Page 3 of 41 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: SSH-accessible public ADOM server online (experimental)

Wow, a public ADOM server at last!

(although I am no longer an active player, so no use for me... although maybe I could play in some team game)

Thanks for your work jaakkos!

I love this server! The ping is not so bad to be unplayable, but it's far from snappy (I live in Canada). I realize that Finland is home to a large adom community (it's enough to check the addresses of #adom idlers to see that they are all *.fi and suomi.*), but maybe it might make sense to run the same scripts on a North American server as well (and a pooled spectate option)?

What I mean is that you would be able to choose to connect to the geographically closest server to play, while it would be possible to spectate you from any of the servers in the 'network', with a shared high-scores list and savegame swap. (as I understand, you currently use screen to manage and view the sessions).

Of course this would require the scripts to be modified some, but it might be worthwhile if there are enough non-European servers that would be interested.

I'm doing one now. It didn't take long to figure the business out, and right now I'm playing a Lawful Neutral Mindcrafter on her way to a teleport wand. It's going well.
    Top Score in ADOM: 10.1M- Normal victory (Male Dwarven Paladin)

King of All Dwarves.

heh, despite the lag i'm going to attempt to start playing on the server.

I'm currently watching dest run around in PC

(never mind)

Hey, is there a way in spectator mode to go back to the lobby? Other than closing the terminal and connecting again.

Ok, I've got some problems. First the game crashed (I had dropped some stuff, then done some reading, and when I stepped on the stack of stuff ADOM crashed), that was ADOM and not the server malfuntioning as far as I can tell. Then it picked up some minutes back from a backup and advised me to save the game, I redrew the screen and everything looked fine, but then when I saved it started complaining again that it couldn't save, and ended up just putting out this again and again. Now I can't even start a new game, tried reconnecting the server too but when I launch ADOM it comes back to the same message.

Code:
    Fatal error: 
    "Directory stack overflow in 'SaveCurrentDirectory'." 

[PRESS ENTER TO CONTINUE]
    But had this happened on ADOM normally, there hadn't been a backup to start with.

Hi everyone, I've been a bit busy at work and personal life AND all the time I've had for ADOM has suddenly gone to playing a character who tries to win lawful ultra (for the first time, ultra that is).

Jim: "The ping is not so bad to be unplayable, but it's far from snappy (I live in Canada). I realize that Finland is home to a large adom community (it's enough to check the addresses of #adom idlers to see that they are all *.fi and suomi.*), but maybe it might make sense to run the same scripts on a North American server as well (and a pooled spectate option)?"

- This could indeed be possible. It however requires quite an amount of considerations and scripting, but I'll try to get back to that one when everything else gets more stable.

Ars: "Hey, is there a way in spectator mode to go back to the lobby? Other than closing the terminal and connecting again."

- ATM unfortunatlely no, but this is ~top priority.

---

OK and now some new stuff.

The server now lists player idletimes in the spectator menu. ATM they are generated just by md5summing /proc/<pid>/stat which results in false timer resets sometimes, but I'll make it better in time.

Then, there is the cryopid restore implemented. Cryopid snapshots your ADOM process every 10 minutes and the script is supposed to allow you to restore your game should it crash. However, as it is quite difficult to generate a crash for testing, it was left open for users to test and it looks like the results are as follows:

Ars: "Ok, I've got some problems..."

- This is interesting and thank you for the reply. I will see to this one now, I'll make another post if something worthy mentioning comes up.

Ars: "But had this happened on ADOM normally, there hadn't been a backup to start with."

- Indeed, the good side of the cryopid system is that there are alot of people who don't save too often and crashes are still a real PITA for them.

---

Thank you all for your interest!

Quote Originally Posted by Ars
    Code:
    Fatal error: 

But had this happened on ADOM normally, there hadn't been a backup to start with.
    I got your cryopid image. When I restore, it shows me you're in big room and when I try to save I get this:

Original fatal error:
    "Could not restore the temporary level data for 'adom_tdl01_0' [TLL]."

Fatal error:

My guess is that when the game is cryopidded, I also need to save temporary files that need to be restored if the cryopid image is restored.

I'll do this as soon as possible, and it would be very welcome for someone, for whom the game has crashed, to report the functionality of the cryopid system.

It could also be that the cryopid image should be executed from the correct directory, as, if I understood correctly, you did not get the temporary level data error, just the directory error.

ATM, the cryopid image restoration is disabled (the savegame system is in place, of course).
    Last edited by jaakkos; 07-22-2008 at 07:30 AM.

When playing on the server can I get a screenshot or character memorial file to my hard drive (in order to post it here, for instance)?