Page 1 of 41 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: SSH-accessible public ADOM server online (experimental)

Default SSH-accessible public ADOM server online (experimental)

EDIT FROM MODERATOR: jaakkos' is currently MIA, but there are other servers in action - details in this thread:

http://www.adom.de/forums/showthread...-accessible%29

Now back to the original post...

Hi there!

Over a year ago I got an idea, on a certain IRC-channel, about a public-accessible ADOM server. The idea was to implement something similar to the dgamelaunch-system used on NetHack servers.

You are able to create your own user account and then play on the server. dgamelaunch uses Telnet, but this implementation now uses SSH.

You would be able to spectate other players and have common hiscore-entries. You can edit your configuration files, as well. You can also make your ADOM-directory accessible on a WWW-server.

You can use ADOM Sage on the server, if you wish to.

Detailed information about all of this is available at: http://ancardia.ath.cx/adom_server_info.txt

As the txt says, this is still very experimental and all kinds of problems are expected For now, I'd like to hear your opinion about this. I'd also like to hear improvement ideas and innovative ways of using this kind of a system.

I've planned on creating, e.g., a challenge system on the server, so that you could play, say, eternium/... man and the challenge games would have their own hi-score and the system could probably make sure the player doesn't do prohibited (due to the challenge) actions in the game.

Also, these kinds of group-games (you gather a group of people and the save game is passed to the next one in the chain until someone dies and gets dropped, etc...) could be automated on the server.

I wish you have fun playing on the server, should you be interested enough to try!
    Last edited by Grey; 01-18-2013 at 08:01 PM.

Having played on this server numerous times (got my second win on there) I can say it is very good, though I find it a bit laggy in England. Spectating is a lot of fun, and the common high score table is nice to have. Could be very nice for future competitions...

Thanks a lot for setting this up, jaakkos, and the effort you've put into all the coding and maintenance.

I tried logging in, but it kept giving me an error saying that it was unable to create a temporary directory, and then it drops me back to the main menu.

and for me it tries to start gave when exits with some external problems.

Indeed I had messed up some file access rights big time.
    Please, recreate your users, what I just did should have fixed the problems.

My apologies!

sorry, what is this 'terminal size' and how to change it to 80x25?

EDIT: okay, I figured it out, just ignore me

EDIT 2: another problem, I can't use the numerical keys now to move the PC, it seems to be mapped out badly, for example when I press 7 it gives me the 'q'est screen.
    Last edited by reich; 07-13-2008 at 04:58 PM. Reason: blah

Quote Originally Posted by reich View Post
    sorry, what is this 'terminal size' and how to change it to 80x25?

EDIT: okay, I figured it out, just ignore me

EDIT 2: another problem, I can't use the numerical keys now to move the PC, it seems to be mapped out badly, for example when I press 7 it gives me the 'q'est screen.
    Did you skim through the readme? If you're using PuTTY, disable application keypad mode from the features-tab. It also tells you how to change the terminal size had you not figured it out yet Also, if you still have problems, try toggling the numlock key.

I apologize, but anytime I see any technical stuff my eyes just skip to the next paragraph Especially if it's under the 'misc' section. But thanks, I'm gonna play now

Quote Originally Posted by reich View Post
    I apologize, but anytime I see any technical stuff my eyes just skip to the next paragraph Especially if it's under the 'misc' section. But thanks, I'm gonna play now
    No offence taken!

Some thoughts about the server this far:

- Some of the people accessing the server are, indeed, geographically far from Finland. This likely equals to high round-trip times to the server (which is capable of handling quite an amount of traffic, but this doesn't have much to do with RTT). Has this been a problem for you, and if yes, what kind of RTTs (use the ping command to find out) do you have to the server?

- I heard complaints about being restricted to the 80x25 terminal. Do you think the restriction should be as it is now, or should variable game windows be allowed? Why should, why not?

- The challenge games and group games could be implemented using software such as cryopid and using the LD_PRELOAD environment variable, as ADOM Sage does for hooking ADOM. Suggestions are welcome I'm essentially talking about how to automatically enforce challenge game rules on the server.

- Do you think, when a game crashes, you should be allowed to restore your previous savegame as it now is, or should your game just be lost?

- By the way, your configs beginning with the dot (.) are not listed in apache2's directory listing at the user directory pages. You can access them by manually writing the URL, though. Just gotta conf apache2 to show them when I find time for it.

My ping varies - sometimes it's really bad, to the point that I can't play properly at all. Thankfully it seemed a little better during play last night (or maybe I just got used to it a bit more). Seems to be between 50-100ms most of the time. Not optimal, but manageable.

Don't see why people are moaning about 80x25 screen size - at least 90% of players use that default. If it's easy to implement then I guess it's not a problem to include, but if it's too much work I don't see why you should bother. Likely only a couple of people would use it, and I can see it being a lot of hassle to code in. Other features are more important.

I don't know how important "enforcement" of challenge rules might be, though it could be useful in some circumstances, such as force-saving after hitting a turn limit. Save-file swapping could be very handy for certain games like The Weakest Link or Roman Republic Challenge or any other silly things we dream up, and I can imagine it wouldn't be too terrifically hard to implement (could it even be done manually at present?) The most important thing would be the spectator element - don't know if there's any ways to spice that up even. Large spectator events could be done in conjunction with chatting on IRC. Individual high score tables might be made for specific challenges. Any ideas you yourself have?

The restore system is very nice, and is something many people will appreciate. I've had 2 crashes on the server already, which is equal to the number of crashes I've had on my own computer in the last 9 years. I never like restoring though (partly because I play for such long lengths without saving) so it's not something I would personally take advantage of.