Page 4 of 41 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: SSH-accessible public ADOM server online (experimental)

Hi, i've been having some weirdo issues with trying to play on this server. I can normally use the numeric keypad to move around on adom winbeta4 without any issues. I've double checked that both my keymap config on the server and .kbd file for my winbeta4 for offline play are identical and yet, the keypad still is not working for movement on the server.
    Instead it magically brings up completly different commands like i was pressing keys that are on the other side of the keyboard. I also noticed that everything typed when making a new char is showing up as uppercase when i have caps lock off and am not using the shift key. Anyways its mostly the movement issue thats really annoying me at the moment.
    I haven't yet finished an ADOM game, but i haven't given up on trying yet either.

reich: You can make vlgs and flgs. In the main menu enable to ADOM directory and you will have a read-only web-space set up for your char with all your files in there, including any generated log files which you can downlaod to your computer.

rmcin239: It really doesn't hurt to read the readme file for the server, or check if your question has been asked already in the thread. Anyway, to fix the problem go into the "Features" tab of Preference in Putty. Choose to "disable application keypad mode" and save that in your default profile. Should sort out the numpad issue. Not sure about your caps lock problem, but if you go through the instruction in the readme it might sort itself out.

This is really a great server, jaakkos.

Full games on the server take much longer than usual, but it interestingly makes you think over your moves more carefully.

Also, somehow the possibility of being watched improves the play

Grey:
    80597504 Aadfh (dgrey). L50 drakish wizard (M). 25081184 xps. 20700
    turns. Won on 7/13/2008.

How did you manage this? :P 20k turn win. When I saw how far down my wizard closure ranked, I was wondering what it would take to be #1... but this....

Quote Originally Posted by LFk View Post
    How did you manage this? :P 20k turn win. When I saw how far down my wizard closure ranked, I was wondering what it would take to be #1... but this....
    By being obsessive - check out gut and greys antics over at http://adom.brinkster.net/forum/mess...ge=1&tmp=58738

I've still got him beat... by -> <- thiiissss much : ) He doesn't roll
    scum for a spellbook of teleport though, so that probably makes
    the difference. I made a (nearly) whole game demo of how to do it.
    "Whip me!" pleads the adom player. The rng replies... "No."

Yeah, gut's quite a bit ahead of me on 16k turns. I'll beat him some day No way I'll roll scum for a teleport book though - it takes long enough to get a char with a decent starsign and stats, and roll scumming on the server takes forever. It's not too hard to do the speedrun though, in my opinion, since it doesn't take long to get a few levels and a few books and the wizard become invincible.

Yikes.

Pretty impressive speed - i generally think of victories around 40-50k as 'fast', while it can take 80-120k for ones where all sidequests are done, perhaps a precrowning, and progressing generally very carefully.

Rolling tele is something I couldn't do though. I once had a wizard start with Tele, Acid Bolt, Invis, but with a horribly rolled Le at 12 :P It's hard to get the best of both worlds, and if anything, I would want to start on the right starsign over the right spellbooks (Wand, Salamander). Though i guess its possible to get a 18+ Le, correct star, and good starting books, I can't imagine how many rolls that would take

Do you think that the speedrun could be done with other classes? Teleport is a huge bonus of course, but book-reading takes time, and others can teleport too. I'm thinking of archer mainly.

Of course this hasn't got much to do with the server, but anyway...

Wizards can gain levels fast in the bug temple at the start, and spells in general kill enemies quicker and easier. Spells like magic map and farsight make for quicker exploration too, and they have much less reliance on equipment. I think a fast archer victory is possible, but nowhere near as quick. D50 and the temples would be especially slow to plough through.

I haven't tried playing quick games, but I imagine that the ability to kill several monsters in one turn makes magic the best form of offence. I think elementalist are the only real alternative to wizards, but getting the teleport spell with them is difficult.