Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thief guild: do you bother?

Default Thief guild: do you bother?

Just curious after seeing the discussion about the feature request. How many people actually do the quest to join the guild?

Personally I only bother if I want to go to the library later (which I usually don't). Detect traps has some use but I found I can easily live without it. Mostly I kill Yergius on sight for better prices in the black market.
    You steal a scroll labelled HITME. The orc hits you.

I'll join the guild if I can, but I'm not changing alignment just for that.

I usually reluctantly did it. Pickpocketing is rather boring, but Detect Traps is very handy in places like the Pyramid or Mana Temple.

But in the latest prereleases the quest seems to require much more grinding than before, so I no longer do it. I'll just live without Detect Traps unless the quest is nerfed again.

Quote Originally Posted by Al-Khwarizmi View Post
    I usually reluctantly did it. Pickpocketing is rather boring, but Detect Traps is very handy in places like the Pyramid or Mana Temple.

But in the latest prereleases the quest seems to require much more grinding than before, so I no longer do it. I'll just live without Detect Traps unless the quest is nerfed again.
    Wait a sec - you are not exited about bugfix?

As someone who plays dark elf wizards most of the time, Detect Traps is good, and I also like the possibility of increasing the advancement dice for Stealth and Pick Pockets, which tend to stall at +1d3 in the 60-70s. I imagine this is a good way of getting Climbing to 100 to enter the Rift too, although I've only gone there once.

Apart from that, I also like buying all the other skills for the sake of getting as many as possible!
    "And light there be!"

Depends, I guess. When I play my doomed characters, crossing the wilderness without high stealth, survival, or intrinsic invisibility is very, very annoying (and somewhat dangerous, of course!). So if I have a PC that doesn't start with stealth, I might consider it worth the effort to finish the thief quest and get it. And if I get that, I'll probably grab Detect Traps as well, though I don't use it very much.

For a regular, non-doomed PC, I normally don't bother.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

Quote Originally Posted by Soirana View Post
    Wait a sec - you are not exited about bugfix?
    Not about this particular one. I like most bugfixes but nothing is perfect!

Anyway, I'm not too bothered either. As I said, I already didn't like that quest before, I found it boring. Now it's so boring that I'm not even going to be tempted to do it, so I guess my games will be more fun.

I never bother with it as Detect Traps is largely useless. (naked heros running around like a chicken with its head cut off, triggering all sorts of traps ftw). Never had a problem with Climbing either...walking over the mountains on the way to TotHK usually gives good enough dice rolls.
    gate closers: GeWi GnMo(unarmed) DeAs/Pa/Mi(staves)/Ra GePr DrBb HrMo | p7: MeBf | p17: GnPr | p20: DrDu GnAs DeCk MeWp OrBf GnTh MeHe | R57: MeDu | R101: DrAs (26,674 turns) GnDu (26,748) DrAs (18,533)
    ULE: HeRa — OCG: DeMi
    currently speedrunning DrAs.

I always do it, because buying skills is priceless.

I have most characters join the guild, for Detect Traps, Stealth, and Climbing. It's very important to me to be able to get to the Rift and Library, 'cause I prefer casters or half-casters. I might not bother with a pure fighting class, but Detect Traps is always nice.

Without the guild, I can get climbing to 100 with 7LB and lots of mountain travel. I can get stealth to 100 by spending lots of time invisible and investing skill increases.