Thread: Power Point Cost

Default Power Point Cost

I'm...confused on something. I went to bug place to gain a few extra exp for my character and I noticed something while I was playing around in here. I have Improved Fireball and it says it costs me 17PP to cast it. But...when I cast it...it's taking up a lot more. My last cast cost me 58PP...

Does the cost of power go up if you are throwing the fireball a long range? I used farsight and was really chucking those fireballs a long ways...and couldn't figure out why my power points were depleting so fast.

Edit: Is there anything else like this that can really make the PP cost of spells go up?

Havent played that much with casters but I know that:

Spell efficiency decreases PP usen.
    Low spell memory increases PP usen.
    Bookcasting : 3x PP usen.
    Wizard and Priest classpowers decrease PP usen.
    Some talents decrease PP usen or sumtin...

Then there were the special rooms, cant remember better...

There are special rooms that can increase the PP cost of spells. Dark-/silvernight will also increase PP cost depending on PC alignment.

Quote Originally Posted by Subconscious View Post
    Havent played that much with casters but I know that:

Spell efficiency decreases PP usen.
    Low spell memory increases PP usen.
    Bookcasting : 3x PP usen.
    Wizard and Priest classpowers decrease PP usen.
    Some talents decrease PP usen or sumtin...

Then there were the special rooms, cant remember better...
    Yeah...all of those I am aware of and put the knowledge to good use...but I am just utterly confused here. The ONLY thing I can think of is that it is costing me more to chuck that fireball that far...it just doesn't make any sense.

It's currently
    Month: 5/Salamandar
    Day: 20/140/ThreeWeek
    Moon: Waning

And I'm a neutral caster.

The PP cost listed is the base cost. In reality additional PP is subtracted according to the distance between you and the cast Imp. Fireball.

Throwing Improved Fireballs costs extra PP, dependent on the length of the throw. First, PP is reduced by simply casting the spell. After that, PP is reduced again according to the throw. You can even get killed by throwing it too far away, and gives a special death message. This was discussed in the Ways To Die thread.
    You hit Andor Drakon, the ElDeR cHaOs GoD, and severely wound him.
    The greater balor summons some help!
    The ratling duelist disarms you. You drop your blessed Trident of the Red Rooster (+36, 6d12+18) [+12, +12]. It flies to the west.
    Andor Drakon, the ElDeR cHaOs GoD, picks up the blessed Trident of the Red Rooster (+36, 6d12+18) [+12, +12].
    Andor Drakon, the ElDeR cHaOs GoD, wields the blessed Trident of the Red Rooster (+36, 6d12+18) [+12, +12].

After a quick test on my necro, it seems that the casting cost of Improved Fireball does increase with the range increment. Mine says 30pp, and casting it on myself costs 33pp whereas casting it 5 spaces away costs 49pp and at 10 spaces 68pp.

Crazy. I was never aware that it did that...have to be pretty careful when I start throwing them across the screen I guess