Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Idea for ADOM Team Competition

Ohh... Im going to summer cottage with my friends this weekend.
    Soooo If nobody is against, I will start my char at the beginning of the next week.
    Relying on your patience - Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Subconscious View Post
    Ohh... Im going to summer cottage with my friends this weekend.
    Soooo If nobody is against, I will start my char at the beginning of the next week.
    Relying on your patience - Thanks.
    moreorless the same for me
    but if finally it is a "solo" game who is selected, remove me... i can do it alone at home, without a forum !
    Science sans conscience n'est que ruine de l'?me (rabelais)

Dieu ne joue pas aux d?s (Einstein)

you want to fight me?!

gut:
    > As for a challenge name, how about Battle for Ancardia's Destiny. BAD.
    > Maybe that's just my own sense of humor though : )

Heh, that's terrible - I love it.

> Oh, and how did I know that Grey would end up on the evil side
    > of things...

Are you afraid, lawful? Doubt not your fate - darkness will overwhelm this competition and chaos shall prove supreme! (yes, it's starting again... :P)

Go team Chaos! We've got great players and the best class-set. Races are... well, shite, but we'll perservere. Important points:

-We have no PoCCs from druid, no SoCRs from mystic, white unicorn will be hostile and we get more corruption when crowned. Let's make sure the char gets started with the bug temple available and gets the tome from the Library. Melee classes will especially have to be careful of corrupting hits. Saving Khelly is justified in role-play for self-interest reasons - we only care about our own skin after all, and we can kill him later.
    -Orcs and trolls have awful lifespans and must be wary of all ghosts. Take advantage of their inability to see invis or keep them out of range with missiles or spells. Pool-sipping is ill-advised.
    -Dark elves are quite cool with great skills, but are weak as hell early on with the lowest HP regen of any race - be bloody careful with them at the start.
    -Trolls start strong and tough, and though they have problems later on they're good chars for less experienced players to have their fun with. If you feel uneasy about choosing a weak char then go for a troll (orcs can be pretty buff too).
    -Necromancers, Thieves, Assassins and Barbarians all need Healing (unless Candle-born), and are best getting it the chaotic way if possible. Monks will want Herbalism from the druid whilst priests are best off with the frost bolt spell.
    -First kill is utterly irrelevant, so don't get yourself killed needlessly in the bandit village. Similarly avoid other early game pitfalls such as SMC and VD7. Stick to the easy levels till the char is buff enough to progress.

It'd be nice if we could play some games on the ADOM server - that way we could all spectate and chat on IRC. I can create a joint account on there for us all to use and PM the password to everyone. Means no save file swapping and the ability to give each other advice during play. With multiple accounts we could even all play and spectate at the same time (it's possible to log in multiple times and spectate lots of games at once whilst also playing). Some may have difficulties with this though.

Most importantly though, we should have fun. And win of course. No fun in not winning.

Somebody should set up the Official Team Threads. As for a name, how about something like Clash of Alignment or Race Wars, since each team will essentially be divided into different races.

EDIT: I also wouldn't mind being on a different team. I really have an easer time with either L or C, but I'm not really able to stay N for any length of time, so I'd just end up getting myself disqualified.
    Last edited by Shadow_2014; 07-18-2008 at 05:24 PM.

Race Wars! Sounds so wrong yet feels so right Yeah, we really need those official threads up soon for initial discussion and planning before we start the competition.

It looks like there will be no proper magicians available for us in team lawful. Three or four classes will start with concentration, though, so spellcasting is still an option if we happen to stumble upon some useful books.

Chaos God ending warrants two points, eh? That seems a little unbalanced in my opinion. I realise it's harder to accomplish than an ordinary win, but shouldn't Neutral and Law have some way to get two points as wel, otherwise the Chaos team has the ability to just plain get more points than the other two.

Shadow- I swapped you with Lich, who didn't list a preference. You're with the L now.
    Grey - I'm from america so the server runs SUPER slow for me. However, I can spectate, which will be a lot of fun

Maybe what team chaos can do is to set up a character to be passed around the old fashioned way, and a character to be shared on the server for those who don't experience lag.

To the rest: I've set up all three threads.

I will comb the threads about once a day and update the status of the PCs in the first post. This is to allow the other teams to see your progress, because we know we just all love knowing about other adventures

As for the chaos god ending being worth two points, if anyone else thinks that's unfair then let me know. I don't anticipate 18 wins from 18 PCs, but more like 2 wins total if we're lucky :P I kind of feel like it opens the option for the chaos team to take a gamble, as we know preparing to fight andy, with no ToTRR to boot, requires a treacherous road. (Corruptions, getting the medal and crown, etc).

As for the classes, I really did randomize it and I didn't meddle because I didn't see any real horrible balance issues. I think the Lawful side still received very strong classes. While devoid of pure casters, Literacy and Concentration at 100 with decent Le can open up magic to any class. Paladins still find spellbooks 2.5x more than normal classes, making them a great melee/caster hybrid. While the Chaos side randomed 3 great classes (Barbarians/Monks having innate 7LB-like abilites) their guaranteed classes are all tricky to play. Necromancers are somewhat tough to keep alive, and Thieves and Assassins require a certain amount of spacing and thinking to keep alive in the early game. Neutrals may have gotten the worst. I really don't take a fancy to any of the classes save for Rangers (great skillset) and elementalists. I find fighters in particular to be Barbarian Lites, not as strong, not as tough, with the +PV effect to be much weaker than the Barbarian's excellent low energy movement.
    Last edited by LFk; 07-18-2008 at 09:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by baby-eater View Post
    Chaos God ending warrants two points, eh? That seems a little unbalanced in my opinion. I realise it's harder to accomplish than an ordinary win, but shouldn't Neutral and Law have some way to get two points as wel, otherwise the Chaos team has the ability to just plain get more points than the other two.
    That's not unbalanced, considering how problematic it is to be chaotic. Lawfuls could get 2 points for getting the Platinum Girdle...

Double points for OCG is a bit too high I think. We might want a more spread out system like:

1 point for getting the fire orb then dying
    2 points for getting the mana orb then dying
    3 points for gate-closing win
    4 points for OCG win
    5 points for gate-closing win with platinum girdle

Might make a more interesting points tally at the end. Of course the balance guys might think this a little unfair.