Page 40 of 41 FirstFirst ... 30363738394041 LastLast

Thread: SSH-accessible public ADOM server online (experimental)

Yeah, if you go with a VPS, you let someone else worry about power, cooling, redundancy, reliability, failsafe methods, recovery, IPs, routing, etc.

For a home server, at the minimum you'd want a UPS (connected to the server and the server configured to shut down cleanly when the UPS tells it it's low), a static IP from your ISP, a decent upload speed (ie: nothing but fibre in the US), decent latency, a router with port forwarding that's not going to die when the 20th user connects (I've seen routers keel over when too many connections are open), and an ISP that won't care about all the incoming connections and the constant (low) traffic and the monthly upload total. Anything less and users will complain about unreliability, slowness, etc, and go somewhere else.

CPU usage is very low (unless you're on Amazon's lowest tier). It's more RAM intensive as users increase; I'm a bit worried about the 256MB Ancardia has, but it's been fine so far. Disk usage is low until someone leaves ttyrecs on for hours of botting. Network transfer is pretty low, only up to ~30kB/s; but over a month it can get above 15GB uploaded.

Gander at the Ancardia resource stats:
    http://ancardia.us.to/vnstat/
    http://ancardia.us.to/munin/us.to/an....to/index.html

Well I ain't paying $600 over 5 years for a server :P
    $10/mo is too much ??

I'm a sysadmin during the day; I don't want to have to worry about all the above points all the time for my fun projects, which is why I pay the ~$15/mo (it's not static with Rackspace; I pay for network upload) for someone else to worry about it. And Rackspace (and Linode) are probably the top VPS providers and have been doing it for a longtime.
    Last edited by Alucard; 12-07-2012 at 04:01 PM.
    ADOM, where the most commonly used letter in the alphabet is the explosive rune. - starfries

Good news, everyone!

I've done a lot of working packaging all my server changes and rejiggering so it makes sysadmins happier. The code is now on GitHub.

In case me and my credit card get hit by a ... win the lottery tomorrow, someone else will be able to run their own server, and with much less effort than I had to expend . The INSTALL directions may have 19 steps, but believe me that's distilled down and organized for your convenience.

I've been testing of course, but I won't think of everything. If anyone wants to try and test and send me bug reports or patches, they'd be welcome. Challenge my assumptions.

I don't actually know how to use git well, but if you send me a 'pull request', I'll figure it out.

My current server is pretty much running equivalent code, but it's not running directly off this code base. At some point I will probably switch over, to make my life easier (it shouldn't change anything about the user info).
    ADOM, where the most commonly used letter in the alphabet is the explosive rune. - starfries

Quote Originally Posted by Alucard View Post
    Good news, everyone!

I've done a lot of working packaging all my server changes and rejiggering so it makes sysadmins happier. The code is now on GitHub.

In case me and my credit card get hit by a ... win the lottery tomorrow, someone else will be able to run their own server, and with much less effort than I had to expend . The INSTALL directions may have 19 steps, but believe me that's distilled down and organized for your convenience.

I've been testing of course, but I won't think of everything. If anyone wants to try and test and send me bug reports or patches, they'd be welcome. Challenge my assumptions.

I don't actually know how to use git well, but if you send me a 'pull request', I'll figure it out.

My current server is pretty much running equivalent code, but it's not running directly off this code base. At some point I will probably switch over, to make my life easier (it shouldn't change anything about the user info).
    This is ... amazing. Thanks so much for the hard work Alucard. I was thinking about running one on my home server, more or less for myself, and this just takes all the hard work out of it. I have a 30x5 connection at home, so I doubt I could handle a ton of people hitting the connection (plus I run a Minecraft server on another Linux box at home, and that eats up a chunk of the upload).

Can't wait to get tinkering with this

Question for you Alucard: Is the ADOM server somewhat maintenance free? Is there anything you need to "stay up on" when running the server? (i.e. clearing logs, restarting nightly, etc?). Or is it pretty much just set it up, fire and forget? Just curious.
    Last edited by FatMagic; 12-12-2012 at 05:30 PM.

Hi!

I don't have a computer, just a N900 phone and would love to play on the ssh server. I can spectate sessions just fine, but...

Problem is when starting a new game, I get the error:
    Your terminal size appears to be 98x25 characters. A 80x25-sized terminal is
    REQUIRED for playing ADOM on this server. Please correct your terminal settings
    and try again.

I cannot resize the terminal to exactly 80x25, and since spectating works fine, this seems to be an artificial hurdle to get in the game.

Could the server admin pease remove the check and test with a 98x25 terminal? It should run just fine.

EDIT: on other ncurses games, displaying an 80x25 game in a 98x25 terminal just results in the game aligned to the left side of the screen. If his works with ADOM (like it does in spectator mode), the test should be changed to require a MINIMUM of 80x25. O please ye server gods have mercy on a pitiful newb.

Thanks and greetings to the ADOM community!
    Last edited by klapse; 12-12-2012 at 07:57 PM.

Looking forward to bug reports, in the documentation included

There's nothing you need to do every day - the included cron jobs take care of the cleanup needed - and you don't need to reboot at all. (When you do want to reboot though, try to cleanly save and quit all running games, or you may lose game time.)

If I put p1/p2 on the server, would anyone play?

Since not everyone has access to p4+, and p3 has that altar bug.

ancardia.us.to is not currently resolving, was fine a few hours ago.

It appears to work for me here, but when this happens, you can connect via IP: 198.101.219.241
    "And light there be!"

Quote Originally Posted by anon123 View Post
    It appears to work for me here, but when this happens, you can connect via IP: 198.101.219.241
    I also checked several DNS lookup services so fairly sure it's not at my end (in fact the us.to public registry doesn't list it currently either). Regardless, thanks a lot for the IP!

Google, OpenDNS, Comcast, and FreeDNS (the master) all have it

Code:
    alucard@thrawn:~$ dig +short a ancardia.us.to @8.8.8.8
    alucard@thrawn:~$ dig +short a ancardia.us.to @208.67.222.222
    alucard@thrawn:~$ dig +short a ancardia.us.to @75.75.76.76
    alucard@thrawn:~$ dig +short a ancardia.us.to @ns3.afraid.org
    So I don't see where the problem is.

us.to public registry
    ? still there in my view
    Last edited by Alucard; 01-16-2013 at 02:54 PM.