Page 17 of 41 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819202127 ... LastLast

Thread: SSH-accessible public ADOM server online (experimental)

Honestly, I didn't know it would cause problems
    or I wouldn't have messaged. I just wanted to
    experiment with it for a first time, and sure
    enough, I broke it : )

I think now that the info is out there though,
    people can just refrain from messaging durring
    critical spots, but yeah, blocking would be nice.
    "Whip me!" pleads the adom player. The rng replies... "No."

Quote Originally Posted by gut View Post
    Honestly, I didn't know it would cause problems
    or I wouldn't have messaged. I just wanted to
    experiment with it for a first time, and sure
    enough, I broke it : )

I think now that the info is out there though,
    people can just refrain from messaging durring
    critical spots, but yeah, blocking would be nice.
    There will be no per-user blocking. I'm going to actually, you know, *fix* the problems instead. Actually I consider the current message system more of stop-gap solution, and I plan to replace the entire spectation system at some point in a couple weeks.

If you are being heckled, the correct solution is to set firewall rules, not become deaf.

Quote Originally Posted by Soirana View Post
    That part i could lived. It was not moving up more than certain line after i acknowledged. Also i believe after i aimed at open space i got somewhere else.

It really gets messy if you are doing something like viewing messages would be nice to have option to block it for good.
    Ah, I think I see what's going on here - the message leaves the cursor in a different position than ADOM expects it, and so it loses tracking when doing the controlled teleport. It's probably possible to use SAGE and < > to re-align, I'll see about restoring cursor position after messages.

EDIT: done, messages no longer interfere with teleporting
    Last edited by sorear; 09-12-2009 at 03:12 AM.

Goodness, that was fast!

I think a new poster here once stated:

"I'm always amazed at how good and fast the support for
    free games are, compared to the kind you pay for."

and I think it applies here as well : )
    "Whip me!" pleads the adom player. The rng replies... "No."

Quote Originally Posted by sorear View Post
    There will be no per-user blocking.
    pitty. Sometimes i would like just play without hearing comments. It would be nice to have option to switch off comments for tough moments.

Although nice to hear problem with tp is fixed.
    So far rolled 15 casters with RoDS and shamelessly killed them within 200 turns. For eternium glory!
    (after 15 I stopped counting...)

Quote Originally Posted by Soirana View Post
    pitty. Sometimes i would like just play without hearing comments. It would be nice to have option to switch off comments for tough moments.
    Yeah, I also think that option would be interesting. Particularly for things like league games (such as the recent Weakest Link) where we explicitly want players not to receive too much help during the game.

Anyway, congratulations for the feature, it's really nice and as a programmer I wonder how you do these 1337 h4x (well, I code but I never got too deep into the world of unix, handling terminals, shells, processes and so on. But I'm glad other people do).

Quote Originally Posted by Al-Khwarizmi View Post
    Yeah, I also think that option would be interesting. Particularly for things like league games (such as the recent Weakest Link) where we explicitly want players not to receive too much help during the game.
    Argh, you people make such valid points. Is a toggle in the options menu good enough? Adding keybindings while playing isn't really an option, sadly (as there is no way to bind keys independantly for the player versus the spectator).

Anyway, congratulations for the feature, it's really nice and as a programmer I wonder how you do these 1337 h4x (well, I code but I never got too deep into the world of unix, handling terminals, shells, processes and so on. But I'm glad other people do).
    http://ancardia.ath.cx/talk_at
    http://ancardia.ath.cx/message_dispatch.c
    http://ancardia.ath.cx/message_display

Quote Originally Posted by sorear View Post
    Argh, you people make such valid points. Is a toggle in the options menu good enough? Adding keybindings while playing isn't really an option, sadly (as there is no way to bind keys independantly for the player versus the spectator).
    Yeah, it's more than enough IMO. It would support what I have just said about league games. And if a player wants to turn off the functionality during the course of a normal game, he only needs to save, disconnect and load again.

Yeah, it's more than enough IMO. It would support what I have just said about league games. And if a player wants to turn off the functionality during the course of a normal game, he only needs to save, disconnect and load again.
    Even easier than that; the setting can be changed in a separate login session, while the main session still runs the game.