Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Magic in JADE

Default Magic in JADE

One thing in all RPG's that i love using is magic. I tend to roll casters a good 80% of the time and quick agile melee the other rest. While ADOM's magic system was quite versatile with all the types of spells, pretty in depth and pretty satisfying i always felt it was lacking in certain aspects and that was the number of spells. Yeah ADOM has a decent variety of spells but i always felt it was a bit lacking and maybe JADE could improve upon that, really all there was in ADOM were damage spells such as fire ball, magic missle, and death ray. Healing spells that healed wounds disease and poison. And Utility spells ranging from knock and invisibilty to strength of atlas and wish. I'd like to see not only more types of spells but also more spells in those existing groups. Possibly some tap spells, spells that leech enemies life and maybe even lower enemy stats while temporarily increasing yours. PP taps. A temporary enchantment to a weapon such as adding +1d6 fire damage to it, or even a stun ray type effect buff for a weapon.

And the available spells were kinda slim pickings, its kinda dissapointing knowing there is only ONE ranged cold spell and it can only be cast in the cardinal directions. Maybe add a spell that does higher damage than the basic frost bolt but will only one enemy the one it strikes first, kind of like improved fireball except with no area damage. A targetable damage spell that you cast at a specific location regardless of whats in your way. I could totally see an orc sorcerer conjuring up flames from the ground underneath an unsuspecting victim, quite surprised to see flames erupt around them.

Maybe a fire spell that ignites enemies dealing damage over time. And even things as simple as casting your basic bolt spells but NOT in the cardinal directions they can follow a path just like missile weapons. Maybe a stronger version of magic missile that dosent bounce of walls. A "shock" spell that deals less damage than lightning bolt but has a chance to stun an enemy. A firebolt spell that costs less PP than firebolt but also deals less damage. And even more damage types maybe, a poison bolt that poisons whatever enemy it hits, a spell that conjures up a huge waves and crushes the enemy with both water and physical damage. A Pure light spell that while not doing a heck of a lot of damage has a high chance of blinding whomever is hit by it. A physical damage spell that calls up spikes of earth from the ground, or causes stalagtites to fall from the ceiling. A spell of pure force that can knock enemies back while damaging them. A blizzard spell, same targeting as improved fireball deals less damage and has a 50% chance to slow enemies caught within the frigid winds. Not sure how much this could be implemented I dont know how The Creator scripts his spells but I know things similar to this exist in other Roguelikes namely ToME. And maybe finally REAL pet spells that summon a friendly monster instead of hostile ones like summon monster does, whats the point of that spell lol. Conjuring up a temporary weapon or piece of armor. Summoning food when you run low. The possibilities are really endless. Even a spell that when used in the wilderness will temporarily animate a tree and have it fight for you for a certain time!

Just some suggestions, again I liked ADOM's magic there's just so much more than can be done with it than your basic, cause damage, heal damage, teleport spells.

Some good ideas here, but of course one should be careful not to make spells overly powerful. Another catch is that if the score is turn based, you certainly don't want almost all of the spellbooks you find to be virtually useless.

Will there be a library in JADE? I wonder how that would work with extra spells/spellbooks available.

My thoughts: spell of 'visibility,' spell of 'ageing' and that spell that ogre magi have! (perhaps from eating a corpse)

Gaining monsters' spells from eating their corpses would be very nice

There's some nice ideas you've got there, Sradac, but as Dougy said they do need to be balanced in the game. In ADOM wizards can get a bit too powerful, with offensive magic and utility spells riding them through the end game. Would be nice if there were areas of the game where you couldn't use magic, or where it has very negative repurcussions - I'm thinking like how the Mana Temple makes things difficult, but something more extreme.

Think, the balancing could be done as follows: some testers play the game, enjoy it, and then share their opinions.
    "Wow!" - says one - "Acid ball spell rocks!"
    "Indeed" - says another - "It's so cool!"
    "In next release it'll be much weaker, Bwahahahaha!!!" - laughs The Creator.

Of cource this process can take a long time...
    Me is troll, me is moomintroll! Me likes ADoM... Me likes Dwarf Fortress... Dis two games is the ones best!

Oh, me likes zombies too!

I really like the idea of adding enchantments. Could make magic more applicable to fighters and such.

Thumbs up

I agree that there should be more damage-over-time spells and nifty cantrips in JADE than ADOM. I also like the enchantment idea. What about melee-specialized characters having melee combat specific special abilities in order to alleviate the imbalance?

I'd like to see some major changes in magic system in ADOM. First, I don't like the fact, that when you play wizard/priest in ADOM you can relatively easily (library) learn every spell in game except the Wish. IMHO player should face some game defining choices when playing, for example some spells should be mutually exclusive (if you learn some high level frost spells, you can't cast anything more than burning hands from fire spells repertoire), some spells should need prerequisites (for example to learn enchanced fireball spell you'd need at least lvl 10 in fireball spell).

I know that this sound more like tree skill system from Diablo II than magic system from ADOM. I have to admit that the skill system was one of few things I liked in Diablo II, because effectively every class had at least few subclasses depending on the chosen skills, and I'd love to see something like that in JADE.

Quote Originally Posted by chalup View Post
    I know that this sound more like tree skill system from Diablo II than magic system from ADOM. I have to admit that the skill system was one of few things I liked in Diablo II, because effectively every class had at least few subclasses depending on the chosen skills, and I'd love to see something like that in JADE.
    Couldn't agree more, you've had 2 posts so far in this forum Chalup, for 2 AWESOME ideas. I hope The Creator and community enjoys your ideas as much as I do.

Default Magic requirements

I also think mages should not have free equipment reign. In most RPGs fighters suck at magic, but the trade off is they walk around in huge plate mail. In ADOM, a mage can enjoy that plate mail and still blast enemies with magic. Wearing heavy armor should severely impede magic casting, such as increasing the failure rate or something. Exceptions could be items like mage plate, or items of elven craft.

Quote Originally Posted by Sradac View Post
    Maybe a fire spell that ignites enemies dealing damage over time.
    GREAT idea! could be an improved Burning Hands spell, or an "Ignition Bolt"... the ignited monster could change his color to a light or dark red, changing every turn, and run to random directions... I almost can see that red-coloured ogre magus running desperately... Burn, baby, burn! jajaja

PLEASE Thomas, you MUST include a spell like this one in JADE
    Last edited by Tian; 03-13-2008 at 10:14 PM.