Page 7 of 41 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: SSH-accessible public ADOM server online (experimental)

This screenshot of Waldenbrook's shop should give you an idea what the colours look with my settings. For some reason the colours in this picture are somewhat dimmer than they appear when I'm playing on the server, which runs perfectly smoothly for me, but I'm located in Finland as is the server.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Will you release the sources for all this? this is really cool
    ADOM, where the most commonly used letter in the alphabet is the explosive rune. - starfries

Thank you Sin for that screenshot.

So does any know how to get in touch with jaakkos?

Are any of you good friends with him?

He is regularly active on the #adom IRC channel on IRCNet. You can probably catch him on there easily enough, and people there often discuss things about the server.

This is freakin' awesome.

Unfortunately, the RTT to Australia is a little too high to be really playable - around a second for me.

If you ever release the sources, I'd love to host a version down here.

I'm sorry I haven't been more active in the development of the ADOM server lately. I've been busy doing personal stuff, mainly university studies.

Addison:

> So does any know how to get in touch with jaakkos?

Well, at least IRC, as you already found out

I'm sorry to say I don't have a foolproof solution for your request yet. I'm actually on a lecture even now, but I'm trying to answer something...

If ADOM configuration doesn't (I'm actually not that familiar with all the details available in ADOM configuration) let you tune the colors as you wish, then, as I remember someone has actually suggested, you could use your SSH client's configuration to alter the colors.

Another solution would be hooking libncurses and altering the color values as they get drawn on the screen. This requires some coding, though.

Also, did you get the wall drawing working? It just looks like your SSH client just doesn't draw that stuff for some reason, so I guess the options are pretty much the same as with the color, thing... configuring your SSH client or using a libncurses hook, that is.

I'll also make an attempt to answer some other questions...

> Will you release the sources for all this? this is really cool

and

> This is freakin' awesome.
    >
    > Unfortunately, the RTT to Australia is a little too high to be really playable - around a second for me.
    >
    > If you ever release the sources, I'd love to host a version down here.

Thanks!

Indeed I'm willing to share the sources, scripts and configuration for everyone who is interested. The problem right now, however, is that the implementation consists of a bunch of custom python and bash scripts and a couple of C and C++ programs and the interaction between everything is essential to understand if you want to become a maintainer. I could just pack up everything in some tar package but it would just end up beign a great mess if there was no documentation about anything - and indeed there isn't yet...

Also some implemented features on the server are kind of broken, nothing too big and we know how to fix them, it's just a matter of time and interest, but I'd feel a bit uneasy to release that kind of stuff.

If you want bad enough, you could contact me in IRC and I could assist you in setting this up, but beware that as the topic of this thread says, alot of things are still kinda experimental

Hey Jaakkos!

Thanks for the response!

Yeah, I'm finally able to see the walls displayed correctly, it was actually a programming error that was packaged with the Xterminal I was using.

Anyway, thanks to this thread, that problem went away.
    Internet Tablet Forums

This sounds so petty, but it would be really great to have the original DOS colors to this game instead of what is currently being presented.

I don't have the first clue on how to alter my SSH client's configuration or hack libncurses though.

So is there a chance you could have the two main colors (yellow and pea green) user defined or perhaps even change those colors to better match the DOS version of ADOM?

Also since I have a touch screen keyboard that takes up all of the 25th row, is it at all possible to play ADOM with an 80x24 screen instead of 80x25?

If not, is there another way to view any status my character has such as bleeding or being hungry outside of the main dungeon screen?

Here's a picture of it on my tablet. The numpad can be minimized but not the bottom row of keys.

Thanks again for putting this together for us. I think it's a tremendous release and couldn't be happier with it.

Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by Addison View Post
    Also since I have a touch screen keyboard that takes up all of the 25th row, is it at all possible to play ADOM with an 80x24 screen instead of 80x25?
    Most probably not - 77x25 is the minimum size for ADOM.

some things i noticed about the server

1. i get to pick my birth sign, wow!

2. its pretty lagged, not too big of a deal though

3. It seems like every single dungeon floor has a tension room on it

4. loot seems to be better too.

Quote Originally Posted by Sradac View Post
    some things i noticed about the server

3. It seems like every single dungeon floor has a tension room on it

4. loot seems to be better too.
    Hehe, these should be totally due to random RNG behaviour

And yeah, you do get to select your birthsign on the server. This actually sparked a little controversy, whether it's appropriate to have such a function on the server or not. Well, at least it is there for now.

Hmm, the spectator screen seems to get filled with idle users... also the method for detecting whether people are idle or not sucks (md5summing /proc/<pid>/stat, heh) and a better one should be implemented by checking when ADOM executes instructions. For some reason, it seems, that the stat file might change even if ADOM doesn't do anything and this results in resetting the idletime for a user even if (s)he hasn't done anything.

I should probably purge users who have been idle for too long from the spectator menu.