Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Favorite race/class?

Smile Favorite race/class?

What is your favorite race and class combination? Mine is a Dwarfen Preacher or Human Beastfighter. Come to think of it, I actually have alot of combinations I like to use.

Is a Preacher a Priest?

I'm sure if you do a search on this you'll find a bunch of identical threads to this one

But i'm never one to dwell on that... it's not like this board is super cluttered. I don't think the average of 2 new threads/day is really going to cause too much thread confusion.

I favor classes with versatility, and thus are almost always able to use whatever they find. I like (Type) Elven Paladins. Always played N or L as well, as C paladins lose their best class power, the DV boost. Or rather, get a DV boost against all of the 3 lawful monsters you'll fight during the course of the game. Bards are also nice, following along the versatile line, though they can be randomly extremely powerful or mediocre.

I also enjoy wizards, as a greater number of challenge games are open to them.

For general trends, I personally do not fare well with PCs that cannot make use of magic.
    Thus, I find the elven races to be my favorite for high Le/Ma, which can push melee classes into borderline casters, particularly if comboed with the right starsign and talents.

I find Trolls and Orcs to be particularly intolerable. On top of being extremely slow to learn, they have all sorts of weaknesses not the least of which they are able to get killed unceremoniously on D:50 by a lucky Ghost Lord.
    Classes like fighter are my least favorite. They are by no means weak, but absolutely average in every way. They seem to be just a downgraded version of the barbarian, and still barely able to do much but hack and slash. They have no special skill or flavorful way you can play them, like a playing a thief who pilfers every shop.

I've always loved grey elven rangers, don't really know why, but it's the combination I'd like most to get a win with. Appart from that, I play more or less everything I get randomly, although I use to play more with wizards, maybe because they're way easier to play for me :P

Orcs are not slow to learn, at least not significantly. Orcish barbarians are among the easiest starts of the game, and their short lifespan essentially means there is one type of monster more to run away from, which is common in ADOM anyway Very powerful classes include wizards and archers, both very good candidates for first wins.

I like combinations that give me exceptional skillsets, such as drakeling fighters, dark elven rangers or paladins, high elven weaponsmiths, dark elven beastfighters. I like spells, but I don't particularly miss them if I can't get them.
    ADOM Guides - whatever you wanted to know about playing a certain class, but have been afraid to ask!

Check out my youtube channel to see my ADOM videos, including a completed playthrough of the game. I try to give instructions, so if you want to see some place you haven't been before and get some hints on how to deal with it, this might help! There's also some other games featured there that you might find interesting.

Personally, I like me a good gnome necromancer, but that comes from my favored class in DnD...a, well, gnome necromancer.
    Necrophilia isn't *that* bad!
    --Kyle Cope, a gentleman and a scholar.

I like assassins in general, and drakish farmers, elven paladins (esp. dark) and overall MONKS - orcish, DE and gnomish monks.
    Gnomish mindcrafters also have someting. But I also like trolls at times and very often, I just play fate. Not becoming philosophic, I won't mention how much adom helped me learning to accept and embrace what (and what not) I have, using that to the best, in contrast to what I could have had, if for instance I had not tried to convert that chaotic altar. As long as you(r PC) breath(es), everyhing is possible.

Dark elven ranger is my favorite because of the skill set.

Having never gotten a win yet, I often just let fate determine my race/class combo. just recently though, I started going through every combination, one by one. I began with Humans just the other day, so at the moment, I'm working on a Human Archer who's made it to level 12 so far.

I think it was some form of Elven Archer who I was using the only time I encountered the Banshee, Graveyard, and Water Temple. So, I suppose they would be my favoured class at the moment. It's a shame they're such a newb class, but I guess everyone needs a pretty overpowered PC for their first win, to rule out a silly human error or miscalculation putting an end to it.

I think when I'm done with this character, I'll try out some favoured combos from some of you guys. I don't think I've ever intentionally tried a fair number of them. Often when fate rolls me up something I'm not used to, I don't put much work into managing their skills or trying to keep them alive.

EDIT: Speaking of my Archer, I just got a wish from a pool. I've got Long Stride and Quick, so I'm thinking I probably don't need SLB's. Is there anything particularly handy for an Archer that I should bother with, or should I just get some Red Dragon Mail or a Girdle of Giant Strength? A Cloak of Invis would definitely help in the Pyramid, but should I use a Wish for one?
    Last edited by Shadow_2014; 08-02-2008 at 08:48 PM.

I forgot to mention that I have not won the game yet, and am a relative noob as I have only been playing for about a year or so. My personal preference is the hack and slash type of character, but I tonight I may try an archer or wizard/necromancer. I personally think the orc and troll classes are the worst, as the requirement for food and being very dumb, they are not worth my time.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow_2014 View Post
    EDIT: Speaking of my Archer, I just got a wish from a pool. I've got Long Stride and Quick, so I'm thinking I probably don't need SLB's. Is there anything particularly handy for an Archer that I should bother with, or should I just get some Red Dragon Mail or a Girdle of Giant Strength? A Cloak of Invis would definitely help in the Pyramid, but should I use a Wish for one?

If you are before Khelavaster, then it's almost always prudent to wish for an AoLS.
    It is all the corruption removal you will need in a full game, in addition to a guaranteed source of on-demand Teleportation and Invisibility.

It is all circumstantial, however. I will tell you though, that Long stride and Quick are no replacement for 7LBs