** the default is to switch
    Last edited by Alucard; 10-30-2012 at 08:13 PM.

p6 is now available.

If anyone wants to pay for an EU server, I'd be happy to run it. I recommend getting a Linode (that's my referral link); sign up and create me an account that can log in (but not see your credit card) and I'd deploy one to London and go.

Is there a way I could buy something cheap and not too power intensive that I could have running 24/7 in London?
    Platinum Edition ADOMer
    http://gamesofgrey.com - check out my roguelikes!

Not sure what you mean; like a USD20/mo virtual private server from Linode above? I don't know anything about physical hosting or colocating.

Well I ain't paying $600 over 5 years for a server :P
    Platinum Edition ADOMer
    http://gamesofgrey.com - check out my roguelikes!

I was gonna set up a server from my house, but I have spotty internet. Grey: Talk to your ISP about getting a static IP. Not sure what it costs in London, but I pay like $4 a month (extra) for a static IP and I love it. I can remote into my network from anywhere. If you were to do this, setting up a server wouldn't be too hard. Just need a computer to leave on.
    Proud member of Team Silfir in the Treasure Hunter debate.