Thread: Which classes find which items?

Default Which classes find which items?

It's quickly obvious playing ADOM that different classes are more likely to find certain items. Wizards clearly find MANY more spellbooks than barbarians for example.

I'm currently playing a healer (not a class I've used much before) and despite having treasure hunter I don't seem to find much of anything! I'm Lvl17 and the best armor I have available to me is the artifact mummy wrapping and a [4 3] shield.

What has really surprised me is that I'm not finding many tomes (3 so far - web, light and stun ray). I'd always thought that healers were primarily spell casters, but clearly not!

Despite finding very little armor, magic or weaponry I'm not doing bad as I've had a few lucky breaks. RoDS & a few sips from a pool have yielded 3 sets of seven league boots and a GoGS. I also got precrowned with serpents bite which is handy as I had primarily been training daggers anyway.

I'm curious if anyone knows exactly which items are favoured by each class and also if race comes into the equation.

I think the spellbooks are the only items that depend on class, as I haven't noticed much of a difference otherwise, while the huge amounts of books spellcasters find is quite noticeable. Healers aren't considered spellcasters by the game, so they get shafted when it comes to finding books (unless you get lucky and find a book store somewhere).

However, I am sure, there are different odds for different games. Some of my chars never tend to find any blankets at all, while others swim in potions of everything. Also I noticed differences in games finding good melee weapons. Some characters just have tons of them, other have problems not going bare-handed at times. Then, if I find SLB, I am almost sure to find another one or two in the same game. In my current game, I got the second girde of giant strength, while before I never even had one of them. Probably, drop probabilities are initialized a little randomly at the beginning of a game - just like it happens with monster difficulties.

You might be onto something there. I've found 3 rings of invisibility already this game.

I am currently trying testing the smithing skill with pro-weaponsmiths and amateur nonsmiths. My current test amateur smith is a wizard. He started with magic missile, but after that, the next 4 offensive spellbooks he found were ALL lightning bolt. Then fire, frost, lightning bolt AGAIN and then magic missile.

It was weird. I mean, I like lightning bolt, but you know, variety is the spice of life.

/if I find loads more lightning bolt books, will keep youse informed
    //of course, because I created the PC deliberately to become a smith, I haven't yet managed to generate a stupid blink dog corpse, and have therefore not been able to check out safe Kherab slaying options. Not had any randomly generated pickaxes either. Just having one is kinda lame.

You always remember the special cases, and not the games where you find equal amounts of everything :P Besides, flipping two heads then two tails is just as likely as flipping 4 tails in a row.

Wizards, priests, druids and necromancers all find more spellbooks I think. Priests and druids find less offensive spellbooks and more of the likes of Bless and Cure spells - they very rarely find ball spells (easy to go a game without). It's rumoured that archers find more ammo (possibly perception based) and that merchants find more items of their speciality, but if that is the case then it's not hugely noticeable. Merchants do find more shops in my experience, and farmers are more likely to find herb levels I think. Bards are meant to get more lucky finds - manual says they have a knack for stumbling upon powerful items, and that's certainly true in my games.

Grey: "You always remember the special cases, and not the games where you find equal amounts of everything :P Besides, flipping two heads then two tails is just as likely as flipping 4 tails in a row."

Yes, maybe it's just that. We will never know. Perception is misleading here, especially if you once wait for a single item, and the other time you have 2 of them. Quite low numbers for statistics. Maybe I overinterpret TB's statements on "the knowledge of the player" against "the knowledge of the character", and that two games are never the same. You know that, for instance, most(all?) of the objects with known unidentified despcription sometimes just are different things. Some are more random, some less, I think. Probably, the code contains that info, but the guidebook doesn't. But on the other hand, the Creator wanted myths...

You say farmers find more herb levels? That's entirely possible!

I, for one, always noticed that my weaponsmiths find a forge or two in almost every dungeon.

I think archers find more missile weapons and ammo - I always have scougars everywhere.

Merchants are supposed to find more of everything, right? That's the only trait that justifies this weak class' existence.