Page 23 of 41 FirstFirst ... 1319202122232425262733 ... LastLast

Thread: SSH-accessible public ADOM server online (experimental)

Quote Originally Posted by Addison View Post
    Joy!

Thank you jaakos for the fast recovery!

Okay, I'm just going to throw this out to get a response from you.

Any possible chance we could get one slot to save scum a character?

I think my high score is something like 14,000 points.

I keep dying over and over without learning from my mistakes.

It would be nice not to keep starting from the beggining.

Of course using such a feature would disqualify one from having a valid score.

Any thoughts on this to help out us handicapped newbies?
    I would prefer not to see this implemented.

If you need help, ask around here and I'm sure someone would be happy to give you advice (free tip: play a grey elf wizard or an orc barbarian with candle starsign).

[edit]Question for jaakos: might it be possible to give each account its own personal high score list? The way it is currently set up, unless you get an absolutely massive score, your results will never appear.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

I was thinking of the exact same thing in regards to personal high scores.

I'd me more than happy if we could even get something simple like a personal top 3.

One of my biggest problems in the game is that I always choose to play as a human.

I can't picture myself as any other race.

Well, right now, I've completed the carpenter's quest, cleansed out all of the ants (very satisfying ) and I'm face to face with the little puppy dog for the first time.

Witness?!

One thing I still have trouble understanding in ADOM is the percent chance of hitting a monster.

I've read the manual but could someone explain it with an example?

Thanks.

> percent chance of hitting a monster.

Your to-hit vs monster's DV. You wanna more detail, wait
    for twinge.
    "Whip me!" pleads the adom player. The rng replies... "No."

That's something I've also wondered. Not any exact numbers necessarily, but a bit more detail. My current understanding of DV and to-hit is limited to "more is better".

So... anyone know how to fix my keymap thing? I would like to try playing on the server...

The exact problem is

/*
    * ADOM session aborted due to an external problem.
    * Problem Description: Duplicate keycode (9) for INM in line number 462.
    */

RndNumGenerator, try replacing the adom.kbd on the server with a local copy.
    Platinum Edition ADOMer
    http://gamesofgrey.com - check out my roguelikes!

Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    RndNumGenerator, try replacing the adom.kbd on the server with a local copy.
    How do I do that?

Log in and select the third option, though I don't know how you can do anything except edit the file directly... Care to enlighten the poor server noobs, Grey?
    ADOM Guides - whatever you wanted to know about playing a certain class, but have been afraid to ask!

Check out my youtube channel to see my ADOM videos, including a completed playthrough of the game. I try to give instructions, so if you want to see some place you haven't been before and get some hints on how to deal with it, this might help! There's also some other games featured there that you might find interesting.

Hrm, you used to be able to upload the file somewhere else and have the server copy it... Guess direct editting is the only method, or have request jaakkos to restore the default on the account.
    Platinum Edition ADOMer
    http://gamesofgrey.com - check out my roguelikes!

I guess I'm going to have to request that then, since I tried poking around in the keymap. I fixed the 9 error, but now it's giving me a 5 error:

[Initializing the keymap.]
    /*
    * Problem Description: Duplicate keycode (5) for MOS in line number 666.
    */

So I fixed that. Now I have this:

[Initializing the keymap.]
    /*
    * Problem Description: Duplicate keycode (1) for EXE in line number 419.
    */

My keymap is all messed up.

EDIT: I fixed it. I went into the file and deleted EVERYTHING, then copied and pasted from my winbeta keymap. It appears to be working now... I can make a character, at least.

EDIT 2: Nope, it's still broken. I can launch the game and make a character now, but the keymap is still screwed up... despite copying everything directly from my winbeta adom.kbd file, none of the keypresses work. 1(normally moves to the south-east) says I don't have any quests(normally q)... and 2(normally down) opens my inventory(normally i)
    Last edited by RndmNumGenerator; 01-12-2010 at 10:36 PM.